BS/MD Student wondering how to prep for Step 1, and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amsplme1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you all have any tips for how to prep for med school? Is there anything you might say I could get started on familiarizing myself with beforehand (e.g. USMLE Step 1 questions/terms, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Quite a few of you in my program here in Australia - 2 yrs undergrad + 4 yrs med - straight out of high school.

If I were you, I would say the priority at this moment should be finding the best margarita. Once your medical studies get underway, life is a hectic social abnegation from that point onward. You don't want to get bored/apathetic because you've learned it all too soon. Then you'll find yourself writing poetry while your friends are studying for the actual Step.

(but to address your question more seriously, USMLE Step1 SECRETS would be a great pre-medical school book if you insist on the jump-start)

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering if you all have any tips for how to prep for med school? Is there anything you might say I could get started on familiarizing myself with beforehand (e.g. USMLE Step 1 questions/terms, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Start by learning how to search the forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance!

The only advice I can give you regarding this topic is that you should not even think about studying until one year before you plan to take the exam. Until that point, worry about maintaining your life and doing well in your courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, but let's leave out USMLE--anything you'd recommend prior to med school to prepare for the intensity? I don't want to be caught off guard by the pace of study, and I wonder if studying the material beforehand will lessen the chance of that happening...

Okay, but let's leave out USMLE--anything you'd recommend prior to med school to prepare for the intensity? I don't want to be caught off guard by the pace of study, and I wonder if studying the material beforehand will lessen the chance of that happening...

No, I'm a big proponent of doing each thing at its own time. What you can do now is to get into a rhythm, figure out your study habits, what works what doesn't. Figure out a routine, a lifestyle that you are comfortable with. Figure out what you like to do for fun and how to balance that with your work. Once you have all of that figured out try to make it as flexible as possible so that you can scale and adjust things according to academic demands. Half the battle of med school is trying to figure out your style. If you've got that done, then it should be easy to adapt when things change.

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you say that? I think if at my school if we took no vacation, we had 9 weeks between the end of second and the beginning of third year. I used 7, most people spent 6-8 weeks from what I've seen.