Bs Vs Ms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMPH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to PA schools now (only few school still open admission for fall) but most of them are B.S programs. I already received my B.S in biology and I hope to get into MS program. I am just curious what is the difference between MPA & regular PA in terms of Salary and job opportunities? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

TMPH said:
I am in the process of applying to PA schools now (only few school still open admission for fall) but most of them are B.S programs. I already received my B.S in biology and I hope to get into MS program. I am just curious what is the difference between MPA & regular PA in terms of Salary and job opportunities? ;)
no difference

My wife said that in the future the masters will be the prefered one. Her PA degree is a BS but at the same time Nova gave her an MMS (masters in Medical science)

Although, I am not sure if that counts as being a masters of PA.

I think all PA degrees should be masters level work

Members don't see this ad :)
TMPH said:

The PA program I went to required the faculty to have a Master's. Therefore, having only the B.S. might hinder you if you seek a job in the area of education.

For the most part, in the clinical setting, it doesn't make a difference. However, I do seem to recall that there are some places where having the M.S. gets you slightly more pay. I think the VA is like that - perhaps someone working there can confirm.

Phil

A lot of programs are currently converting to Masters programs, including mine for the 2005-2006 year. If you are wanting to get into a program for this fall, go ahead and get the B.S. You can always do an online course to get your Masters after you graduate and while you're working.