BS in Biology to Dental Hygiene Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepingUpWithK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have anyone taken the BS in Biology to Dental Hygiene Program route? I'm not competitive enough for Dental School, so I wanted to focus on increasing my chances of acceptance before applying. I'm earning my degree in December and have been given this advice along with another (Master's). I know it's going to be a long journey but I don't want to give up. Plus, I heard good could come from this route as far as: still deciding if I would want to do a Doctorate in Dentistry after finishing the program being able to work, and going straight into the program because I've taken the prerequisites.

For those who want to know my story:
I started off as a nursing major in college. I changed my major to Biology (wish I would've done Business or something) because I wanted to go to Dental School. Courses were overwhelming, and I had multiple labs a day. I relied on poor advisors (which is my fault). Now I'm graduating with a GPA that is not competitive enough (Probably will end up being a 2.9). On the bright side, I've been blessed enough to first shadow then earn an internship at a dental office which allowed me to shadow two dentists and perform dental assistant duties (so I've earned plenty of hours). Because of me showing so much passion for dentistry, I was granted these opportunities. I know most of the instruments being used, how they should be sterilized, and I also know which should be used for a certain operation. I also know some of the business side. I just couldn't get right with Biology as I wanted. I've earned so many community service hours, was on E-board of two orgs, and also done two grants. Probably got in the way of my studies. I still have faith though so yeah! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely to get more for your buck from a formal post back/MS/MA than from your proposed route.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have suggested you do DH if your GPA was a little bit higher, but considering your stats, even if you score straight As in DH, your oGPA will not increase that much. It would be better to do a Master degree to get a new set of GPA while working as a dental assistant to learn more about the field. Dental hygiene is a very challenging program just like any dental program. I am saying this because I got a B.S. Biochem, B.S. Microbio, and B.S. Dental Hygiene. However, a pro of applying to DH is that if you do not get accepted to dental school, you will still be working in a dental field as a hygienist- it is an amazing profession.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)