B's in prerequisites courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_lo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how my current grades will be viewed by admission boards. I have taken all of the prereq classes for medical school. I got A's in all of them except Gen Chem 2: B+ Orgo 1: B and Physics 2: B-. I have also taken other science courses like microbio, genetics, and anatomy and have gotten A's in those courses. Is this too many B's for medical school? I have not gotten my grade back for biochem but I am expecting a B+ or A-.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a B- in gen chem 1 and 2, I had a B in orgo 1, C+ in orgo 2. I had a B in physics 1 and B- in physics too. I KILLED it in my bio and medicine related classes. Over 10 ish interviews I was never told anything but: I see you have done very well in school. Just work hard do the best you can and be great at something.

I am wondering how my current grades will be viewed by admission boards. I have taken all of the prereq classes for medical school. I got A's in all of them except Gen Chem 2: B+ Orgo 1: B and Physics 2: B-. I have also taken other science courses like microbio, genetics, and anatomy and have gotten A's in those courses. Is this too many B's for medical school? I have not gotten my grade back for biochem but I am expecting a B+ or A-.
No such thing as "too many Bs" per se. All they care about with respect to grades is your GPA, not what grade you received in what class, or how many Bs you have. Of course, a lot of Bs will catch up with you in terms of your GPA calculation at some point, depending on what tier of school you are targeting. 3.7+ won't be the reason you aren't accepted at any particular school. Below that, you start to lose options.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a common pre med delusion that one has to ace these things. So chill

Reactions: 2 users
On SDN, high stat applicants and trollers like to humble brag: “I only got a 521 on the MCAT and I was only the second author on my fifth publication, as opposed to being the first author, like I was on the others. Have I lost all hope at . . .” The vast majority of applicants have one or more areas where they feel ”less than” and many of them succeed. Keep your chin up and keep pushing forward.

Reactions: 4 users
No school is tripping over a B unless that's literally all you make. I made a C in gen chem 1 and 2, and a couple of B's in other prereqs...currently having a great cycle. Keep doing the best you can in your classes and aim for A's, but don't let the neuroticism get to you lol.
You have to be good at something. I was very good at bio which carried me and allowed me to be less good in math related stuff (Chem phys)

OP, your overall GPA matters more than each individual grade. Try to look at things more holistically

Reactions: 1 user