BSc.Pharm VS PharmD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX2011

RX2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive always been curious as to what the difference is between the Canadian BSc.Pharm degree and the american PharmD. degree.
why is it that in the states most schools have switched to this PharmD degree whereas Canadian schools are still offering the Bsc. degree
Is one better than the other? and
why dont canadian schools switch as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive always been curious as to what the difference is between the Canadian BSc.Pharm degree and the american PharmD. degree.
why is it that in the states most schools have switched to this PharmD degree whereas Canadian schools are still offering the Bsc. degree
Is one better than the other? and
why dont canadian schools switch as well?

Well, the BSc.Pharm degree would be considered a bachelor's degree and not a professional degree. The U.S. system has switched over to a Pharm.D. (doctorate program) which designates a professional level not granted to a bachelor's level degree. I don't think there's a big difference in terms of the quality of education (i'm pretty sure canadian pharmacists are just as qualified to be pharmacists), but it's nice to know that a Pharm. D. program has to be accredited on both an academic and professional level and operates independently of the institution offering the degree (i.e., it's not as subject to campus-wide decisions on funding since it is its own independent school).

Also it gives our profession a little more respect in the healthcare system =) That's always nice to have, gettin the recognition and respect our hardworking colleagues deserve.

Well, the BSc.Pharm degree would be considered a bachelor's degree and not a professional degree. I don't think there's a big difference in terms of the quality of education (i'm pretty sure canadian pharmacists are just as qualified to be pharmacists), but it's nice to know that a Pharm. D. program has to be accredited on both an academic and professional level and operates independently of the institution offering the degree (i.e., it's not as subject to campus-wide decisions on funding since it is its own independent school).

Also it gives our profession a little more respect in the healthcare system =) That's always nice to have, gettin the recognition and respect our hardworking colleagues deserve.

A B.Sc. Pharm is a professional degree, hence the lectures we've received on professionalism initiated with the "Welcome to professional school" line.

All pharmacy schools are accredited by a national accrediting agency, just as american programs are. I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to a separate "professional" accreditor.

Your final comment isn't really accurate either, different lettering after your name means absolutely nothing with regards to respect. 'Tis your conduct, and not your lettering that matters my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you can work in the US with a BSc Pharm?

I am going to UBC pharmacy in Canada and I want to know becuase they have a PharmD program at UBC which is 2 years after your 4 years of pharmacy school

Does this mean that a Canadian PharmD is more qualified than an American PharmD?

i think the big difference is that the canadian pharmD is a postgraduate professional program whereas the US pharmD is an entry level professional program. therefore, the canadian pharmD may or may not be more superior but the two are definately not equivalent.

You can still work in the USA if you have a BScPharm. A few years ago there were some American schools still graduating students with a BSc degree.

binghamkid has no clue what he/she is saying

and yes a Canadian PharmD is more qualified because it is a true researched based PhD

binghamkid sounds like an ignorant American. No mean to offend anyone.

Sorry, my mistake. I was referencing information I looked up online and misunderstood it. Thank you for correcting me. I tried to help by researching and got it wrong. It happens. No one's perfect after all.

:laugh: Isn't that an oxymoron? Or are you a *****?

As long as you can tackle the licensing exams (which I have heard are easier to deal with in the States than in Canada), you are set to practice even if you are a Canadian graduate.

The only reason the U.S. no longer offers the BPharm is because the ACPE or Accreditation Council on Pharmaceutical Education decided that it wanted to do away with the BPharm, as a result, the BPharm was replaced it with an entry level Pharm.D. Furthermore, up until around 2004, students in the U.S. had the choice of either a BPharm or Pharm.D. However due to these changes, students who are now in school or those that are interested in becoming a pharmacist in the future must enter a program which confers a Pharm.D. This issue to me has nothing to do with which country has more strict/stringent requirements; instead it has everything to do with what the regulatory bodies of pharmaceutical education decide about the future of pharmacy in their respective countries. And in regards to awww's comment, a Pharm.D. and a Ph.D. are not equivalent.