Bryn Mawr or Goucher

Started by ewinston
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ewinston

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently admitted into Goucher and Bryn Mawr's Postbac programs. I am abroad now, though, and was wondering if anyone has visited the two schools and compare them for me-- general campus atmosphere, facilities, what the students are life, what programs seem stronger, etc.

Also, I will most likely have to student loan the full cost of the program. Not most likely... I will have to. So, I know that Goucher offers a small amount of Grant money, and I was wondering if there are any Alums who can tell me how much they tend to give to each student, etc.

Again, being aboad I have no idea which program to pick and would love any feed back and impressions you all have. That is not to say that I just want to hear that I am wasting my money and my time 🙂 That is, in the end, my decision to make.

Thanks.
 
You may want to do a search in the threads. There are a lot post on these 2 programs already.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You must have excellent qualifications!

I have applications into Bryn Mawr, Goucher and UVA. I have an interview at Bryn Mawr early next month, but haven't heard from Goucher. UVA doesn't start reviewing until February. Anyhoo - congrats! I hope you find the info that you seek. If I am lucky enough to interview at Goucher as well, I'll give you my opinion afterward, though you probably have to decide sooner rather than later.

C
 
Good luck to you too!! The interviews are very informal, so don't worry about that 🙂

Keep me informed about where you decide to go.
Best of luck!!
 
I know that you won't go wrong with either program. I loved Bryn Mawr when I visited there. Beautiful, really nice people, safe campus, nice support system overall for students.

Good luck!
 
I am actually applying to med schools now, but looked at post-baccs before I decided to just go for it and see what happens. If it doesn't work out I will be considering some post-baccs and maybe 1 year masters programs.
 
Bryn Mawr or Goucher... I was in your position last year and chose Goucher. I haven't been disappointed with my decision at all... quite the contrary!

The generally-accepted pluses and minuses of the two programs have been hashed out in a zillion forum threads here over the past few years -- search the forums or follow Eurozo's link for a representative discussion.

For me, the major plus of Goucher was class size. I know all my classmates and we all hang out and study together. It's a really good mix of people. In addition, I can drop by the program directors' offices at pretty much any time -- there are two of them for 28 of us this year and they're always available to us.

Other things I've found positive about the Goucher program: the advising is absolutely top-notch. Liza, the program director, probably knows more about getting into med school than any single other person in the country, and she's very results-oriented and proactive in her approach.

The teaching is, generally speaking, also top-notch. By comparison to the professors I had in undergraduate science courses at a large research university, even the worst of my instructors here is twice as good in lecture and ten times more accessible.

One final note: Towson, MD -- which was the major reason I was hesitant about Goucher -- is not so bad at all. Pretty much the worst thing you can say about it is that it's blandly suburban, which is probably a plus if you're trying to maintain a positively monkish focus on academics.

Hope this helps you in your decision process...