Bryn Mawr - What kind of stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goyankees

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out from their website - what exactly they are looking for?? What kind of UG grades/test scores do they typically take? What about grad school exams, such as the LSAT- do they take these also? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked their Program Director a few years ago and if I remember correctly, the entering class had a 3.55 undergrad cumulative gpa average and SAT or GRE of mid-1300's. I think they require at least one of the two (SAT or GRE), though if you got a high precentile on the LSAT, I'm sure they'd give you points for that, since it shows you have standardized test-taking skills.

Edit: Sorry guys, I just checked their website and they require the SAT or ACT. They consider GRE and LSAT supplemental.

NapeSpikes said:
I asked their Program Director a few years ago and if I remember correctly, the entering class had a 3.55 undergrad cumulative gpa average and SAT or GRE of mid-1300's. I think they require at least one of the two (SAT or GRE), though if you got a high precentile on the LSAT, I'm sure they'd give you points for that, since it shows you have standardized test-taking skills.

How much do they really regard SAT scores though? If all your other stats are good (including extracurricular and GPA), but your SAT is less than 1300, would they reject you??

Members don't see this ad :)
seventiesgal200 said:
How much do they really regard SAT scores though? If all your other stats are good (including extracurricular and GPA), but your SAT is less than 1300, would they reject you??

I had a high GPA (>3.8), great LOR's, EMT experience, counseling experience, leadership roles in several clubs, and a solid Personal Statement; however, with a sub-1200 SAT, Bryn Mawr gave me the shaft. They didn't even interview me!! :mad:

I'm not quite sure what they're looking for, but apparently I didn't have it. After talking with current med students and a Bryn Mawr alum, it seems that my SAT score is what killed me.

Where did you go to undergrad profstudent? Do you think that could have improved your chances with Bryn Mawr?

Stixman28 said:
Where did you go to undergrad profstudent? Do you think that could have improved your chances with Bryn Mawr?

I'll throw in my two cents as well.....I applied to BM at the very very beginning of their admissions cycle for this summer (06) and i got rejected with out an interview as well. I will be going to Penn instead. My stats were relatively low...3.0 overall grad UPenn 04...took gen bio and gen chem got A's in both....had a good reason for a terrible year that killed my GPA and made it hard to recover....had done research at CHOP was a hospital orderly...worked for a non profit urban health clinic for a whole year full time as a volunteer after i graduated....got a great letter from the attending pediatrician (i read it) and i really thought I wrote a thoughtful and articulate personal statement (i had spent several months working on).....REJECTED....i mean i know my GPA was way way way lower than the average student there but i think it's all about convincing them you are the type of person who just excels at everything.....they don't care much about past experience in healthcare because it's geared towards students who are changing careers....as long as you have a compelling and interesting reason for wanting medicine you should be fine...proving it with jobs and research is useless to them they rather you have just graduated from law school or did peace corps or studied the aids epidemic in africa or taught english to children in china.....oh yeah, and a 3.9 GPA from a top school....a large percentage of their admitted students went to ivy league caliber schools that info is on their site.....you seem to have to be unique but undoubtedly intelligent....high GPA is crucial and applying early is crucial....they know they will get enough stellar applicants to fill their spots so they can afford to reject many exceptional ones as well...frustrating...disclaimer is i do know a few people in that program (from my undergrad days) who had lower GPAS....they were both in the Wharton School and had done venture capital research and published papers on healthcare spending and budgets and other unecessarily impressive things like that.....so there are exceptions i guess.

Stixman28 said:

I am currently in my senior year in the honors program at a major research university. Not an ivy, but a very respected school. I really don't think that where I went to school made a huge impact on my lack of acceptance (i.e. I was involved with research from my freshman year, working on an honors thesis, etc.)...if you look at their website (http://www.brynmawr.edu/postbac/facts.shtml), the majority of their students "attended large universities".

Does the fact that I was applying directly for undergrad play a role? Maybe. However, I contacted the admissions office this summer and was told that I would be at no particular disadvantage. This is all leads me to once again assume it was the SAT score.

profstudent said:
I am currently in my senior year in the honors program at a major research university. Not an ivy, but a very respected school. I really don't think that where I went to school made a huge impact on my lack of acceptance (i.e. I was involved with research from my freshman year, working on an honors thesis, etc.)...if you look at their website (http://www.brynmawr.edu/postbac/facts.shtml), the majority of their students "attended large universities".

Does the fact that I was applying directly for undergrad play a role? Maybe. However, I contacted the admissions office this summer and was told that I would be at no particular disadvantage. This is all leads me to once again assume it was the SAT score.

your credentials sound great. I say screw em and try another program.....why a post bacc anyway? BM has pretty stringent reqs on course background maybe you took some sciences already?

Chrissy said:
your credentials sound great. I say screw em and try another program.....why a post bacc anyway? BM has pretty stringent reqs on course background maybe you took some sciences already?

Chrissy, sounds like they denied two solid candidates...oh well, their loss.

I haven't decided 100% yet, but I will most likely stay a fifth year at my undergrad in a "do-it-yourself" program. I had originally wanted to pursue a postbac to take advantage of a linkage so that I could accelerate the process, get great advising, and mentally (and physically) separate my undergrad career from my postbac career.

You mentioned that you will be attending PENN, I was wondering if you could tell us more about the program - seeing as it might be a nice alternative to BM. I was thinking about applying, but would like some more information. How formal is it? What kind of success rates do they have? Are you hoping for a linkage?

Should I just take the LSAT after undergrad and then apply to Bryn Mawr...??? lol I mean would that increase my chances??? My SAT score was not in the 1300's; my GPA is good; I work at a law firm in Manhattan; I also volunteer at a hospital; I took one bio class as an undergrad (don't know what I got yet - it doesn't look good); and I am a good writer so my personal statement (I don't know if they really read them) would be good...I guess

I don't know. I am confused.

Does Penn offer linkage programs ... and if they do how many people do you think actually get in? Oh, and I'm not sure if this is off the Bryn Mawr post, but is John Hopkins similar in stats???

BTW, You guys have been great help! Thanks and Congratulations on Penn Chrissy!

Im confused seventiesgal, why are you taking your LSAT's to go to Bryn Mawr? Is it just cause you know youll do well on em? and you want to prove you ability at taking tests? You sound law oriented, that might confuse folk...

seventiesgal200 said:
Should I just take the LSAT after undergrad and then apply to Bryn Mawr...??? lol I mean would that increase my chances??? My SAT score was not in the 1300's; my GPA is good...Oh, and I'm not sure if this is off the Bryn Mawr post, but is John Hopkins similar in stats???

If you want to increase your chances at Bryn Mawr, study for and take the GREs. It's pretty much like the SAT but with harder Verbal. To clarify my previous post, a good LSAT score could be a supplement to an application, I suppose, but it would not serve as a substitute. The GRE is better suited for that, I think. I scored 90 points higher on the GRE than my SATs, so there's hope for us sub-1300 SATers.

I don't know too much about Hopkins postbac accepted stats, but I imagine they are similar. Be prepared to take classes with Hopkins undergrad premeds, though...

Oh, and they do really read the personal statement, so don't underestimate that.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
what i want to know is this....is there anyone on this forum that has applied to and been accepted to Bryn Mawr....or do those students not read this site????

NapeSpikes said:
If you want to increase your chances at Bryn Mawr, study for and take the GREs. It's pretty much like the SAT but with harder Verbal. To clarify my previous post, a good LSAT score could be a supplement to an application, I suppose, but it would not serve as a substitute. The GRE is better suited for that. I scored 90 points higher on the GRE than my SATs, so there's hope for us sub-1300 SATers.

I don't know too much about Hopkins postbac accepted stats, but I imagine they are similar. Be prepared to take classes with Hopkins undergrad premeds, though...

Oh, and they do really read the personal statement, so don't underestimate that.

Good luck!

I saw the application and it didn't say anything about the GRE's ... do they really regard it as similar to the SAT's??? Also, are they extremely hard where you need a few months to study (the GRE's) or are they pretty rational?

also, i took a bio class recently at my college (the hardest class in the college!!!) and i just saw that I got a C =( and I am REALLLY bummed out--- do you think that Bryn Mawr would even look at my application???

Thank you so much for replying

PS Oh, and I am not sure if people have gotten in to Bryn Mawr and used this site lol hopefully there are some and I'll feel much better =)

seventiesgal200 said:
I saw the application and it didn't say anything about the GRE's ... do they really regard it as similar to the SAT's??? Also, are they extremely hard where you need a few months to study (the GRE's) or are they pretty rational?

also, i took a bio class recently at my college (the hardest class in the college!!!) and i just saw that I got a C =( and I am REALLLY bummed out--- do you think that Bryn Mawr would even look at my application???

I'd just like to add one caveat, that I'm going off of my memory for most of this Bryn Mawr info. I had considered applying a couple of years ago, and have met at least a dozen Bryn Mawr postbacs in the past two years. I know for a FACT that they're around this site, but maybe they're a bit shy in chiming in. :D

I just went to the bryn mawr postbac website FAQs, and they specifically say they would look at GRE and LSAT in addition to SATs, so maybe you should take the LSAT? It is my opinion that the GRE is a better substitute for the SAT--the scoring, subjects, and what they (supposedly) measure are the same. And for instance, Goucher, the comparable program I attended, takes GRE, ACT, or SAT.

The GRE isn't TOO bad, though verbal is kind of hard. NOTHING compared to the mcat. I think I studied a total of 80 hours or so spread over a month. I'm reasonably bright, and a solid but not a phenomenal test taker (mid-1200's for my SATs back in the day with no studying, just to give you an idea).

Ouch, a C in Bio is not a good thing. It doesn't necessarily rule you out, but you'll have some explaining to do. You'll never know unless you try, though. Good luck!

wannabee1 said:
what i want to know is this....is there anyone on this forum that has applied to and been accepted to Bryn Mawr....or do those students not read this site????

i went to the BM postbac program. i left a job in NYC to move down to bryn mawr and do the postbac thing. i don't understand the process of acceptance. there were certainly some complete idiots in the program who didn't have a good reason why they wanted to go into medicine other than the fact that one or both of their parents were doctors. on the other hand, there were kids who spend 3 years building AIDS clinics in africa, who came back to the US to do the bryn mawr postbac year and apply to medical school. it's definitely a mixed bag.

eb007 said:
i went to the BM postbac program. i left a job in NYC to move down to bryn mawr and do the postbac thing. i don't understand the process of acceptance. there were certainly some complete idiots in the program who didn't have a good reason why they wanted to go into medicine other than the fact that one or both of their parents were doctors. on the other hand, there were kids who spend 3 years building AIDS clinics in africa, who came back to the US to do the bryn mawr postbac year and apply to medical school. it's definitely a mixed bag.

What stats were required? Haven't taken GRE's but had a 3.6 at solid liberal arts college.

i had submitted my application right before christmas and found out today that i was invited for an interview jan. 30!!! i am so excited, but was wondering if anyone has any advice about the interview process at Bryn Mawr, how many candidates they bring in for interviews, types of questions, length of interview, etc. any help/advice would be great!!!

i have been accepted to the bryn mawr program. i am sorry to hear that a couple of you with such great stats were not accepted. my gpa seems about avg for the program-not incredibly high, but not low. i did not attend an ivy, but lots of clinical experience,research,extracurics, and good recs. my sat's apparently are below the standard according to this thread, but i got an interview and i guess they liked me.

cheers

HOHOHO said:
i have been accepted to the bryn mawr program. i am sorry to hear that a couple of you with such great stats were not accepted. my gpa seems about avg for the program-not incredibly high, but not low. i did not attend an ivy, but lots of clinical experience,research,extracurics, and good recs. my sat's apparently are below the standard according to this thread, but i got an interview and i guess they liked me.

cheers

i am interviewing soon....any advice????

profstudent said:
I had a high GPA (>3.8), great LOR's, EMT experience, counseling experience, leadership roles in several clubs, and a solid Personal Statement; however, with a sub-1200 SAT, Bryn Mawr gave me the shaft. They didn't even interview me!! :mad:

I'm not quite sure what they're looking for, but apparently I didn't have it. After talking with current med students and a Bryn Mawr alum, it seems that my SAT score is what killed me.

:( :(

wannabee1 said:
i am interviewing soon....any advice????

just be cool. it's important to really love medicine and have done some things in your life that demonstrate this. and no matter who interviews you and what they seem like that day, i assure you they are nice people who are not judging you.

seventiesgal200 said:

So back when I was applying for postbac's, I couldn't apply to Bryn Mawr's because I'd already taken a few of the required science classes. However, in my Penn interview and in correspondence with Columbia (accepted both places for the postbac), I was told that GRE performance can be compared to SAT performance. Again, the GRE is a LOT harder than the verbal section on the SAT (and I wouldn't really call it rational? You should do some practice tests, review your h.s. math up through very basic precal, and get one of those 333 vocab word lists - listed in any GRE study guide - to review since the GRE verbal section is vocab intense). There's also a writing section on the GRE that have very similar promps to those found on the MCAT - general state your opinion kind of arguments.

Either way, they really seem to use these measures for a proxy for how you might do on the MCAT, especially with the verbal section. With a GRE verbal score in the 75th percentile (what that correlates to in terms of score depends on the exam you sit for - as a guide, for PhD programs in the social sciences and humanities, it's a crappy score for the top programs), I still got in at Columbia, Penn, Brandeis, and received an interview invite (which I declined) at Johns Hopkins. But those are the only places I applied to. So, don't despair. In reality, other than a couple of hours and an application fee, you're not losing much by just applying to the program you want and you could be gaining a lot more.

HOHOHO said:

cheers

hohoho - how long did it take after your interview to find out that you were accepted???
also, are you starting in the summer or fall? thanks!

wannabee1 said:

I'm at Bryn Mawr now. My undergrad career and SATs are uninspiring, 3.29 & 1280, but not too far below the mark. I'm a little bit older - I also read the non-trad forum a lot.

My LORs were balls-out-awesome, I had a compelling and realistic personal statement, and I've always been good at interviews.

My professional background is mostly in IT support, though I've done some coding, for public health research groups. My clinical experience was zero when I applied - though i had been volunteering at a battered women's shelter.

If you're going to apply to this program, take some time and think about every section of the application. I think they went for me because I had an application that made me appear to be (and honestly I probably am) a well rounded person. I thought of the BMC app as sort of a mini-AMCAAS [sic] app. If you can make a compelling app to BMC, they'll think you can make a compelling app to adcoms, and will take you on.

The program is hard - especially now that we're buckling down for the spring MCAT - but for an older student, like me, I felt like I couldn't beat the linkage.

Best of luck to everyone.

wannabee1 said:

I went to the BM Postbac program. I don't know what stats you need, but I had a 1350 SAT from and 3.4 undergrad gpa. I took the SAT 15 years ago, and I've heard it's changed but don't know anything about that. I think a blemish is ok, but you should be able to address it. I know some people won't be accepted if they've taken too many science classes. So if you already have gen chem and intro bio, I think this can hurt your chances.

Hi,

I actually also have an interview at Bryn Mawr, on the same day. ;) (if you want to email me at [email protected] maybe we can chat and meet there). I would also truly appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I had mid 1200 SAT scores, had a high undergraduate GPA (roughly 3.6) at a top public university, and have volunteered with a world reknowned pediatric immunologist for the past 4 years who has been my mentor, and this year, took the year off and am a research assistant at UMDNJ working on a study on autism, and also a research assistant to a local neuropsychologist on sabbatical from University of California - San Francisco Medical School researching ALS. I'm so nervous about the interview, and would truly appreciate any advice people could give me. I'm not sure how many people they accept that they interview (not sure I want to know before my interview ;) Feel free to email me off the board, my email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Beth

wannabee1 said:
i had submitted my application right before christmas and found out today that i was invited for an interview jan. 30!!! i am so excited, but was wondering if anyone has any advice about the interview process at Bryn Mawr, how many candidates they bring in for interviews, types of questions, length of interview, etc. any help/advice would be great!!!

Beth_W737 said:
Hi,

I actually also have an interview at Bryn Mawr, on the same day...I'm so nervous about the interview, and would truly appreciate any advice people could give me.

Honestly, just be yourself and try to relax. It sounds like you've done some interesting things that relate well to medicine. Take some time to think about why you've done them and how they've been important to you, and be prepared to communicate that in the interview.

Back to the original part of the thread. I got an interview with Bryn Mawr with awful SAT scores. I had research experience between my freshman and sophomore, and sophomore and junior years. I also worked at a shock trauma center after my junior year.

But most importantly, I go to a really wierd undergrad school, a Great Books program that supplied with me a very well-rounded liberal arts education. But, I did very well there also, >3.8. Im willing to bet that they over looked the test scores for my GPA, undergrad and experience.

Last edited:
So did you get in to Bryn Mawr, and if so, did you go?

I had my interview with Bryn Mawr Mon, and think it went okay though it was hard to read how it went, and the current students we met said when they interviewed, they couldn't get a sense of how their interviews went either. But unfortunately, we won't hear for 3 weeks or so, they told us...it's hard waiting. Does anyone have any tips for what to do after the interview, other than send a thank you note?

Beth

Stixman28 said:
Back to the original part of the thread. I got an interview with Bryn Mawr with awful SAT scores, 1050. I had research experience between my freshman and sophomore, and sophomore and junior years. I also worked at a shock trauma center after my junior year.

But most importantly, I go to a really wierd undergrad school, a Great Books program that supplied with me a very well-rounded liberal arts education. But, I did very well there also, >3.8. Im willing to bet that they over looked the test scores for my GPA, undergrad and experience.