Bsn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emsa5804

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard medical school don't give a crap what your undergrad is in just as long as you have the prereq's done... With I struggling GPA should I change my undergrad major to nursing so I have a viable alternative if I can't get into med school? How will medical schools look at a person with a BSN? The reason I'm looking toward nursing is I can always go to NP school or maybe even CRNA school after my BSN... Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad.

emsa5804 said:
I've heard medical school don't give a crap what your undergrad is in just as long as you have the prereq's done... With I struggling GPA should I change my undergrad major to nursing so I have a viable alternative if I can't get into med school? How will medical schools look at a person with a BSN? The reason I'm looking toward nursing is I can always go to NP school or maybe even CRNA school after my BSN... Just a thought...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :eek: :eek:

There are a variety of reasons why this is a bad idea.

Number one, nursing majors who apply to medical school have the lowest percentage of acceptance of any major.

Number two, there is a dire shortage of nursing instructors in this country which means there is a dire shortage of spots for nursing students. This means that these spots are very competitive at the BSN level. Funny but true, you need a higher GPA to be considered by many nursing programs than you do for many medical schools (this is, of course, balanced by the fact that the required coursework is easier; however, if your GPA has already suffered this is of little help to you).

Number three, nursing is not a back up career for premeds who couldn't hack it (sorry for the bluntness but this is true). It is a career in its own right and to look at it otherwise is frankly disrespectful, IMHO.

If you are certain you want to be a physician, then do what it takes to get into medical school (post-bacc, master's, what have you). If you aren't sure that you want to be a physician, then explore the other health care fields and decide which, if any, you want to pursue. If you need to take some time off to make your decision, then do so.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth,

DarkSide, RN, MD2B