bsn student now seeking med school...need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nursek06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am halfway thru my bsn program and decided I want to be a doctor. I don't know how to transition. I originally was going to go from rn to np but decided becoming an md would give me more options, autonomy, and respect. I am petrified of dropping off the rn-np track and then not getting into med school. I have friends who are much stronger med school candidates than me who have been rejected! I would appreciate input from others that may have been in similar situations. Thanks! hope to hear back. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Nursek06

I am a nurse currently (for about 10 years) and am now finishing my pre reqs for med school. Here is what i see as your options:

Option #1:

Finish your BSN and come out as a Nurse. Have the ability to make some good money and get your pre reqs for med school done while you work part time. The pre reqs you will have to do are:
1) Biology I & II with lab (general)
2) Physics I & II with Lab (non-calc)
3) Chem I & II with lab (General)
4) English Comp I & II
5) Organic Chem I & II with lab

Option #2:

Stop where you are in the program now and start taking pre reqs. Regardless of where you are you must basically have an undergrad degree before applying to med school. This option may get you in faster, it may save you a year but at the same time it will be a much harder route and you wont have the backup plan of nursing.

So really it is up to you and it depends on where you are in the BSN program. Moreover, if you finished the BSN route you would already have an undergrad degree, a guarenteed job and as an RN you would get a better appreciation for what Doctors do.

You have to decide for yourself in this case. What i will say is i will be 33 when i start med school and im making sure im successful in the pre reqs by taking them 2 at a time. It adds a year onto when i could enter but it is more important to do well for a competitive GPA than it is to get in a year quicker. Really whats a year? For me to say that as someone in a career for 10 years and married with a life it should suggest a year is nothing for you ;)

You say that your friends are better candidates - you must mean GPA-wise. That can be fixed. You can take classes. you can do well on the MCAT.

I think being a nurse in itself makes you a very strong candidate for med school. From my experience in the admission process, there are some schools that love that kind of experience, and will provide some flexibility GPA/MCAT wise for someone with that kind of experience.

But statistically speaking you have to have a certain GPA and a certain MCAT to get an interview. Basically, 90% of the people who interview at med school have a 3.3 or better, and close to a 30 on the MCAT. You should look this up in the MSAR for more accuracy and see how your stats compare.

The schools I interviewed at (8) all said that if you got an interview you passed the academic screen, and from the interview pool the admissions com decisions were based on subjective things. Here being a nurse would put you WAY ahead of other candidates.

Maybe you could become a nurse, and then if you still want to be a doctor go back to school full-time for a year and take the pre-reqs. That'd give you experience and time to really focus on raising your GPA. Then you could take a year to apply and work as a nurse, saving money all the while.

you've got two good options. And there's no hurry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mike,
I am a nurse and live in AZ also, are you going the DO or MD route. If your doing the DO route have you visited Midwestern yet? :cool: I have visted it seems like a good school.

nursek06 said:
I am halfway thru my bsn program and decided I want to be a doctor. I don't know how to transition. I originally was going to go from rn to np but decided becoming an md would give me more options, autonomy, and respect. I am petrified of dropping off the rn-np track and then not getting into med school. I have friends who are much stronger med school candidates than me who have been rejected! I would appreciate input from others that may have been in similar situations. Thanks! hope to hear back. :D

Hi Nursek06!
You've got some great advices already. I am a nurse too (have been for 15 yrs). I have already been accepted to many med schools, which are considered to be good, and are very well known to U.S and Canada. I'm older, and did not want to wait for MCAT results(I've never taken one). I do not recomend you take a shortcut like this. For my personal reasons (all I want to do is Family Medicine) Carib school will get me there. Please stay in school,get your nursing degree,and I will advice you to take NCLEX and to get licensed. This way you will always have a back up, and not just a set of worthless undegrad credits. Besides, being a nurse should definitely help you to get to MD/DO school. Take some other prereqs, MCAT and you'll be set. Have no fear of not getting into med school. If some weird reason you can't get in U.S/Canada school than the Caribbean is always a viable option. Focus, and get it done.

Good Luck

You are going to need a Bachelor's degree. Nursing is as good as any. Besides you can get valuable clinical experience and a paycheck.

Finish you BSN, take your med school pre-req's at the same time.

Save yourself the grief of being an unemployable college graduate by getting that BSN and a nursing license.

sunnyjohn said:
You are going to need a Bachelor's degree. Nursing is as good as any. Besides you can get valuable clinical experience and a paycheck.

Finish you BSN, take your med school pre-req's at the same time.

Save yourself the grief of being an unemployable college graduate by getting that BSN and a nursing license.

I disagree wholeheartedly (as someone who was once in the same place as you). Remember that, like it or not, fair or not, reasonable or not, medical school admission is VERY, VERY competitive. Now, unlike PA school (or NP school obviously), a medical school admissions committee does not care what your degree is in, so long as your pre-reqs are done. They will not give you "credit" for your BSN over any other BS or BA. So, what program should you be in? Whatever one will give you the highest GPA! Nursing school is tough and it has proven resistant to the rampant grade inflation that has gripped Universities over the past, not so few, years. If you are in one of these programs, where As are scarce and Bs or even Cs are the norm, you need to get out now (if an MD/DO is your goal).

It is a tough choice, I wish you good luck!

- H

FoughtFyr said:
I disagree wholeheartedly (as someone who was once in the same place as you). Remember that, like it or not, fair or not, reasonable or not, medical school admission is VERY, VERY competitive. Now, unlike PA school (or NP school obviously), a medical school admissions committee does not care what your degree is in, so long as your pre-reqs are done. They will not give you "credit" for your BSN over any other BS or BA. So, what program should you be in? Whatever one will give you the highest GPA! Nursing school is tough and it has proven resistant to the rampant grade inflation that has gripped Universities over the past, not so few years. If you are in one of these programs, where As are scarce and Bs or even Cs are the norm, you need to get out now (if an MD/DO is your goal).

- H

I am bias I think nursing with some experience is valuable. Just a friendly suggestion - take a cell bio, molecular bio, and bio chem course - you will be glad you did. I have a nursing background and the first month of school is nothing but cellular bio and bio chem. along with all the other fun classes...nursing does not prepare you (nor did the pre reqs) for the bio chem. and cell bio.

just my 2 cents

oldManDO2009 said:
I am bias I think nursing with some experience is valuable. Just a friendly suggestion - take a cell bio, molecular bio, and bio chem course - you will be glad you did. I have a nursing background and the first month of school is nothing but cellular bio and bio chem. along with all the other fun classes...nursing does not prepare you (nor did the pre reqs) for the bio chem. and cell bio.

just my 2 cents

I went the route of double majoring. I started out in a BSN program, and was to damn stuborn to give up the nursing degree while finishing the pre-req work. So to make a long story short, and two degrees latter I ended up in med-school.
Ok to answer your question....1) Finish your BSN ...please :D
it may not prepare you for the first two years, but it helped me rock the third year...and honestly your third year clerkships and board scores is where the money is...... (also I had time to work a little per-diem,so while some of my classmates were selling shoes at the mall, I was making 23/hr as a float :)
2)I think the BSN experince does give you a leg up.... after being through the gauntlet of med-school interviews ......and the residency interviews...it will set you apart from the pack...it's all about how you market yourself
3)and finally numbers are a plus......e.g. MCAT, but after being privy to numerous application reviews , the total package is key.........

Well said.

bignursemd said:
I went the route of double majoring. I started out in a BSN program, and was to damn stuborn to give up the nursing degree while finishing the pre-req work. So to make a long story short, and two degrees latter I ended up in med-school.
Ok to answer your question....1) Finish your BSN ...please :D
it may not prepare you for the first two years, but it helped me rock the third year...and honestly your third year clerkships and board scores is where the money is...... (also I had time to work a little per-diem,so while some of my classmates were selling shoes at the mall, I was making 23/hr as a float :)
2)I think the BSN experince does give you a leg up.... after being through the gauntlet of med-school interviews ......and the residency interviews...it will set you apart from the pack...it's all about how you market yourself
3)and finally numbers are a plus......e.g. MCAT, but after being privy to numerous application reviews , the total package is key.........

True, it's all in how you market yourself.

Get the best grades and MCAT scores you can.

BSN-RN or BS in Biology, make yourself the best candidate.

FoughtFyr said:
I disagree wholeheartedly (as someone who was once in the same place as you). Remember that, like it or not, fair or not, reasonable or not, medical school admission is VERY, VERY competitive. Now, unlike PA school (or NP school obviously), a medical school admissions committee does not care what your degree is in, so long as your pre-reqs are done. They will not give you "credit" for your BSN over any other BS or BA. So, what program should you be in? Whatever one will give you the highest GPA! Nursing school is tough and it has proven resistant to the rampant grade inflation that has gripped Universities over the past, not so few years. If you are in one of these programs, where As are scarce and Bs or even Cs are the norm, you need to get out now (if an MD/DO is your goal).

- H

I think FoughtFyr's comments are accurate. The BSN is as good as any, but no better than any other degree as far as med school admissions is concerned. Surely it makes sense to have a vocation, but if you are committed to becoming a doctor, you will get in somewhere - somehow! If grades are an issue in nursing, find an easier program where you can obtain better grades! This is very good advice by Foughtfyr. We all know that not all bachelors’ degrees are equal, but admissions departments don't care. They like it when a student studies what they are interested in and figure if you do alright in the pre-reqs., you are capable of that level of work. Unfortunately, GPA matters even though a 3.5 in x program is similar to a 2.7 in nursing. Be honest about what you enjoy and genuinely want to study. If you love English lit. - Study it. If you really don't like nursing - change degrees fast. I find that students who study what they like and are honest to themselves are accepted into medical school at higher rates than students who tailor themselves to the pre-med student poster child. If I can spot it, surely the medical college admissions staff can also. Don't study something because it will give you a back-up plan. If medical school doesn’t work out for you and you don't like nursing, you've made the wrong decision. I personally wouldn't study something because it will make it easier to find a job when I get out. You won't have to make a lot of money your first years out of college. I worked in a restaurant cooking my first two years out of college. My parents weren’t impressed - so what?

I agree with the idea that there are disadvantages to a professional type program like a BSN. For example I work full-time and trying to hang with a regimented full-time BSN program would be detrimental to my gpa. As someone who's already trying to overcome a poor gpa I can't go the professional school route. I think it needs to be an individual decision based on your best individual strategy for success. $ and the ability to go to work in a state that has alot of med schools is some obvious advantages to an RN license. The experience rocks but I wonder about its superiority to scientic/research training if your interested in something like radiology. For example after completing my physiology degree i plan to look for some clinical research jobs while applying to med school with the approach of building my experience towards a career in radiology, i don't think an R.N. license would be pivotal in my pursuits. Good luck in any case!--Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same position as OP. I am currently a nursing student expecting to graduate with BSN Dec 2006. I had actually considered going BS instead of nursing school, but got scared. nursing was just easier. but, this past summer after working in a hospital with med students and residents, i changed my mind again and decided that i do want to pursue med school. But, i am going to finish my BSN, and then do a year post-bacc to finish pre-reqs while working as an RN. I really want to be a doctor, but I know that if I dont make it, i will definitely be a nurse. I dont know about another major being easier. I guess it depends on how well you are doing in your nursing program, how easy A's are to get. My program is not super easy, but I am doing OK. If it fits in your schedule, you could definitely just take the prereqs with your nursing classes. I would do that, but at my university, nursing classes are on a pretty weird schedule that doesnt really fit with other classes very well. but, good luck, stay in touch, its nice to hear from someone in the same situation as me.

moonbunnie said:
I am in the same position as OP. I am currently a nursing student expecting to graduate with BSN Dec 2006. I had actually considered going BS instead of nursing school, but got scared. nursing was just easier. but, this past summer after working in a hospital with med students and residents, i changed my mind again and decided that i do want to pursue med school. But, i am going to finish my BSN, and then do a year post-bacc to finish pre-reqs while working as an RN. I really want to be a doctor, but I know that if I dont make it, i will definitely be a nurse. I dont know about another major being easier. I guess it depends on how well you are doing in your nursing program, how easy A's are to get. My program is not super easy, but I am doing OK. If it fits in your schedule, you could definitely just take the prereqs with your nursing classes. I would do that, but at my university, nursing classes are on a pretty weird schedule that doesnt really fit with other classes very well. but, good luck, stay in touch, its nice to hear from someone in the same situation as me.

I can deff. appreciate the variations in the Nursing class schedule vs. taking other classes. When I was at Northeastern, we were still on the trimester system wich made my life extra fun :D
But hey since you are so far along I'd deff. try to get your course work (pre-reqs) done at the same time...possible options....1) Night school (at the time I picked up 1/3 of my biochem courses at night----just make sure they transfer.....it makes your life helll, but when your done w/ orgo an physics, in less time then your day conterparts you'll be overjoyed ,2) signing up for the courses at another local institution, I picked up g. chem 1 and 2 at the Harvard extension school program...so you night want to check out other local universities.....3)Remember, that the grades only effect your calculated GPA science vs non-science (on the AMCAS system) and also remember if you rock some of your nursing classes , e.g Pathophysiology you can include those in the science calculation.......
rock on ...and good luck
BNMD

i really did consider all my options for taking pre-reqs along with my nursing classes, but at this point, with only 3 semesters until graduation, i figure its not worth it. I am taking a college algebra class, although i have already taken stats. if my school offered night classes, i would definitely do it, but they are very limited. but, i have already picked out a good post-bacc, and i am okay with taking an extra year of school. i actually like school a lot. do you really think i could include pathopys in my science gpa? Cause i did rock it, and got an A :)

Hi I think that your advise is great. My sistuation is a little different and I was wondering if you could give me some advise. I am a nursing student, I graduate in the spring of 06. I spent 4 years going to a community college for my associates. It is a strange program becuase you have to have your pre-req done before you can start clinical, so 2 years for pre req and 2 years for clinical. ( they really rob you blind). Anyways, I want to be a doctor, I dont want to settle for NP. (sorry to offend anyone it just me!) I have all my gen eds that will transfer for my BSN, but I need my clinical for my BSN. So I have 2 options, get my BSN + take my required sciences (just incase I decide to settle to be an NP), or froget about BSN, and go for biology. It will take me longer to get my bs in biology maybe a year (if i go full time), and it will take me at the most 2 1/2 years for my BSN+ pre-reqs. I just dont want to be older and going to medical school. I want to finish Med school before I am 30 ( I am 22 now). Thank you for the advise in advanced.

nagemj said:
Hi I think that your advise is great. My sistuation is a little different and I was wondering if you could give me some advise. I am a nursing student, I graduate in the spring of 06. I spent 4 years going to a community college for my associates. It is a strange program becuase you have to have your pre-req done before you can start clinical, so 2 years for pre req and 2 years for clinical. ( they really rob you blind). Anyways, I want to be a doctor, I dont want to settle for NP. (sorry to offend anyone it just me!) I have all my gen eds that will transfer for my BSN, but I need my clinical for my BSN. So I have 2 options, get my BSN + take my required sciences (just incase I decide to settle to be an NP), or froget about BSN, and go for biology. It will take me longer to get my bs in biology maybe a year (if i go full time), and it will take me at the most 2 1/2 years for my BSN+ pre-reqs. I just dont want to be older and going to medical school. I want to finish Med school before I am 30 ( I am 22 now). Thank you for the advise in advanced.
Good morning, Ok lets look at the numbers.....you're 22 at the moment, if you continue forward , e.g. finish your BSN ---23, (and my advice is don't even think about throwing away such a precious degree) and after that you could either do a post-bacc program or just finish your pre-reqs---will say 1-2 years . And remember that at the same time you could either be working per diem, or full time, depends on your situation. But this will bring you up to 24-25. At this point you have several options......you've finshed your pre-reqs, and are applying to med-school with a very diverse, solid background, or you're applying to NP school, or possible PA school. But the point is 1)be honest to yourself about what you want to do, either MD, NP , PA, etc.... you have the time, but you also so have some flexibility about what direction you can go. Your nursing degree is an awsome platform to start form. 2) And the truth is the way you look at it, you'll just be approaching 30 during residency.....still a spring chicken!
But as for doing a post-bacc vs. just going and attaining your pre-reqs, their are pros-and cons to each. Look at both and figure out what's the best fit. As for nursing take the time you have once you graduate, to work in diffrent enviroments, I deff. feel the ICU has much to offer, and if you are considering an NP in anesthesia , this is a great launching point.
Hope this helps :D and good luck...it's an awsome road ahead..

Greetings all....

I was looking at some of the postings here and thought my experience would be beneficial to some of you. Many moons ago, I got my BS in biology with hopes of going to medical school.....I graduated from a prestigous private college and after two failed attempts at getting into medical school I shelved the dreams of becoming a physician and sought to use my biology degree.....well, I couldn't get a job at the 7-11 with my pricey degree so I worked construction....what I thought would be a short term gig turned into a 4 years....I couldn't see doing that for the rest of my life so I took a job in a power plant thinking that I could at the very least use the Biology degree that I worked so hard to get.....wrong...just wasn't the fit for me....I worked full time nights and attended school full time during the day and got my BSN from the GVSU. I immediately dropped the powerplant job and accepted a position in an inner city hospital ER. Let me tell you, the experience I gained in the ER really taught me something....I WANTED TO BE A DOCTOR!!! Now, I knew what I had to do, so I did it....buckled down and studied for the MCAT and am proud to say that I am in my OMS I year at LECOM-Bradenton. I guess what I am trying to say is go for the BSN, you can get into medical school with any degree...my roommate is an engineer for pete's sake! But, and this is a big BUT, if you don't get into medical school the first year (of which the majority of applicants do not!!!) you will have the ability to get a job, a job that affords both clinical experience, and networking....networking is good.

I hope this helps, advice is always free, and your always entitled to do as you please.

Good luck, study hard.

Mark

Hey I'm currently in Nursing school (direct entry) have a bachelor in Science and have all my pre-req and I'm planning on applying to med school next year. My question to you kota315 is what did you say when asked you why the switch from nursing to med? I 'm curious cuz when med school interviews roll around that question may come up for me. I personally have a thirst fro knoweledge and nursing is interesting but...I just don't want it coming out the wrong way any pointer would be appreciated
Thanks

:thumbup:
kota315 said:
Greetings all....

I was looking at some of the postings here and thought my experience would be beneficial to some of you. Many moons ago, I got my BS in biology with hopes of going to medical school.....I graduated from a prestigous private college and after two failed attempts at getting into medical school I shelved the dreams of becoming a physician and sought to use my biology degree.....well, I couldn't get a job at the 7-11 with my pricey degree so I worked construction....what I thought would be a short term gig turned into a 4 years....I couldn't see doing that for the rest of my life so I took a job in a power plant thinking that I could at the very least use the Biology degree that I worked so hard to get.....wrong...just wasn't the fit for me....I worked full time nights and attended school full time during the day and got my BSN from the GVSU. I immediately dropped the powerplant job and accepted a position in an inner city hospital ER. Let me tell you, the experience I gained in the ER really taught me something....I WANTED TO BE A DOCTOR!!! Now, I knew what I had to do, so I did it....buckled down and studied for the MCAT and am proud to say that I am in my OMS I year at LECOM-Bradenton. I guess what I am trying to say is go for the BSN, you can get into medical school with any degree...my roommate is an engineer for pete's sake! But, and this is a big BUT, if you don't get into medical school the first year (of which the majority of applicants do not!!!) you will have the ability to get a job, a job that affords both clinical experience, and networking....networking is good.

I hope this helps, advice is always free, and your always entitled to do as you please.

Good luck, study hard.

Mark

There is a lot of really good advice here.

I am an RN who started down the NP route and realized it was not for me and got into medical school.

I think all the above advice is right on. Basically, getting a BSN will be an advantage to some schools and a liability to others. Some value the experience and others don't like nursing applicants as much as someone with say a biology degree.

I would say the following: If you are really close to finishing the BSN, finish it. If you are halfway or so I would probably switch to something else that will be more useful to you later such as biology.

Rationale:
Finishing a BSN 1) it's a degree 2) you can make money 3) you will gain some experience
Doing something else 1) More useful in medical school (at least the first two years 2) Will probably increase your MCAT score 3) Makes you less likely to "get trapped." What I mean by this is that a lot of people I know that are RNs that think about going to medical school wind up working as a nurse and then life happens. You get married, buy a house, have a kid, etc. and never go back to school. A lot of these people wind up really miserable because they haven't fulfilled their dream. A lot will try to compensate by getting an advanced practice license but a lot of them still wind up unhappy.

The reality is that if really want to get into medical school and work hard, it can be done. What WILL keep you from getting in is succumbing to the fear a lot of have about taking the MCAT, getting in and succeeding. Also, going back after you are older and have more commitments is more difficult.

I wish you all well. There are a lot of us that were in your shoes not that long ago.

Study hard, do well in undergrad, study for the MCAT, apply broadly and you will do well. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Dr.2be...

Glad you asked, as I too was concerned about how that would affect my entrance interview.... All I can say is be honest, I was....I told them from the start that nursing was just an avenue to see if I truly had the desire and interest in medicine.... I knew I wanted to be a doctor back in the day, when I first applied and was politely asked to walk away.... I took an alternate direction and found Nursing school as a positive way to find out if I truly knew what I was getting into...as a nurse you are able to see first hand what the life of a doctor is all about....I used my experiences to show them that I knew what I was getting myself into and that being a nurse better prepared me for the rough road ahead....

Hope that helps....

Mark
LECOM c/o 09'

Dr.2be said:
Hey I'm currently in Nursing school (direct entry) have a bachelor in Science and have all my pre-req and I'm planning on applying to med school next year. My question to you kota315 is what did you say when asked you why the switch from nursing to med? I 'm curious cuz when med school interviews roll around that question may come up for me. I personally have a thirst fro knoweledge and nursing is interesting but...I just don't want it coming out the wrong way any pointer would be appreciated
Thanks

:thumbup:

Not to be nasty, but why are you taking up a spot in a nursing program when you have no intention of being a nurse? So many programs are waitlisting potential students who do want to be nurses. If you have no desire to be a nurse, let someone else have your spot. Just go to med school and be done with it.

I'm not even going to get started on direct entry programs... :rolleyes:

:oops: I understand your point (I am gretaful for the opportunity to be in the program) but after graduation I realized that I was not a competitive applicant for med school and was not sure what to do (take a year of doing random classes to raise GPA, do another bachelor's, I really gave it some thought). I did not want to do a master's in my field since I am not interested in research. Nursing seemed like a good opportunity and I would also see what I was getting myself into when I apply to med school since volunteering only shows one side of the health care field. I got a different experience when caring for a the patient and working with the staff when oj clinical rotation. I think my nursing background will give me something unique to bring to the table as an applicant to med school. Hope that answers your question fab4fan :oops:

fab4fan said:
Not to be nasty, but why are you taking up a spot in a nursing program when you have no intention of being a nurse? So many programs are waitlisting potential students who do want to be nurses. If you have no desire to be a nurse, let someone else have your spot. Just go to med school and be done with it.

fab4fan said:

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute here.... using the nursing program as a method to get into medical school is no different then any other degree.... with the exception that if you don't get into medical school your first, second or even your third try, your not stuck pan handling for jobs, holding a worthless biology degree....

Nursing is an excellent job, and an excellent career for many.... but it is also an ideal stepping stone into medical school.... I enjoyed my time as an RN and know that my experiences will help me 100 fold in my clincial years as a medical student....

I say if your in the nursing program, then you have done one thing right....you have planned for one of the most likely possibilities....not getting in! case in point.....my application was one of 1700 to lecom....for 160 seats

Mark, RN, BSN, BS(biology)
LECOM c/o 09'

I'm sorry, but there are people out there who have been waitlisted for years to get into a nursing program. They want to be nurses, not just bide their time in a nursing program until they can get into med school.

It's one thing if someone has been a nurse for a while and then decides to pursue medicine; quite another when someone has no intention of being a nurse and is just using it as a means to an end. That's not fair to those who really want to get into nursing but can't get a spot because class sizes are so limited.

That's why I said that poster should just work on the med-school pre-reqs instead of wasting his time (and the school's time, plus the nurses' time who'll have to precept him).

What you described, Mark, sounds very different from what Dr2be outlined. If he actually works for a while, yeah, that will probably help, but merely graduating from an accellerated program and going right into a med school program (which is what it sounds like he wants to do) isn't really going to do him that much good. His clinical experience will be negligible, so really all he'll have is another undergrad degree.

fab4fan,

I do understand where your coming from, but the reality is that I never wanted to be a nurse either...but it took me 10 years to get accepted to medical school....so like I said previously, it is better to have a "back up plan" then to think "yep.... I am going to get in".

Case in point, I was working with a guy who was so sure he would get in that he only applied to three schools...mine being one of them....Great guy, excellent scores (3.9 science gpa....30 MCAT) and guess what...yep...flat out denied....not wait listed....denied. So, as the old saying goes....don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Is he taking a seat from someone else that really really wants to be a nurse.....maybe, but then again, I know several people that really really want to be nurses, but don't put forth the effort to get into the program.....

Besides, there is a nursing shortage, has been for the last 5 years, and it will continue until the end of time.....On top of that, now we are in the midst of a physician shortage.....and look at how many people go to medical school and drop out or decide not to practice, and the competition is significantly stiffer.....it is just the way it is.....

To quote my old boss when I worked construction straight out of college...."do whatever you want, your going to do it anyway...."

kota315 said:
fab4fan,

I do understand where your coming from, but the reality is that I never wanted to be a nurse either...but it took me 10 years to get accepted to medical school....so like I said previously, it is better to have a "back up plan" then to think "yep.... I am going to get in".

Case in point, I was working with a guy who was so sure he would get in that he only applied to three schools...mine being one of them....Great guy, excellent scores (3.9 science gpa....30 MCAT) and guess what...yep...flat out denied....not wait listed....denied. So, as the old saying goes....don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Is he taking a seat from someone else that really really wants to be a nurse.....maybe, but then again, I know several people that really really want to be nurses, but don't put forth the effort to get into the program.....

Besides, there is a nursing shortage, has been for the last 5 years, and it will continue until the end of time.....On top of that, now we are in the midst of a physician shortage.....and look at how many people go to medical school and drop out or decide not to practice, and the competition is significantly stiffer.....it is just the way it is.....

To quote my old boss when I worked construction straight out of college...."do whatever you want, your going to do it anyway...."

Well said... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks kota315 for the advice you previously posted. I found it helpful :thumbup:
As for fab4fan well that's my explanation.( :oops: like I said previously I am greatful to be in the position that I am and do not take it for granted but reality is...) I understand what you are saying and trust me I know plenty of (physiotherapy, pharmacy and other nursing students who are in it just to get to med) but I guess ppl are just finding a way to accomplish their dream I can't find a better explanation.
I do have a question for fab4fan what do u think of ppl not finishing their master's degree and go to med school or do finish their masters and have no plan on doing research and just wanted med all along isn't that the same thing?

kota315 said:
fab4fan,

My pleasure... My goal is to only offer some insight....

fab4fan said:

I disagree with the utilitarian notion that the public has the right much less the capacity to hand out spots in academic programs as if it were portioning off food in a soup line. I think the idea is ridiulous--there there is some pre-determined logicity that is mysteriously and mutually areed upon by public and admission body about the proper delegation of resources.

The most talented and industrious people should be able to move about as their professional interests and opportunities change. As for the people who are dying to get into nursing school, I know plenty of them, many who can't sit in front of a text book for more than 5 minutes without getting bored, so are we to lament the cruel world for them?

I also disagree with what is being advocated by those who suggest that nursing is the eminently useful field in preparation for medicine. It is at best a good wage while applying that might ease the medical culture shock for the otherwise uninitiated, plus a small set of technical skills. For example i'm interested in infectious diseases and my microbiology degree will provide me with a basic skill set in some lab techniques, for me nursing would be dull and uninteresting however lucrative.--Ben.

I do have a question for fab4fan what do u think of ppl not finishing their master's degree and go to med school or do finish their masters and have no plan on doing research and just wanted med all along isn't that the same thing?

If I'm following your question, I guess I'd feel the same way, particularly if the master's program was very competetive. I guess for some it doesn't seem so bad because we are talking about nursing, which, as Ben so snidely described, is just a "dull and unimaginative" profession that provides one with only a "small set of technical skills."

The reason so many people are waiting to get into nursing programs has nothing to do with lack of motivation/lack of adequate attention span. It has everything to do with a serious lack of nursing educators. (Not enough teachers= limited class size.) This is one of the reasons the shortage of nurses is going to increase, and, unfortunately, one of the more difficult problems to resolve.

It would be great if people went into nursing because they wanted to be nurses, not because they saw nursing as a "backup plan."

Hey gang,

try not to take it so personally.....as always, we are not going to please all of the people all of the time so strive to please most of the people most of the time....All in all, each of us will travel down the road that is put in front of us and in time we can determine if it is the path we chose or the path chosen for us..... I know, I know, what a load of tripe....just trying to keep everyone a smiling.....

The reason so many people are waiting to get into nursing programs has nothing to do with lack of motivation/lack of adequate attention span. It has everything to do with a serious lack of nursing educators. (Not enough teachers= limited class size.) This is one of the reasons the shortage of nurses is going to increase, and, unfortunately, one of the more difficult problems to resolve.

It would be great if people went into nursing because they wanted to be nurses, not because they saw nursing as a "backup plan."[/QUOTE]

What would you suggest then? A methodology by which one's fixedness of purpose and intent were the only criteria for admission to training programs? To grow and learn and change and to redefine oneself are the benefits of a free society.

What I intended to point out was something that I think you would agree with--that if one is to be involved with a certain knowledge it should be because one is brought to life with the wonder and discovery of it. If for a would be physician this involves training as a nurse because the truly love practicing excellence in patient care then I don't see the problem.

To me the fact that nursing training is in short supply will mean that only those interested enough in it to sacrafice what is now required to do it will be successful. In most cases that has meant high academic performance and extra cultural skills as well as work related experience. I see this as a posetive thing.--Ben.

P.s. Every bachelor's degree will at best give someone a small skill set. I see nursing as a skilled trade and that is not a derogatory thing because I have tremendous respect for skill in the trades as well as in the arts. Medicine is an increasingly broad field requiring narrowing fields of expertise and as such I think command of another field would give a would be physician more developmental potential than nursing which is already the hand and the back bone of medicine without a contrasting or more specific body of knowledge. True the learning curve for non-nursing doctors in training will be much steeper than those who are trained nurses, but eventually residents all meet more or less at the same point with regards to technical skills.

in theory....

benelswick said:
I see nursing as a skilled trade... and that is not a derogatory thing because I have tremendous respect for skill in the trades as well as in the arts.

Really? Would you care to elaborate on how you see nursing as a trade? Do you also see medicine as a trade?

do you have big tits? if so i recommend showing them off at interviews.

Merovingienne said:
Really? Would you care to elaborate on how you see nursing as a trade? Do you also see medicine as a trade?

A master carpenter can make everything seamless, s/he is an expert in the execution of tasks. Little things you pick up on the job is what makes you a pro. You must have an intuitive feel for making things go right, and also went they might go badly if corrective manuevers are not undertaken. Nursing is hands on, you might have aced your courses but if you cant do it in the field then you haven't learned yet.

An architect or an engineer is complete only if s/he has an understanding of the former, however their must also exist an overarching conception of the why's so that the bigger picture can be put together. There are building codes and seismic cosiderations and elements of design and elegance that must be interwoven into the hustle and bustle of building. Similarly medicine's effieciency is predicated on the knowledge of in and outs of patient care operations however someone must be able to understand that a certain drug interaction is causing toxicity in a patient exhibiting a strange array of symptoms--and that requires another order of knowlege.

I don't make any attmept to justify this its just the way I see it and it is what I based my decision on for going for medicine instead of nursing. You can get a clear sense of things sometimes when your at the end of the chain of command. Physician>>>>"Hey would you mind checking so-n-so in room 15....R.N.>>>Goes into the room an immediately smells up the situation and decides that they are suddenly busy dispensing medications as their license requires....Hey Ben, i need you to clean up so-n-so in room 15, i'm really busy....Me>> Ok...AHHH ****!....that's just wrong.

You see the thing is I have spent alot of my time in health care executing the tasks that the less industrious nurses have sought not to do so i have developed theories of the hierarchy of activity involving the care of patients and aside from the fact that the culture at my hospital might be more malignant than some, all the nurses and i share the same fate as a group--we take the order's as they come and do our best to make it through the shift. Not that I don't learn an incredible amount from the good R.N.'s who are actually concerned with physiological cause and effect, it's just that in the end you can do it by the numbers and not be considered the worse.
--Ben

Okay, okay.....lets not make this a B#@$# fest....This was started to offer simple guidance to those in the nursing field or prenursing field that were/are interested in going to medical school....Let it be known that anything said here is not intended to offend the nurses of the world as they are an essential part of the healthcare system....there is also nothing wrong with individuals seeking higher knowledge and progressing on to additional responsibility...NP/PA is another excellent career choice with its own innate limitations, but they too are also an essential part of the team.....we must all work together...support each other..... So, please....like my mother always said....if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.....

M-

billydoc said:
Hi Nursek06!
You've got some great advices already. I am a nurse too (have been for 15 yrs). I have already been accepted to many med schools, which are considered to be good, and are very well known to U.S and Canada. I'm older, and did not want to wait for MCAT results(I've never taken one). I do not recomend you take a shortcut like this. For my personal reasons (all I want to do is Family Medicine) Carib school will get me there. Please stay in school,get your nursing degree,and I will advice you to take NCLEX and to get licensed. This way you will always have a back up, and not just a set of worthless undegrad credits. Besides, being a nurse should definitely help you to get to MD/DO school. Take some other prereqs, MCAT and you'll be set. Have no fear of not getting into med school. If some weird reason you can't get in U.S/Canada school than the Caribbean is always a viable option. Focus, and get it done.

Good Luck
Have you accepted Carribean medical school? I'm looking at UHS Antigua Medical School...any ideas? GPA upon completion of Masters was 3.78. Your advise to stay in school was the best.

nurse2md said:
Have you accepted Carribean medical school? I'm looking at UHS Antigua Medical School...any ideas? GPA upon completion of Masters was 3.78. Your advise to stay in school was the best.
Hey nurse2md!
First let me give you a link for FMG info:www.valuemd.com
Yes, I was accepted to ROSS, SABA, and SMU.
If you want to take the Carib route I'd go with some schools which have a track record. I don't think UHSC, or another one AUA in Antingua are that.
Go with SGU, ROSS, SABA, AUC. SMU is also pretty good option if you don't care about practicing in California, VT, and Tx (not approved in those).SMU is actually making huge advances forward, and they will be Cali approved soon. Out of all Carib schools they ate located on the nicest Grand Cayman, just one hour flight fro FL,lol. But I went with ROSS,did 2 semesters, and realized that I don't have the stamina, personal health, and the committement to keep my life in suspense for so long. Great experience though.

Good Luck Buddy :D

I would say stick with the BSN. I had to reapply before getting in, and trying to find work with some random degree really sucks. People shot at me in my first job, which is no fun, particularly when you're being paid $25,000 a year for it.

If I could do it all over again, I would have started at a tech school. I would have done an ADN and completed my gen ed there, then transferred to a univ to do my pre-reqs and complete a BA in Philosophy and Chinese, or in Physics.

I really wish I would have treated med school more as a "side quest" than my primary goal, because my life in between would have been a lot better. If you focus only on med school and that doesn't happen, then you're left with nothing -- except being shot at.

JKD

first, yes, i'm a doc. i'm not a pre-anything any more. i've also sat on adcoms both for medschool and residency.

i've read this thread and am so moved i thought i'd share a few thoughts...plus, this will make a nice distraction from what i really should be doing. i'm so tired.

first, for ALL premeds, remember that it's your responsibility (a seldom used word these days) to educate yourself to the best of your abilities. the field you are choosing is one with the ULTIMATE in responsibilities: another person's life. as a doc, when push comes to shove, you'll be the one that another human being is looking towards for help. for the cynics out there, you'll also be target number one for our friends in the legal profession.

remember also that you will spend A LOT of time EARNING that responsibility; it's not one given on a whim. take it seriously.

that being said, i want to support two things earlier posters said. first, you ABSOLUTELY should strengthen your science background as much as possible. this means take cell bio as suggested and consider taking other advanced bio and chem courses as well. i know, half the people reading this will snark at my suggestion. ok, sure, you can skip that stuff, make it through med school and become a doc. so why blow the extra time and money and risk the gpa? i remind you, the med school prereqs represent the BARE minimum of science knowledge require to complete MEDICAL SCHOOL. the prereqs do not address anything beyond that point. and guess what? for the most part the first two years of med school don't either. in my experience, this translates thusly: whatever fundamentals you come in with science wise are what you're stuck with all the way through your training. the med school curriculum, while VAST, VAST, VAST in breadth, is actually not very deep. that's in part because of time (or lack thereof) and in part because it used to be damn near everyone going into medicine came from the sciences. that's not the case any more, maybe for better and maybe for worse.

either way, believe me, the "useless" degrees (undergrad or grad) in bio, genetics, biochem, chem, etc. WILL help you as a student and resident. and, MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, that knowledge will help you as a doc who has to spend a WHOLE LIFE sorting RAPIDLY through the literature to figure out what's best for your patient. the literature doesn't come from the nursing profession btw. (sorry, that's not a dig at nursing, just a statement of fact. for those who care, it doesn't usually come from the engineering or business fields either.)

it is assumed you have a solid, broad science background when you read this stuff. the stronger background you have, the faster you scratch out the wheat from the chaff. hell, if i could have, i would have done a PhD in biochem before starting med school for this one reason alone.

as for blowing time on this stuff, well, if you can't handle that as an undergrad then all i can say is watch out. trust me, do a little extra coursework now and your life will be easier in a few years. your patients will do better too. don't shy away from it and don't fool yourself, there is a difference between what's taught in a college of science and a college of nursing. there's a good reason for this. colleges of nursing teach what's necessary to make decent nurses. colleges of science teach what's necessary to make decent scientists. guess which one you're closer to as a doc?

next long drawn out comment... i really like one of the above posts that essentially says, "if ya wanna be a doctor, then go be a doctor." it's true. med school entry really isn't that hard if you put your mind to it. (some day i'll share my personal story...if i can do it you can...trust me on that.) even if you don't get in the first, second or tenth time, it can be done. and, to paraphrase one of the previous posts, "life DOES happen." if you're really certain you want to be a doc, do all that you can to make that happen NOW. it doesn't get easier as time goes on...your life will eventually intervene. i've seen that SOOOO many time and believe me, most of these people spend many years in misery wishing they had done things differently. sometimes if you really want something, it can actually be motivating knowing that there is no out. believe me, when you realize the size of your debt during school and as a starving resident, this fact (and maybe this fact alone) will be enough to put you through. because if you don't pay up, the "MAN" is going to come and put you in the poor(er) house. and no, if you don't get in, you won't starve. there aren't too many homeless people with bachelors degrees in bio.

finally...long comment number three. this one is directed at the pre-med nursing students in particular and again, not at the nursing profession. i hear (read) over and over how nursing training will leave you SOOOO much better off as an X-year or resident or what-have-you. sorry, it just ain't so at least in my experience. here's what you'll probably be better at:

1. blood draws.
2. starting IVs.
3. scrubbing.
4. navigating the hospital environment.
5. knowing the names of equipment and meds.
6. this is a big maybe...communicating with the patients.

if those "advantages" are enough for you, well, so be it. get the BSN, and please be sure to read paragraph one. for the rest, consider...we have people who do numbers 1 and 2. they are called phlebotomists and, well, nurses. will you do some of each as an X-year? yes. will it be your primary responsibility? no. as for numbers 3-5 well, those come real quick as a med student and resident. that leaves number 6. yes, you will definitely have more patient contact than your typical med student early on. but remember, that contact is something of a different nature. as a doctor you'll be addressing (and patients will be addresssing you) on a very different level than as a nurse. med school doesn't really prepare you for this either actually.

anyway, there are two phrases for what you're really hoping to gain advantage wise from the nursing program. you know...the "i've seen this treated before, i know what it is, i know how to work it, i know how to explain it, etc." stuff. the phrases are "clinical acumen" and "experience". and i'm sorry but a brand new nurse (like a brand new doc) doesn't have either one. they come with time. let me put it this way. give me the cranky, batty old nurse to carry out my orders any day of the week. yes, s/he is cranky and batty but s/he has done this A MILLION TIMES over. s/he really knows what complications to look for and what they present like, can really tell me if i've screwed up, can suggest alternatives, can get things done in short order (if necessary), can meaningfully explain things to the pt and so on. a green nurse? nope...just can't do it. lots of energy and cute to be sure, but experience? no. pulling a few night shifts at the local ER really isn't going to change this much either. sorry to be so harsh.

thus, for those who hope to go straight from BSN to med school, i think you'll find your advantages more or less boil down to the ones i've listed. and those will wear off rather quickly i think. in fact, you may have no advantages at all if you consider the other things i've said in this post.

at long last, one final word about nursing. if you choose to study nursing then good for you, it's a great profession. but do your fellow nurses and docs a favor: don't do it half-assed. because it's a tough profession too and to be a good one requires dedication just like pursuing med school (and becoming a good doc) requires dedication. so, spend some time learning your craft. if later on, you KNOW it isn't for you (and medicine really IS for you), then get your life in order, re-learn the fundamentals and go to med school.

lecture over. anybody still awake?
-drgiggles

DRGIGGLES said:
first, yes, i'm a doc. i'm not a pre-anything any more. i've also sat on adcoms both for medschool and residency.

i've read this thread and am so moved i thought i'd share a few thoughts...plus, this will make a nice distraction from what i really should be doing. i'm so tired.

first, for ALL premeds, remember that it's your responsibility (a seldom used word these days) to educate yourself to the best of your abilities. the field you are choosing is one with the ULTIMATE in responsibilities: another person's life. as a doc, when push comes to shove, you'll be the one that another human being is looking towards for help. for the cynics out there, you'll also be target number one for our friends in the legal profession.

remember also that you will spend A LOT of time EARNING that responsibility; it's not one given on a whim. take it seriously.

that being said, i want to support two things earlier posters said. first, you ABSOLUTELY should strengthen your science background as much as possible. this means take cell bio as suggested and consider taking other advanced bio and chem courses as well. i know, half the people reading this will snark at my suggestion. ok, sure, you can skip that stuff, make it through med school and become a doc. so why blow the extra time and money and risk the gpa? i remind you, the med school prereqs represent the BARE minimum of science knowledge require to complete MEDICAL SCHOOL. the prereqs do not address anything beyond that point. and guess what? for the most part the first two years of med school don't either. in my experience, this translates thusly: whatever fundamentals you come in with science wise are what you're stuck with all the way through your training. the med school curriculum, while VAST, VAST, VAST in breadth, is actually not very deep. that's in part because of time (or lack thereof) and in part because it used to be damn near everyone going into medicine came from the sciences. that's not the case any more, maybe for better and maybe for worse.

either way, believe me, the "useless" degrees (undergrad or grad) in bio, genetics, biochem, chem, etc. WILL help you as a student and resident. and, MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, that knowledge will help you as a doc who has to spend a WHOLE LIFE sorting RAPIDLY through the literature to figure out what's best for your patient. the literature doesn't come from the nursing profession btw. (sorry, that's not a dig at nursing, just a statement of fact. for those who care, it doesn't usually come from the engineering or business fields either.)

it is assumed you have a solid, broad science background when you read this stuff. the stronger background you have, the faster you scratch out the wheat from the chaff. hell, if i could have, i would have done a PhD in biochem before starting med school for this one reason alone.

as for blowing time on this stuff, well, if you can't handle that as an undergrad then all i can say is watch out. trust me, do a little extra coursework now and your life will be easier in a few years. your patients will do better too. don't shy away from it and don't fool yourself, there is a difference between what's taught in a college of science and a college of nursing. there's a good reason for this. colleges of nursing teach what's necessary to make decent nurses. colleges of science teach what's necessary to make decent scientists. guess which one you're closer to as a doc?

next long drawn out comment... i really like one of the above posts that essentially says, "if ya wanna be a doctor, then go be a doctor." it's true. med school entry really isn't that hard if you put your mind to it. (some day i'll share my personal story...if i can do it you can...trust me on that.) even if you don't get in the first, second or tenth time, it can be done. and, to paraphrase one of the previous posts, "life DOES happen." if you're really certain you want to be a doc, do all that you can to make that happen NOW. it doesn't get easier as time goes on...your life will eventually intervene. i've seen that SOOOO many time and believe me, most of these people spend many years in misery wishing they had done things differently. sometimes if you really want something, it can actually be motivating knowing that there is no out. believe me, when you realize the size of your debt during school and as a starving resident, this fact (and maybe this fact alone) will be enough to put you through. because if you don't pay up, the "MAN" is going to come and put you in the poor(er) house. and no, if you don't get in, you won't starve. there aren't too many homeless people with bachelors degrees in bio.

finally...long comment number three. this one is directed at the pre-med nursing students in particular and again, not at the nursing profession. i hear (read) over and over how nursing training will leave you SOOOO much better off as an X-year or resident or what-have-you. sorry, it just ain't so at least in my experience. here's what you'll probably be better at:

1. blood draws.
2. starting IVs.
3. scrubbing.
4. navigating the hospital environment.
5. knowing the names of equipment and meds.
6. this is a big maybe...communicating with the patients.

if those "advantages" are enough for you, well, so be it. get the BSN, and please be sure to read paragraph one. for the rest, consider...we have people who do numbers 1 and 2. they are called phlebotomists and, well, nurses. will you do some of each as an X-year? yes. will it be your primary responsibility? no. as for numbers 3-5 well, those come real quick as a med student and resident. that leaves number 6. yes, you will definitely have more patient contact than your typical med student early on. but remember, that contact is something of a different nature. as a doctor you'll be addressing (and patients will be addresssing you) on a very different level than as a nurse. med school doesn't really prepare you for this either actually.

anyway, there are two phrases for what you're really hoping to gain advantage wise from the nursing program. you know...the "i've seen this treated before, i know what it is, i know how to work it, i know how to explain it, etc." stuff. the phrases are "clinical acumen" and "experience". and i'm sorry but a brand new nurse (like a brand new doc) doesn't have either one. they come with time. let me put it this way. give me the cranky, batty old nurse to carry out my orders any day of the week. yes, s/he is cranky and batty but s/he has done this A MILLION TIMES over. s/he really knows what complications to look for and what they present like, can really tell me if i've screwed up, can suggest alternatives, can get things done in short order (if necessary), can meaningfully explain things to the pt and so on. a green nurse? nope...just can't do it. lots of energy and cute to be sure, but experience? no. pulling a few night shifts at the local ER really isn't going to change this much either. sorry to be so harsh.

thus, for those who hope to go straight from BSN to med school, i think you'll find your advantages more or less boil down to the ones i've listed. and those will wear off rather quickly i think. in fact, you may have no advantages at all if you consider the other things i've said in this post.

at long last, one final word about nursing. if you choose to study nursing then good for you, it's a great profession. but do your fellow nurses and docs a favor: don't do it half-assed. because it's a tough profession too and to be a good one requires dedication just like pursuing med school (and becoming a good doc) requires dedication. so, spend some time learning your craft. if later on, you KNOW it isn't for you (and medicine really IS for you), then get your life in order, re-learn the fundamentals and go to med school.

lecture over. anybody still awake?
-drgiggles
Hey Dr giggles

As a former paramedic, now flight RN i want to say you are totally on point. Now doing my pre reqs for med school and planning to write the MCAT next year I have some insight.

1) Dont waste your time going to nursing school if you will then go right to med school, it will be wasted time.

2) Unless your a nurse with experience in critical care (ER/ICU) little will be helpful in your clinical years/residency.

3) I would estimate that during the didactic years of med school my experience in nursing will only help me with a few classes. Nurses are NOT physicians, and the basic stuff taught in nursing school scratches the surface of physician level education. My advantage will come from my own personal interest in learning.

4) Please, do not insult the Nursing profession by using it as an "undergrad" for med school. You are taking up a spot for someone who really wants to be an RN. Its an awesome profession, im only leaving because i want to "know what i dont know" and be the person with the responsibility. A Types in nursing typically end up as physicians or, if their personal circumstances cannot accomadate, then NP's PA's.

5)As for the extra science classes. I dont know. If your GPA would suffer horribly i am not sure its worth it since that may end your med school admissions process. Ill be honest, i havent met a seasoned physician yet in 10 years who felt any of the classes pre med were useful for anything except biology.

Anyway. Admissions is a game. Play the game. get your required pre reqs, do as well as possible and write the MCAT. I am a firm believer that how good of a physician you will be is already determined by your personality, not your marks in pre med or the MCAT. Unfortunately, this is the only way for admissions to weed canidates under such large numerbs of applicants.

Good luck all!

DR. Giggles
DRGIGGLES said:
Hmmm... Interesting commments. It's nice to get another perspective of things. I would be interested in hearing how you got in (to medschool ) since you mentionned there is a way if we really want it and I know I do (applying this year). So perhaps some day, when you have time in the near future hopefully , you can share your experience. :)

I can see the point made by Dr. Giggles, I however, would like to offer a varied perspective.... Nursing is a difficult profession indeed, and like doctors, there are the perpetual dingalings that manage to make it through and actually have patient contact....but there are also the other individuals (like myself) that are passionate about medicine and utilize the nursing career to both better the patients and health care field with evidence driven medicine (and yes nurses do research.... otherwise why would you have an N.D. right....that is doctor of nursing for those that aren't aware). I, like many of my colleagues invested a substantial amount of time preparing to do our jobs better...now like I said, not all nurses are like that...but of those that did, staying put in the field is usually not the norm....ie NP, CRNA, MSN, PA-C, or medical school in my case. So I say again, there is nothing wrong with getting your BSN, I do however agree with Dr. G in going for the more difficult classes....my BSN was a second degree on top of my premed emphasis bio degree....the extra classes definitely make a difference. As always, it is the individual desire that makes an individual succeed, not what the masses say. Everyone that makes it to medical school has a story...some are shorter then others, but they all end with...and then I was an MS1. So do what you want..... My class has Nurses, Paramedics, lab tech's, a couple master prepared peep's, an epidemiologist....and a wad of other individuals thrown in for good flavor..... Like Dr. G said....if you want to be a Doctor....keep working towards that, the sights in between will only make you a better person.

Good post DRGIGGLES. You're right on the money and I agree with most of your points.