BS classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter what elective classes I take? USF has 9 hours of Lit and Major Works required to graduate. Do I have to take something that looks good or is it ok to take something that won't take too much time away from other classes. I mean, how will "Issues in Sports" or "Literature and the Occult" look to a review board? But on the other hand, a gordon rule class dealing with the history of chemistry, with prereqs of a year of chemistry seems rather intimidating while taking 3 science classes and a lit class, while working, family, etc...........

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jemc2000 said:
Does it really matter what elective classes I take? USF has 9 hours of Lit and Major Works required to graduate. Do I have to take something that looks good or is it ok to take something that won't take too much time away from other classes. I mean, how will "Issues in Sports" or "Literature and the Occult" look to a review board? But on the other hand, a gordon rule class dealing with the history of chemistry, with prereqs of a year of chemistry seems rather intimidating while taking 3 science classes and a lit class, while working, family, etc...........

Thanks.

I took Issues in Sport and it didn't hurt me. ;) I would have taken Lit of the Occult if I had had the time for it. :)

what is lit of the occult?

Members don't see this ad :)
aubieRx said:
what is lit of the occult?

LIT 3451 Literature and the Occult 6A MW LW (3) AS ENG

An introduction to the occult tradition as a major ingredient in English, Continental, American, and Multicultural literature; analysis of the origins, classifications, and areas of the various magic arts from classical times through the present. Focuses on values/ethics, race/ethnicity and gender; thinking and writing skills.

From www.usf.edu

Since they're Gordon Rule classes, you'll have to do a lot of writing. Make sure that it is a subject that interests you. One of my classes was Death and the Meaning of Life. It dealt with how death affects people, the grieving process and how to help people through it. That was interesting and it actually had material that I could relate to.

I took both of those classes and got in. They were pretty easy, Lit and Occult was a really cool class with lots of cool reading. I liked the stories. And it really wasn't too much writing for that class (1 5pg paper). Issues in Sports got most of the writing requirement for gordon rule by us typing messages on a message board. It was easy and work at your own pace. I finished the class 3 weeks before the end of the semester. Good luck!

Thanks, I was stressing it.

I'm taking Pharmacology, Survey of Human Diseases, Trophical Immunology, Early Childhood Literature and then I think I'll take the issues in sports since it is through the lakeland campus.

Then next semester I can take Micro, Biochem, genetics w/lab and 1 more major works course, and somehow pick up a 1 credit biology. Maybe I'll take biochem lab. That will finish up my BS.

Thanks for the help!

jemc2000 said:
Thanks, I was stressing it.

I'm taking Pharmacology, Survey of Human Diseases, Trophical Immunology, Early Childhood Literature and then I think I'll take the issues in sports since it is through the lakeland campus.

Then next semester I can take Micro, Biochem, genetics w/lab and 1 more major works course, and somehow pick up a 1 credit biology. Maybe I'll take biochem lab. That will finish up my BS.

Thanks for the help!

Micro, biochem, AND genetics?! :eek: Could one not be saved for the summer?

FutureRxGal said:
Micro, biochem, AND genetics?! :eek: Could one not be saved for the summer?

I guess. But I am afraid they won't offer one over the summer. Plus, I was sort of hoping to finish in May and take the summer off.

Really hard, huh?

jemc2000 said:
I guess. But I am afraid they won't offer one over the summer. Plus, I was sort of hoping to finish in May and take the summer off.

Really hard, huh?

Would Cell Biology with lab be easier than genetics with lab?

jemc2000 said:
Would Cell Biology with lab be easier than genetics with lab?

I didn't take cell bio lab or genetics, so I can't answer that. However, I would advise against taking all three of those sciences at the same time. Micro, biochem, genetics, and cell bio are all available in the summer. I seriously would take one of them in the summer.

I think alot of the easiness factor depends on the professor

maybe you should ask around or go to a professor ratings sites to see which class would be more fun for you

Michelle, I took Micro, Biochem and Genetics. I had Dr. El-rady for Micro and genetics. He's very very good but not the easiest. I got A's though, but I did work really hard. I took Micro in the summer and it's required to take Micro and the lab (it's a 4 credit hour class). I really enjoyed the class and it will help you in pharmacy school! Biochem (if Dr. Grossman is still teaching) is very hard. He makes it extremely difficult to do well and he was one of my worst professors ever! His lectures were very incoherent at times. I got a C and only like 5 people (out of 100+) got A's and there were only a handful of B's. I took it in the summer though and would never have done that again! Genetics and Micro are both doable in the summer. I took Cell Bio with Dr. Pollenz, I'm not sure if he's still there but he's good but also not the easiest. I took genetics lab and it was not bad at all (dare I say easy). I'd take Genetics and lab in the summer or Micro and lab in the summer. I wouldn't recommend biochem in the summer though and the lab I hear is impossible to get an A in. I wouldn't take that lab at all. However, I would highly advise that you try and learn as much as you can. If you got to UF, you'll take Biochem your first year with a professor that borders how horrible Dr. Grossman was. I highly recommend Dr. El-rady, he was one of my favorite professors, funny and really knew his stuff! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't add anything about the science classes at USF because I went there as a business major so I naturally took the easiest 2 courses I could find that would fulfill the requirement. Pam's right though about Micro and Biochem helping you out some in your first year at UF. Don't fluff off anything relating to DNA/RNA synthesis, the various cycles such as Krebb's (citric acid) and electron transport chain, and protein synthesis. If you have these down pat you can pretty much cruise through about 8 hours worth of classes in the first two semesters.

Thank you all for your advice. I have taken it to heart.

One more question. Would Cell Biology (even though I am not that fond of Bio) be a better choice than Survey of Human Diseases?

Weinzierl is teaching Biochem this semester.

jemc2000 said:

One more question. Would Cell Biology (even though I am not that fond of Bio) be a better choice than Survey of Human Diseases?

OOOH! CELL BIO!!! <3 <3! ;) I THINK BOTH ARE GOOD, but CELL BIO IS (IMO) BETTER JUST B/C THE 'SURVEY' IN OTHER MAKES IT SOUND WEAK. PLUS, WOULDN'T YOU BE COVERING MANY DISEASES IN MICROBIOLOGY??

endlesslove said:
OOOH! CELL BIO!!! <3 <3! ;) I THINK BOTH ARE GOOD, but CELL BIO IS (IMO) BETTER JUST B/C THE 'SURVEY' IN OTHER MAKES IT SOUND WEAK. PLUS, WOULDN'T YOU BE COVERING MANY DISEASES IN MICROBIOLOGY??

Microbiology ruled. Is cell biology similar to microbiology?

RLK said:

Nope. Not really.

I am terrified of microbiology. Microscopes are not my friend. They just don't work for me. :scared:

jemc2000 said:
Nope. Not really.

I am terrified of microbiology. Microscopes are not my friend. They just don't work for me. :scared:

cell bio is way different from microbiology. at my school, microbiology and microbiology lab are separate courses; therefore, you could take microbio w/o having to deal with microscopes. However, I found the lab portion to be quite enjoyable--once we got to see how many microbes were on our doorknobs! :)

endlesslove said:
cell bio is way different from microbiology. at my school, microbiology and microbiology lab are separate courses; therefore, you could take microbio w/o having to deal with microscopes. However, I found the lab portion to be quite enjoyable--once we got to see how many microbes were on our doorknobs! :)

Did you do anything more interesting than doorknobs? We had to insert q-tips into each end of the digestive tract :eek: and make smears of those.

jemc2000 said:

I think that I would take Survey of Human Diseases. You've already had enough biology with everything you've taken and are going to take. I think learning disease states would be more beneficial to you in pharmacy school.

I took cell bio and really enjoyed it. we learned a lot about receptors and dna/rna syntheiss.... it was REALLY helpful during my first year of pharm school but i have some professors who are way into receptors and that sort of thing.... that was primarily what my entire phys class was made up of.

i have no idea which would be more beneficial.... i would probably pick the easier one.

RLK said:

At USF, one of the main differences in microbiology and cell biology was that micro primarily covered prokaryotes and cell biology mainly covered eukaryotic cells and their functions and processes.

jemc2000 said:
Nope. Not really.

Micro at USF isn't that bad. The lab only counts for a small percentage of your grade. You won't have to do throat cultures like the lab book says (that's saved until Bacteriology, which I do NOT recommend you take, since it is one of the hardest, though most interesting, sciences offered at USF; Dr. Lim will tell you this himself.) You will have to overcome your fear of microscopes, though. You will have to be able to tell the difference between bacteria based on their shape, clustering properties, etc., things that cannot be seen macroscopically. There is a major project for lab at the end of the semester, where you will be give 3 unknowns and you have 3 weeks to run the necessary tests in order to figure out what they are. You'll then write a 9-page report on it, and it is a major part of your lab grade.

If you have time this summer, I would contact the biology department and see if there is a student or a TA that could work with you on your microscope skills. :)

As far as Survey of Human Diseases goes, that is a good class to take. And it certainly isn't "weak." ;) It's not difficult to make an A in it if you study well, though.

Oh, and one more thing on Cell Biology. Two actually. 1) Do not take the lab if you can avoid it. I didn't take it, but I never heard one positive thing about it. 2) Dr. Upadhyaya teaches the class now. He was my professor. Nice guy, but extremely boring. Go to www.ratemyprofessor.com and look him up.