BU Housing/Roommates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorGrad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I decided to move to Boston to attend BU's MAMS Program. I would like to rent an apartment, and it would be much more financially feasible with another female roommate(s). We can go over specifics, but let me know if anyone is interested or in the same situation! Or...if you have found affordable housing, please share the location/details.

Members don't see this ad.

Same situation here.

Although I don't know if it would be better to live with students in the program or other professional students from Boston. I haven't received any housing information yet b/c I just sent my check in this week. So what area is good to live in to be near BUMC? And what seems to be an affordable range? $500-700/month for rent?

I too am looking for a place. I need to find a place before Aug. 5th though. Anyone need a roomate or plan on renting where there are more rooms available..

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in on the need a roomie situation, i'm a guy though but i don't mind living with girls... btw, i'm in boston now looking for a place but having little luck

ATN19 said:
Same situation here.

Although I don't know if it would be better to live with students in the program or other professional students from Boston. I haven't received any housing information yet b/c I just sent my check in this week. So what area is good to live in to be near BUMC? And what seems to be an affordable range? $500-700/month for rent?

I'm hopefully going to Boston in 2 weeks to look at some places...$500-$700 is doable with a roommate, but I haven't seen anything (studio, 1bed) that cheap. Is anyone else going to be in the area around the same time?

Also, there are some graduate dorms, but I don't know if we are allowed to live there...do you guys know anything about that?

When I talked to Laurie today with off-campus housing, she told me that there are no official graduate dorms. But there are buildings that are apts managed by BU. Something like that .. Harrison Courts is right by BUMC but it's all booked, unless you're looking for a roommate. Then, I think there are still some available units. And there are some buildings at the Charles River campus on Commonwealth Ave that are BU-managed. That's all I know.

I am going to be a second-year in the GMS program. I've been living in one of the graduate dorm buildings. It is on the Charles River campus, so you have to take the shuttle to get to the med school campus, but that's easy. I know two other GMS people living in this building, and I think there are several empty apartments available. For example, Apt. #606 is open since my friend just vacated it. If you are interested, contact or visit this place and ask for 14 Buswell Street:

Office of Rental Property Management
19 Deerfield Street
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 353-4101

I live in a studio, fully-furnished, and I pay $1075 per month, utilities included. That's about as affordable as your going to get with rates in Boston. It's not the best building--like the call box doesn't work and the elevator trips up every once in a while--but still worth a look. It is also very close to Kenmore Square, Coolidge Corner, and other more "exciting" areas than South End. Good luck apartment shopping!

TekkenDanser said:
I am going to be a second-year in the GMS program. I've been living in one of the graduate dorm buildings. It is on the Charles River campus, so you have to take the shuttle to get to the med school campus, but that's easy. I know two other GMS people living in this building, and I think there are several empty apartments available. For example, Apt. #606 is open since my friend just vacated it. If you are interested, contact or visit this place and ask for 14 Buswell Street:

19 Deerfield Street
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 353-4101

I live in a studio, fully-furnished, and I pay $1075 per month, utilities included. That's about as affordable as your going to get with rates in Boston. It's not the best building--like the call box doesn't work and the elevator trips up every once in a while--but still worth a look. It is also very close to Kenmore Square, Coolidge Corner, and other more "exciting" areas than South End. Good luck apartment shopping!

Thanks, I'll check into that...on a side not, since you are in the program: Were there any problems with how large the GMS program is? As in finding seats in class, etc...I know BU has been increasing the class size.

while looking for a place in boston i got my first ever ticket. for running a red light, it was a total accident, i was looking at my directions and didn't see the light, it was a bonehead move and i needed a place to vent... sorry, this is nothing relevant to the thread, other than roxbury bites :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey guys,

Did anyone find any apartments? Does anyone want to get a larger apartment (2,3,4 bedroom) and split the rent? Let me know...

Any luck lately, guys?

I'm still looking .. but I get lazy and quit some days. I wouldn't mind having a roommate from the program and sharing a larger problem (cheaper rent). PM me.

ATN19 said:
Any luck lately, guys?

I'm still looking .. but I get lazy and quit some days. I wouldn't mind having a roommate from the program and sharing a larger problem (cheaper rent). PM me.

Hey attn,

i too will be attending in the fall; what housing have you found so far? any good deals on a 3- or 4-person appt? maybe we could team up and get one with some other people

let me know what you find :)

ATN19 said:
Any luck lately, guys?

Hey attn,

i too will be attending in the fall; what housing have you found so far? any good deals on a 3- or 4-person appt? maybe we could team up and get one with some other people

let me know what you find :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone:

I posted this awhile back in another thread but thought it might be helpful to you:

My advice, you don't want to live too near to BUMC. It's not in the best area. You could live very close by in the South End but the rents are extremely pricey. We're talking around $1800-$2500 for a one bedroom. What I've been recommending to everyone moving to Boston to go to BUMC is the Coolidge Corner, Brookline Village area and the area around BU's undergrad campus. Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village are very nice areas just outside the city. In my opinion, they have all the benefits of the city with few of the problems. They are very clean, safe and have lots of unique stores, restuarants and coffeshops as well as a great indie movie theater. Rent here for a studio are around $900 or $1000 and for a one bedroom between $1100 and $1600. There is a shuttle that goes from BU's main campus near Brookline, about a 10-15 minute walk from Coolidge Corner, that will bring you to the Medical School in about 30 minutes. These areas are also about a 45 minute commute via train to BUMC. One thing about BUMC is that there is really no direct way to get to the campus from public transportation, you will inevitably have to transfer, which is what makes the commute so long. The shuttle is really the best option. Check it out at www.bu.edu/thebus. Another option is to live out in Cambridge by Porter Square, Davis Square, Kendall Square, etc. These are not as nice as Brookline, but still decent and entirely liveable. You would commute into BUMC on the 1 bus which runs up and down Mass Ave. Check out boston.craigslist.org for listings.

I have a studio in Coolidge Corner and pay $1025 heat/hot water included, gas and electricity extra. I consider it a pretty good deal.

PM me if you like for more info on Boston/ BU.

I just wanted to comment that this would be a good idea as well. The office of rental property buildings are all pretty nice and in a very good area, especially the buswell street property that was mentioned. you probably can find a place a little bit cheaper on your own, but you can be assured that you are getting a decent place if you go with BU. Ask for South Campus properties as they tend to be the nicest/quietest/cleanest. I had a friend who lived in one of these and she was always very pleased with the quality of the place.

TekkenDanser said:

19 Deerfield Street
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 353-4101

hey, i finally found a place. I had to use a realty broker which i was hesitant to do because I didn't wanna pay a fee (one month's rent usually). But it turned out to be a good deal, i found a split (2 bedrooms, no living room) 4 blocks from the med school (in the south end) for $1395. My roomate and I had to pay half the realtor's fee ($350 each) but I really like my place and even with the extra $350, it still turned ouut to be cheaper than most of the places I was looking for. If you're having trouble finding a place, I think this is a pretty good idea.

Hi, i was just accepted into the post-baccalaureate premed program, I'm from CT so will be looking for a place to live. Anyone have any ideas and/or looking for a roommate? thanks

Jazzinax said:
Hi, i was just accepted into the post-baccalaureate premed program, I'm from CT so will be looking for a place to live. Anyone have any ideas and/or looking for a roommate? thanks

Hey, I'm in Boston right now looking for places. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested in sharing a 2,3 Bedroom. I'll check the prices, and if I find nice studios, then maybe we can all be neighbors :)

GatorGrad said:
Hey, I'm in Boston right now looking for places. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested in sharing a 2,3 Bedroom. I'll check the prices, and if I find nice studios, then maybe we can all be neighbors :)

Im also here looking for a pad. I'd share a 2 or 3 bedroom as well. My email is [email protected] or just call me if you got a place and need a roomate...ASAP,,,i cant stay at a hotel forever.$$$$$$$$.

915-861-8259

anyone still looking for housing? i'm looking to share a 2BR with another female. PLEASE pm me asap.

thanks

Hey everyone,

I'm a 28 year old guy heading out to Boston on Aug 30. I am looking for some cheap accomodation near the school. Let me know if you find anything and need a roomate - [email protected]

Later

Anyone else in the oral health concentration? Im curious as to how many of us there are and if you too are having $ problems. Maybe we could all meet.

Arturo
[email protected]