Algebra2/Trig Honors- 95
AP Computer science - 93
AP Chem - 87
GPA - 93.875(3.8)
SAT estimate based on practice - 1900 - 2000
EC's:
Varisty Tennis
100+ volunteer hours(hospital)

Hey Guys i was wondering if you guys could tell if i have a chance at any BS/MD programs if so could yo list any. I know how competitive they are but do i have a chance at a few ?

Members don't see this ad.

You'd need more medically related extracurriculars than that unfortunately. I did shadowing (3 different physicians), volunteering at a hospital, volunteering at an old-age home, canvassing for health organizations, and volunteering at blood drives and that (along with 99+th percentile SAT I and valedictorian, and great non-med ECs) got me rejected at the BS-MD I applied to.

So, not to sound like a total d*****, I think BS-MDs are pretty unlikely right now.

You'd need more medically related extracurriculars than that unfortunately. I did shadowing (3 different physicians), volunteering at a hospital, volunteering at an old-age home, canvassing for health organizations, and volunteering at blood drives and that (along with 99+th percentile SAT I and valedictorian, and great non-med ECs) got me rejected at the BS-MD I applied to.

So, not to sound like a total d*****, I think BS-MDs are pretty unlikely right now.

:thumbup:
yea they are really competetive ;/

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are not so stellar. For many programs, you need to be in top 5% and have better SAT scores.

As a BS/MD student, the applicants are redic now. Also, many schools are cutting back on number of seats.

I do wish you luck though. You should apply to couple if it your ambition. Sometimes, you can get lucky.

Doesn't hurt to apply. The worst that can happen is your don't get accepted. You probably want to try to get your SAT score a bit higher than 2000 to start being competitive for some of these programs.

If you can find a physician or two to shadow, these programs like to see your know what it really means to be a physician and that you are ready to commit to that for your career.

The most important part is nailing the interview. Even if you are not the perfect candidate, if you can get an interview for one of these programs and do really well with the interview, you will have chance.

^Yep, I agree. Try to get the great scores, great med ECs, and try to beef up on regular ECs (doing things you like to do though! I am also a varsity athlete too, so things like that are fine on an application. Try to get some leadership positions in your non-med related ECs).

The interviews are key though. My final interview round wasn't too great and I think that's why I was rejected. I honestly couldn't find a flaw in my application other than the interview and not having prior lab/research experience.

Apply to a couple if you feel inclined. You never know, but as of now it's not looking likely.

I applied to Drexel BS/MD program 2011 and six affiliated schools. I have ACT 35 + SAT 2350 and thought I will get admitted easily to a good associated UG program of DUCOM. This year DUCOM started assigning the UG program to the accepted students without giving any choice. Even with my credentials, DUCOM assigned me to a D-grade UG program that is totally unacceptable. I visited many of these affiliated universities and most of them are worthless as educational institution. At the last moment, I am being forced to change my plan and give up Drexel BS/MD dream. I am very sad. This should be a warning for 2012 applicants of Drexel BS/MD program.

Echoing Earl and Torshi, you might need stronger medically related ECs. I mean, what the interviewers are looking for is if you have a clear idea of what medicine is like, and know what you're about to get yourself into. "Why do you want to be a doctor" might be the main focus of the interview and essay.

I think your class rank and grades are good enough to get you an interview, but your sat score may be holding you back. Try to get the sat score in the 2100+ range and an act score in the 30+ range.

Last year I was waitlisted at the BS/MD I applied to. I had about a 90 avg and 2200 sat/33 act, which was enough to get me an interview. But my major flaw was not having enough time or focus spent on medically-related activities.