Brown v NYU-LISOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramallama_cheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love your advice & insight

Brown (Alpert):
Pros:
  • Phenomenal match list
  • Opportunities to pursue my passions; resources & support to do it
  • Social justice focused
Cons:
  • Decent location, not great campus
  • Students don't seem particularly cohesive at Brown / PLME v traditional v nontraditional
  • Expensive!
NYU-LISOM
Pros:
  • Full tuition scholarship
  • Conditional residency match
  • Faculty/staff success intrinsically tied to my own
Cons
  • New medical school: No track record, vetted infrastructure /education, or older classmates
  • Residency: Winthrop is not a high ranking residency; not clear if other residency directors would like 3yr md grads
  • Moderately restricted to IM (you can pursue other residencies or advanced fellowships, if you change your mind)

Members don't see this ad.

What are your goals? You're gonna come out way ahead money-wise with NYULI free tuition combined with being an attending a year sooner. Like it's not close.

Reactions: 1 user
hi! i'd personally go w brown if you're interested in a 'prestigious' residency (though im not sure how much this really matters for IM). i interviewed at NYU-LI; they really sold up the idea that there is 'just no need' to interview out for residencies in the third year and seemed to imply that there wasn't very much support for students who apply outside of winthrop. it's possible that they simply didn't feel a need to elaborate, but that felt like a huge question mark. i would recommend asking some specific questions about what types of supports NYU-LI will have if students are to apply to outside residencies (mentorship, research opportunities, step 1, coaching with regards to 'what to look for in residencies').

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Brown - going through a new medical school will require you to be a guinea pig at times. some things might not run smoothly for the very first class, and you'd have to deal with that. Brown simply seems a safer bet - the match list remains very strong yearly! If you go to NYU LISOM, I am worried that you'd be compelled to be "locked in" at the school's location for residency - what if you need something different by then? It seems to me that more diverse future opportunities will come their way with Brown

I would go with brown unless you are certain you want primary care. While the free tuition would be great at NYU, if you don't know for sure that you want one of those residencies then you are pinning yourself into a corner it seems

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at Brown. From what I remember about their avg aid figures, barring a big merit scholarship, you are likely taking out an extra 100-150k to go to Brown. That would be worth it if you have a strong orientation towards academic medicine OR if you are not dead-set on IM and matching at NYU Winthrop. Otherwise, the needle is in favor towards Brown.

On the other hand, keep in mind that Brown, at the end of the day, is not a top school (maybe the best of the mid-tiers) and that is reflected in the match list. It’s very solid but there are more than a handful not matching at top programs. I don’t think location is a pro for Brown. Providence can be a boring place, and it’s much easier to get into the city from Nassau County than it is to get into Boston (LIRR > MBTA), not to mention that Boston pales in comparison to NYC. If you have ties to NYC and you save $$$, it may not be so clear cut to you.

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up going with Brown. It was a tough call but I am not ready to commit to a residency at Winthrop, and from what I gathered, it’d be hard to match elsewhere.