BRS for biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am D-U-M-B in biochem but i used BRS (same author who wrote our textbook) trough out 1st year. anyone think that i should go back to it? the consensus around seems to be HY biochem and HY cell/molec. is good.
thanks for your thoughts,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

streetdoc said:
so i am D-U-M-B in biochem but i used BRS (same author who wrote our textbook) trough out 1st year. anyone think that i should go back to it? the consensus around seems to be HY biochem and HY cell/molec. is good.
thanks for your thoughts,
streetdoc

I'm with you on BioChem. I don't like it and so have really never embraced the subject. That being said, I guess there will be questions on Step 1 we will have to negotiate. I looked at just about every book available for review (BRS, HY, Lipp, FA, Kaplan) and my opinion is that Kaplan does the best job for the amountof time required to read it. At least I understand a little now. The bonus is that the Molecular Bio section in the front is easy to understand and learn from as well.

If you can get a copy for a couple of days, it might help.

RJ

Row Jimmy said:
I'm with you on BioChem. I don't like it and so have really never embraced the subject. That being said, I guess there will be questions on Step 1 we will have to negotiate. I looked at just about every book available for review (BRS, HY, Lipp, FA, Kaplan) and my opinion is that Kaplan does the best job for the amountof time required to read it. At least I understand a little now. The bonus is that the Molecular Bio section in the front is easy to understand and learn from as well.

If you can get a copy for a couple of days, it might help.

RJ

Yeah, but how many days (assume 8 hours per day) does it take to read and really get something from it?

Pox in a box said:
Yeah, but how many days (assume 8 hours per day) does it take to read and really get something from it?

Hi,

A couple of us figured out that with the Kaplan book divided comfortably in three sections following the webprep lectures, the pace is as follows:

Chapters 1-10 = 6h
Chapters 11-18 = 5.5h
Medical genetics section 2, chapters 1-6 (all) = 7h

If you do not have the online lectures, the pace will go a lot faster, since the professor that teaches the biochem section really takes his time explaining things, but you do internalize that material that way, in any case, the book is a fairly decent read. I used Lippincott's Biochem during first year and used the BRS for the shelf. Although I loved both books, the Kaplan seems to hit more of the "Higher-Yield" points than the other books, since they are a little outdated. That said, Lippincott put out a new Biochem book last year that might be better, but it is a HUGE text. Bottom line, if you can get ahold of a Kaplan Biochem book, good, if not, Lippincott might be better. Good Luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the Kaplan Lecture Notes for biochem for step 1...First Aid was good basically as a "study guide" to make sure you understand those points, but I'm definitely not using it as my only source. Just remember to do the Qbank and NBME questions since they really take your level of understanding to the next level, as the Step 1 is a reasoning exam.

Pinoy Power!

Search the other biochem thread - within last week - it discusses books for biochem and will answer your original question thoroughly.

can you buy just the kaplan biochem book (my friend has a CD of the web prep stuff-completely legit :D )? and how good is kaplan for the molecular pictures? HY molec looks very good, i just don't think i have the time, energy, or knowledge to UNDERSTAND biochem to the level i'll need on the boards. geez, i'm getting worried. ok, can anyone shed light on how good kaplan is for us dumb people?
thanks,
streetdoc