-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
K
kaleidoscopic
They invited me for an interview 1 week after confirming that they received my application.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
K
kaleidoscopic
I had my interview way back in November. They called 2 weeks later. It might take a little longer now, so hang on!
I finally just sent in my application this morning. I'm sure it's too late at this point... the Dean of my Honors College was supposed to write a letter for me to be completed by the middle of winter break - long story short, he is a ridiculously busy man and he "thought" he had completed my letters... after nagging him for ~2wks he finally apologized profusely for not having it done. Sigh. But he finally wrote it, and from what I heard from admin at my own school's post bacc, he writes killer good letters. He's a mentor, so I dont doubt the letter is excellent... but it's late, sooo I dont know.
Sorry - needed to vent. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet, and congrats to those who were accepted!
Sorry - needed to vent. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet, and congrats to those who were accepted!
I finally just sent in my application this morning. I'm sure it's too late at this point... the Dean of my Honors College was supposed to write a letter for me to be completed by the middle of winter break - long story short, he is a ridiculously busy man and he "thought" he had completed my letters... after nagging him for ~2wks he finally apologized profusely for not having it done. Sigh. But he finally wrote it, and from what I heard from admin at my own school's post bacc, he writes killer good letters. He's a mentor, so I dont doubt the letter is excellent... but it's late, sooo I dont know.
Sorry - needed to vent. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet, and congrats to those who were accepted!
The deadline is Feb 8th, as long as you sent it priority or express, then it should be there on time. I called up Bryn Mawr last week to confirm if they received some parts of my application and they didn't mention anything about applications being closed yet.
Hello,
I hope to join everyone at Bryn Mawr soon. I have an interview soon, and I've been researching for about a week. I would appreciate any information or stories that anyone could offer me. Specifically:
1)what is acceptable attire? I usually wear a suit and tie to an interview, but I have noticed the extra formality might seem awkward if it isn't the norm.
2) Are there any quirks or odd questions that I need to be possibly aware of?
Really, any information would be a big bonus to me.
Thanks
I hope to join everyone at Bryn Mawr soon. I have an interview soon, and I've been researching for about a week. I would appreciate any information or stories that anyone could offer me. Specifically:
1)what is acceptable attire? I usually wear a suit and tie to an interview, but I have noticed the extra formality might seem awkward if it isn't the norm.
2) Are there any quirks or odd questions that I need to be possibly aware of?
Really, any information would be a big bonus to me.
Thanks
You will look awkward in a suit and tie on campus. I did. And then I did again for my med school interview. Unfortunately, it's considered par for the course so you don't have much of a choice. Try to enjoy it.
No quirky questions my year, but who knows what has changed by now? They really just want to assess your maturity and how realistic your vision of a career in medicine is.
Good luck.
No quirky questions my year, but who knows what has changed by now? They really just want to assess your maturity and how realistic your vision of a career in medicine is.
Good luck.
Hello,
I hope to join everyone at Bryn Mawr soon. I have an interview soon, and I've been researching for about a week. I would appreciate any information or stories that anyone could offer me. Specifically:
1)what is acceptable attire? I usually wear a suit and tie to an interview, but I have noticed the extra formality might seem awkward if it isn't the norm.
2) Are there any quirks or odd questions that I need to be possibly aware of?
Really, any information would be a big bonus to me.
Thanks
Thank you for your response. I was just looking for some bit of advice I might have over-looked.
allycat,
when did you send your application in?
did you have an interview?
i sent my application in on Feb 7th and am still waiting... not that it's been that long or anything 🙂 just being neurotic maybe...
when did you send your application in?
did you have an interview?
i sent my application in on Feb 7th and am still waiting... not that it's been that long or anything 🙂 just being neurotic maybe...
I'm not allycat, but I applied Feb 4th, recieved an email invite for interview on the 17th, and will be attending the interview 3/1. You should hear back very soon.
I applied at the very end of november. I was invited to interview about 10 days later and interviewed on jan 25. I was accepted feb 16.
Good luck!
Has anyone heard of someone who sent in their application near the deadline (Feb 8) being invited for an interview or being rejected?
Do they even send out rejection emails?
Do they even send out rejection emails?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone here interviewing March the 15th?
Maybe I can find someone to split accommodations with on the 14th?
Maybe I can find someone to split accommodations with on the 14th?
Hello, future classmates! 🙂
Has anyone heard of someone who sent in their application near the deadline (Feb 8) being invited for an interview or being rejected?
Do they even send out rejection emails?
Hey there,
I sent in my application around the 8th, although one of my recommendations didn't get in until this week. I e-mailed and they said they are still happily accepting applications. As for admittance, I don't know. Hopefully they wouldn't be accepting applications if they knew there was no shot...
Good luck!
K
kaleidoscopic
Hey hey, I'm starting in the summer! Exciting 🙂
Yeah, I'm starting this summer too. Can't wait to get started.
K
kaleidoscopic
There's a '10-11 facebook group you guys should join if you haven't already.
K
kaleidoscopic
Hmm I think I had to request to join, but you should be able to find it: Bryn Mawr Postbac 2010/2011
I have my interview next week! any additional tips from those who have been accepted?
Yay, I'm going in the summer too. I went to undergrad at Bryn Mawr, so if any of you have questions about the college I can try to answer them.
For the interview -- the main question they will ask you is "Why medicine, Why now?" Make sure you have a solid answer. If there are any holes in your application, they will ask you about those. Be prepared with a well-thought out response. For my interview, they asked me questions that required me to re-cap a lot of what I said in my main personal statement. So just know that it's fine if you repeat yourself. A surprising question to me was why I chose my undergrad college (seemed random). At the end they asked me if there was anything else I wanted them to know. I would recommend using that as an opportunity to emphasize why you'd be a strong and unique contribution to their program.
When you first begin the interview day, you will introduce yourself to the other interviewees and say about one sentence about what you are currently doing or what your interests are. You might want to think ahead of time about what you will say.
Good luck!
For the interview -- the main question they will ask you is "Why medicine, Why now?" Make sure you have a solid answer. If there are any holes in your application, they will ask you about those. Be prepared with a well-thought out response. For my interview, they asked me questions that required me to re-cap a lot of what I said in my main personal statement. So just know that it's fine if you repeat yourself. A surprising question to me was why I chose my undergrad college (seemed random). At the end they asked me if there was anything else I wanted them to know. I would recommend using that as an opportunity to emphasize why you'd be a strong and unique contribution to their program.
When you first begin the interview day, you will introduce yourself to the other interviewees and say about one sentence about what you are currently doing or what your interests are. You might want to think ahead of time about what you will say.
Good luck!
Hey, I'm a summer start, too. Very excited to get to know each of y'all!
Does BM typically call you to let you know if you've been accepted/rejected?
Does BM typically call you to let you know if you've been accepted/rejected?
Yep. I was a BM PB in 2008-2009. Dr. Davis called me with the news.
Good luck,
Gator
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
K
kaleidoscopic
They call you if you've been accepted and send you a mail if you've been rejected.
Thanks everyone, did BM generally call you guys around the 2 week mark after interviews?
has anyone else never had to take a standardized test? I've been looking at BM and e-mailed them but haven't heard back about whether or not my application would even be considered. I have three degrees in music, BA, MM, and Doctor of Music Arts (GPA 3.69). Wondering what my chances would be to get in the post bacc at Bryn Mawr.
I would just give them a call as they are pretty receptive for questions. Applications are closed for 2010-2011, but it's never too early to prepare not only your application, but also your 'resume'. I didn't know I was going to apply until November of '09 and wasn't able to submit my application till a week before the deadline in February. But in that span of time I was able to get amazing volunteering experience and a letter of recommendation from the doctor I shadowed. A 3.69 seems like a very solid GPA, but they may also take into consideration all your other transcripts. I'd imagine if you haven't taken the SAT's yet this far into your academic career, they may not require it, should you have a solid application.
Thanks everyone, did BM generally call you guys around the 2 week mark after interviews?
If I remember correctly, I got the call around 1 week post-interview.
Good luck,
Gator
K
kaleidoscopic
This year I think people got a call around 2 weeks after their interviews. As for volunteering, anything healthcare-related would be good... hospital, Red Cross, hospice, EMT, etc.
hey darkjedi and others... what kind of volunteering experiences had you had before applying to post bacc programs? I'm employed full time as a musician but want to get going on the volunteer stuff now and would appreciate knowing your experiences.
I had volunteered in the ER of my local hospital (4hrs/wk for > 1yr), and shadowed a family physician (8hrs/2wks for > 1yr). I had also done quite a bit of math tutoring.
Good luck,
Gator
hey darkjedi and others... what kind of volunteering experiences had you had before applying to post bacc programs? I'm employed full time as a musician but want to get going on the volunteer stuff now and would appreciate knowing your experiences.
I volunteered at a city hospital almost full time for several months. I was lucky enough to find a team of doctors that let me shadow them so I was able to watch some amazing stuff.
I know a lot of people here say that volunteering at the hospital may not be worth it if you're just filling up water jugs or making beds, but if you can befriend some doctors or attendings, you may be able to ask them to allow you to shadow them and make your volunteer experience that much more interesting. I started out with clerical work the first week or so, but transferred my volunteer position to follow the doctors around for morning rounds and day to day activities.
I went to undergrad at Bryn Mawr, so if any of you have questions about the college I can try to answer them.
Another Bryn Mawr alumna? What color lantern?
Light blue.
As for volunteering, none of my volunteer work was medical related when I applied. However, I had significant work volunteering for and directing other sorts of programs for vulnerable populations. When I first looked into applying to the postbac program, they advised me to do some shadowing of doctors before the interview. After the interview and acceptance to Bryn Mawr, I've begun doing medical-related volunteering which will help with med school admission.
Basically, my understanding is that Bryn Mawr wants to see that you have passion and experience working with people who are different from you, be it in the healthcare realm or not. Hope that helps.
As for volunteering, none of my volunteer work was medical related when I applied. However, I had significant work volunteering for and directing other sorts of programs for vulnerable populations. When I first looked into applying to the postbac program, they advised me to do some shadowing of doctors before the interview. After the interview and acceptance to Bryn Mawr, I've begun doing medical-related volunteering which will help with med school admission.
Basically, my understanding is that Bryn Mawr wants to see that you have passion and experience working with people who are different from you, be it in the healthcare realm or not. Hope that helps.
Hey everyone,
Was just wondering if anyone was going for an interview this Monday (March 29)? If so, I will see you there! Applied late and got and heard back in a couple days for an interview. What all did people who already interview wear? Is it more of a suit and tie or would khakis and a sports coat with a tie be ok?
Was just wondering if anyone was going for an interview this Monday (March 29)? If so, I will see you there! Applied late and got and heard back in a couple days for an interview. What all did people who already interview wear? Is it more of a suit and tie or would khakis and a sports coat with a tie be ok?
I think khakis and a sports coat and tie would be fine. A suit would also be fine, albeit on the fancy side. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable. Some people like being more dressed up. Others don't. As long as you look clean and presentable you'll fit in.
Hey everyone,
Was just wondering if anyone was going for an interview this Monday (March 29)? If so, I will see you there! Applied late and got and heard back in a couple days for an interview. What all did people who already interview wear? Is it more of a suit and tie or would khakis and a sports coat with a tie be ok?
I wore a suit as did every other guy in my interview group. The girls were relatively dressed up as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from BM, but it's good to know they are still holding interviews!
Anyone know anything about being placed on hold/being deferred after the interview? I was told I would hear at the end of April whether I will be wait-listed, accepted, or rejected. Thanks
When did you interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The most I know about the hold/deferred status is what was described at the interview day - they set aside some applications to re-review after they have a sense of the remainder of the applicant pool. At the end of April, these applications are revisited. Hope it works out in your favor!
Two week mark for those who interviewed the week of March 15th. Anyone hear yet?
Good luck to all!
Two week mark for those who interviewed the week of March 15th. Anyone hear yet?
Good luck to all!
The most I know about the hold/deferred status is what was described at the interview day - they set aside some applications to re-review after they have a sense of the remainder of the applicant pool. At the end of April, these applications are revisited. Hope it works out in your favor!
Two week mark for those who interviewed the week of March 15th. Anyone hear yet?
Good luck to all!
I interviewed on Mar 15 and just got an email from Jodi saying that they will be making final decisions during the week of April 12.
When did you interview?
I interviewed end of January/early Feb
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 6K