BU MA in Medial Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ygreenst

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd try asking again, cause I'm really interested in this program and in goign to med school in Boston. So, has anyone attended the BU MA in Medical Science program? Or is planning to go? If you did go, please let me know what you thought and if it was worth it. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you can also check out the post-bac forum. there are a lot of threads about special masters programs in there.

Yeah, I am a former BU GMS'er ("GMS" as the program is affectionately called). I will be an official alumnus of the program in a couple weeks :)

All in all, I'm definitely glad I did the program as I feel much more prepared for medical school, learned a hell of a lot, and made some awesome friends. It's definitely not for the weak, though, so be prepared to hit the ground running - they don't mess around. It is possible to complete the program in 12 months, but it is not an easy task by any stretch. Although a few people apply to med school as they are starting the program, most wait until they have the year of grades before applying (and work on their thesis in the meantime). As for getting into BU med, they want you to have a 3.5 in the program and a 30 MCAT. Not to say that you can't get in with a 3.3-3.4, just that a 3.5 is what BU likes to see. As long as you have above a 2.5 undergrad GPA and bust your @$$ for a year and do well in the program, you will likely get some interviews and land a spot in med school somewhere (with a solid showing on the MCAT).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious as to how many people apply to this program and are accepted each year. How many people do they take in a year? Did you type that right? 2.5 is the bare minimum GPA? How many courses per semester for 1 yr program or 2 yr program? Are all the courses held at their medical campus?

I'd like to refer anyone interested in BU to my thread in the postbacc forum titled, "Boston University MA medical science." As for blankguy's questions. There are currently 140 people in the program. You must complete 32 credit hours. 24 must be actual classes, 8 can be research.
A typical 1 year schedule is:
Fall semester:
Medical Histology 6 cr
Biochemistry 6 cr
biostatistics 2cr

Spring Semester:
physiology 6cr
endocrinology 4cr
immunology 2cr

All classes are at the BU medical campus.

blankguy said:
I am curious as to how many people apply to this program and are accepted each year. How many people do they take in a year? Did you type that right? 2.5 is the bare minimum GPA? How many courses per semester for 1 yr program or 2 yr program? Are all the courses held at their medical campus?

I started the program in Fall 2002 and I believe there were about 100 students in my class (though I heard that there were even more in the class that started last fall). Supposedly, they get around 400 applications per year. I don't believe that they have a minimum GPA requirement, just that getting into a US allopathic medical school with less than a 2.5 would be a difficult thing to accomplish regardless of what was done to make up for it, and BU recognizes that. For instance, a friend of mine in the program had a 2.3 undergrad GPA, but a 33 MCAT. He is also in the top five percent of our GMS class. The only medical school that he interviewed at was BU, though he may have had more interviews had it not been for his late applications. But I know several people with sub-3.0 GPA's who do well in the program and are admitted to medical school.

All of the courses are held at the medical campus, and there is much flexibility with regards to how many courses you want to take, the type of courses you want to take, if you want to do research, etc. You can go part-time if you want, but the great majority do it full-time. There are some required courses (e.g., biochemistry, physiology, biostatistics, etc.) and several electives, including histology, immunology, endocrinology, neuroscience, and introductory courses in pharmacology and pathology. Generally speaking, you will take about eight or nine classes, half of which will be alongside the first-year medical students. There is also a thesis requirement, and you can choose to do a laboratory thesis or a library thesis.