BS/MD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlgone

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just applying to undergrad schools now and see a number of schools offer jont programs with "conditional" acceptances to undergrads.

How does this work? Is their any real advantage? It seems too good to be ture to be accepted before taking MCATs.

If the "condition" is satisfactory GPA and MCAT scores, is there some advantage to being in such a program (it seems all things being equal, you would get the acceptance over some one who was not in the program).

I'd appreciate any help/advice people can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

jlgone said:
I'm just applying to undergrad schools now and see a number of schools offer jont programs with "conditional" acceptances to undergrads.

How does this work? Is their any real advantage? It seems too good to be ture to be accepted before taking MCATs.

If the "condition" is satisfactory GPA and MCAT scores, is there some advantage to being in such a program (it seems all things being equal, you would get the acceptance over some one who was not in the program).

I'd appreciate any help/advice people can offer.

it depends on the nature of the program...some require a "avg" MCAT score and some just require you take the MCAT and record a score....what school is this?

drguy22 said:
it depends on the nature of the program...some require a "avg" MCAT score and some just require you take the MCAT and record a score....what school is this?

Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few schools have programs like this affiliated with a reputable undergrad/med school... i'd be wary of programs like this (poss. exception of rice/baylor)...

University of Wisconsin has one too, and Northwestern has a 6-year program.

Overall, I don't think that combined programs are a good idea. Wisconsin for one makes it too easy during your undergrad. No MCAT, and you only need a moderate GPA, say a 3.5 or so, to stay in the program. I dunno about you guys, but a 3.5 would be a lot easier to get/keep than the GPA I have now, and I don't think my study skills would be as good as they are now, which would bite me in the ass when I started med school not knowing how to study.

TheProwler said:
University of Wisconsin has one too, and Northwestern has a 6-year program.

Overall, I don't think that combined programs are a good idea. Wisconsin for one makes it too easy during your undergrad. No MCAT, and you only need a moderate GPA, say a 3.5 or so, to stay in the program. I dunno about you guys, but a 3.5 would be a lot easier to get/keep than the GPA I have now, and I don't think my study skills would be as good as they are now, which would bite me in the ass when I started med school not knowing how to study.

So are you saying you'd rather bust your ass studying, get a 3.8 and then not get in because you got a 28 on the MCAT???? Getting a 3.5 in a tough program (say biochemistry) is harder than a liberal arts program with just Med School science prereqisites.

How can the med schools accept people without a MCAT score (or do they require you to take it and get a minimum score)?

jlgone said:
So are you saying you'd rather bust your ass studying, get a 3.8 and then not get in because you got a 28 on the MCAT???? Getting a 3.5 in a tough program (say biochemistry) is harder than a liberal arts program with just Med School science prereqisites.

How can the med schools accept people without a MCAT score (or do they require you to take it and get a minimum score)?
I have a very good MCAT score, thank you, and I still think that BS/MD programs are misguided.

TheProwler said:
I have a very good MCAT score, thank you, and I still think that BS/MD programs are misguided.

My comment wasn't directed at you. Hypothetically, until you take the MCAT you don't know how well you'll do. Perhaps if you hadn't done well you'd see things differently.

My point is, it seems like the BS/MD programs eliminate some (or all) of the unkown MCAT score risk; how well you do in school may be easier to control for some students (i.e., those that are less gifted but harder working).

Does anyone have experience with these programs, and if they are misguided, why do the schools continue to have them (Is there some other motivating factor such as gov't funding, diversity, etc??)?

the programs are misguided. in fact, a number of programs have shut down in recent years. schools continue to have them because they help generally average-below average med schools recruit top students.

doc05 said:
the programs are misguided. in fact, a number of programs have shut down in recent years. schools continue to have them because they help generally average-below average med schools recruit top students.

My thought was try to get in this way, and I could always apply to other schools if grades and mCATs were good enough.

Does participating in one of these programs preclude you from applying to other med schools?

jlgone said:
My thought was try to get in this way, and I could always apply to other schools if grades and mCATs were good enough.

Does participating in one of these programs preclude you from applying to other med schools?
i think this might depend on the program. some schools, suny buffalo comes to mind, offers an early assurance program, where you apply in sophmore year, and you're assured a spot in the class, but you can still apply to other schools. at least, that was the gist i got from somebody who got accepted that way.

but if you go straight BS/MD i don't think you can apply to other schools. you have to go to that med school assuming you maintain the proper criteria. brooklyn college in ny has a 7 year program with downstate, and if accepted into the program, you have to go to downstate.

although personally, i'm not so keen on these combined programs. they leave essentially no time for a life. i mean, i'm taking a bunch of classes that most premeds don't get to take (bunch of music classes, comedy, mass media, and i got to study abroad). If you're trtyign to cram everything into the 3 years that would constitute your UG experience, you don't get time to take any fun classes. And what if you change your mind? are you stuck in this program now? and what if you get tired of the city? i would rather apply to many schools in different cities and go from there. i've lived in NY my whole life, and i'm almost positive i don't want to go to med school here too. but had i gone into the combined program, i'd be stuck in ny for UG and med shcool.

but if you do try for the BS/MD make sure med is what you really want to do. and i mean really sure. because you're giving up a lot IMHO.

Mateodaspy said:
Very few schools have programs like this affiliated with a reputable undergrad/med school... i'd be wary of programs like this (poss. exception of rice/baylor)...
Vanderbilt has an early program that they don't publicize that you can apply to after the 2nd year of undergrad. getting into that is like a dream... damn.

jlgone said:
My comment wasn't directed at you. Hypothetically, until you take the MCAT you don't know how well you'll do. Perhaps if you hadn't done well you'd see things differently.

My point is, it seems like the BS/MD programs eliminate some (or all) of the unkown MCAT score risk; how well you do in school may be easier to control for some students (i.e., those that are less gifted but harder working).

Does anyone have experience with these programs, and if they are misguided, why do the schools continue to have them (Is there some other motivating factor such as gov't funding, diversity, etc??)?
well that's the lure dude. Like Vanderbilt just started this program this year that gives admission into their professional schools with a combines program. (i.e. law, business, med, etc). the reason for this is because it attracts top tier students into coming and atleast visiting the school. one of the strongest things at vandy is the atmosphere and the campus. so when the kids see that, they're hooked, even if they don't get in. I applied there early because when i visited the school, i feel head over heels... not only for the sorority chicks, but the landscaping is really nice. it's up there with places like stanford and stuff. but yeah. i think these programs are great. why not if you know what you want to do? all the power to ya.

hi, i'm in one of these mis-guided programs. there are several books about them if you search on bn.com. actually, more new programs have started over the last five years than have shut down. they have high gpa and SAT requirements to get in and you have to show dedication to the field of medicine. our class had an avg SAT of 1520 and a high school GPA of 3.89. We did not have to get a particular score on the MCATs but our average is a 33 and our GPA average is a 3.7. Several of us have gotten offers from other med schools. our undergraduate institution is the number one public institution in the northeast and we are one of seven public colleges/universities to be considered "most competitive." we are go to UMDNJ-NJMS, which judging from the many posts on this board has no dearth of qualified applicants,if you want more info, let me know.

FYI..im also in the BA/MD program for UMDNJ-NJMS....i got in after my sophmore year, but then once i got in i reclassified as a senior...i didnt need a specific MCAT score, however, i did get a 30P( evenly distributed). With the given amout of applicants to medical school and less than 50% getting a seat, I think these programs are very good. What more can you ask for? You are one of the lucky ones to have a seat in medical school, something a lot of people will do anything for.

Hi! I am also in one of these "misguided" BS-MD programs, and I think that it was a huge advantage. I went to the College of William & Mary and was accepted into the joint program with EVMS after my freshman year. (It's now done after sophmore year.)

When I got in, I NEVER thought that I would end up going to EVMS. I planned to just use it as a safety school in case I didn't get in anywhere better. Now, 4 years later, I'm going to EVMS. (I want to do family practice, so it doesn't really matter where I go.)

Undergrad is not JUST about working hard for grades. Because I already had gotten in, I was able to spend an entire year abroad, and EVMS also let me defer my admission to go abroad before starting medical school.

Okay, so I didn't take the MCAT, but I have had the chance to learn a second language in the last four years and have had some great experiences. I also had the chance to work full time in an emergency room senior year. I wouldn't have been able to have done that if I had had a super-difficult course load.

EVMS has allowed me to develop interests outside of medicine. I'm sure that the transition into medical school will be difficult, but I think that the transition into medical school isn't particularly easy for anyone. And, the standards for acceptance into the program are generally pretty high. There is an interview, minimum SAT scores, high school class rank, etc.

I have, however, seen this system not work as well. There are definitely applicants who are accepted to these programs who do nothing with medicine in undergrad and then probably have an extremely rough time with medical school. It all depends on what your goals are!

Good luck!

jlgone said:
And if you don't do well on the MCAT, then it's a strong sign that you will have more trouble in med school and should re-think if it's the best thing for you.

kmturn said:
HiOkay, so I didn't take the MCAT, but I have had the chance to learn a second language in the last four years and have had some great experiences. I also had the chance to work full time in an emergency room senior year. I wouldn't have been able to have done that if I had had a super-difficult course load.
Sure you would have - you just would have to have better time management. I know a second language, and I worked 35 hours last week (and 48 hours the week before) as an EMT while taking a relatively difficult courseload. I'm not going to have any semesters abroad, but that's also due to financial constraints.

do u guys know if wisconsin still has a bs-md program? I can't find it anywhere on their site. thanx

also dothey have an early assurance program for current collge freshamn or sophs?

also dothey have an early assurance program for current collge freshamn or sophs?

UMiami and UF have such programs for college sophomores...not sure about Wisconsin.