This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontbetachy90

Reaction score
I know this sounds strange, but I have been a practicing RN-BSN in critical care cardiology for almost 4 years now. When I first started my undergrad, I was going the pre-med/pre-optometry route with a focus in biology. At that time I was 17 years old and sort of at a loss for what to with my life, but my own optometrist had been such a positive influence I was sure that was the path I wanted to take. I completed 3 years of prerequisites before changing my major to nursing with hopes of accruing less debt and starting a career sooner. Now, older and (maybe) a tiny bit wiser, and completely fed up with the nonsense that is bedside nursing, I am interested in going back to school. Has anyone experienced something similar? My nursing program was difficult, though I graduated with honors with ease, and I am worried I will find I am no more cut out for med/optometry school than I was 7 years ago. Advice/recommendations/ideas appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this sounds strange, but I have been a practicing RN-BSN in critical care cardiology for almost 4 years now. When I first started my undergrad, I was going the pre-med/pre-optometry route with a focus in biology. At that time I was 17 years old and sort of at a loss for what to with my life, but my own optometrist had been such a positive influence I was sure that was the path I wanted to take. I completed 3 years of prerequisites before changing my major to nursing with hopes of accruing less debt and starting a career sooner. Now, older and (maybe) a tiny bit wiser, and completely fed up with the nonsense that is bedside nursing, I am interested in going back to school. Has anyone experienced something similar? My nursing program was difficult, though I graduated with honors with ease, and I am worried I will find I am no more cut out for med/optometry school than I was 7 years ago. Advice/recommendations/ideas appreciated!!
I would research what all you need to complete in order to apply. Make sure you have taken all the required courses, hours etc. If you know your passion is in optometry I say go for it. Call the schools you're interested in to help see what you're missing. I know that schools do like non-traditional students (shows maturity etc). Once you've gotten an idea of what requirements you need to meet and know it's doable start prepping for the OAT. Make sure you have a competitive GPA (~3.4) and OAT score (320+). Other than that start shadowing and volunteering to strengthen your application.

Optometry school isn't a walk in the park but since you've graduated with honors in nursing I think you'll be fine.

I had 2 nurses in my opt school class. They had some definite advantages:
-Familiar with med terms, insurance, and clinical situations.
-Both worked a night/weekend shift or 2 to finance their way thru school
-Very employable (especially to ophthalmologists).

Last edited:
I am considering the same path possibly. I am between MD/DO/Opt/Dental

Dental and optometry appeal to me because of the simplicity of insurance by comparison and schedule