BU MA in Medical Sciences Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slackin60

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have recently been accepted to the MA in Medical Scieces program at Boston University. I was just going over potential class schedule options and I saw that they offer Gross Anatomy in the summer. Has anyone taken it?

I am sure that an A in that class would look amazing when applying to med school and I would just like to hear anyone's thought on it.

Members don't see this ad.

let me know if you find out anything, but it seems like we wont be able to take that course. I've called a few times asking the same question so I think they're getting annoyed with me.

Unless things have changed since I was in the program, I am pretty sure you can take summer gross anatomy. However, I wouldn't recommend taking accelerated anatomy or histology as your very first class - they're brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fusion said:
Unless things have changed since I was in the program, I am pretty sure you can take summer gross anatomy. However, I wouldn't recommend taking accelerated anatomy or histology as your very first class - they're brutal.

What do you suggest as the best first semester group of classes to take? (unless they automatically place you in classes, and you have no choice)

For anyone that has completed the program? about how much debt did you incur? Cost is a big factor for me so I am curious. Also, will completing the program in one calender year ( while still intending on waiting two years before med school) save on tuition?

Thanks a lot!

Since this thread hasnt been touched in a while, I figure Ill keep it going...

The tuition is 28550$ for the year ( so i guess any debt would be of "equal or lesser value")

Also, I'm wondering if there's any informationo available regarding certain courses within the MA program that particularly stand out (positively and negatively) in anyones mind.

I've heard endo is great, and intro to pharm is a good class. Correct me, or expand....

Histology is not an official requirement, but since everyone else takes histology (and will be competing with you for spots in BU's class), it's smart to take it. I personally opted not to take Pharmacology.

My courseload (full year) was:

Biochemistry (required) - adcom taught
Physiology (required) - adcom taught
Histology - adcom taught
Endocrinology - loved this class
Immunology - not such a favorite
Biostatistics - should be easy A
Genetics and Genomics (optional)

It's important to do well in all the classes since GPA is of the utmost importance, but the "biggies" are Biochem, Physiology, and Histology since the professors teaching those classes are also on the admissions committee.

lightnk102 said:
Histology is not an official requirement, but since everyone else takes histology (and will be competing with you for spots in BU's class), it's smart to take it. I personally opted not to take Pharmacology.

My courseload (full year) was:

Biochemistry (required) - adcom taught
Physiology (required) - adcom taught
Histology - adcom taught
Endocrinology - loved this class
Immunology - not such a favorite
Biostatistics - should be easy A
Genetics and Genomics (optional)

It's important to do well in all the classes since GPA is of the utmost importance, but the "biggies" are Biochem, Physiology, and Histology since the professors teaching those classes are also on the admissions committee.

Sweet info! can you do one more thing.. split those up into which semester you took them??? aside from histo, and immuno, ive taken the rest of those subjects in undergrad (biochem, physio, endo, genetics, stats) PS endo rocks!

I completed the GMS program summer of 2004. My course set up was as follows:

Fall: Biochem, Histo, Intro to Pharmacology
Spring: Physiology, Pathology, Endocrinology, Immunology
Summer: Library thesis work

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say don't worry about Intro to Pharm. The course is ok, but wasn't taught overly well, there are many better options that Pharm. At least that's what I heard from other classmates. Just to let ya'll know, I completed the program in 1 year and incurred a debt of around $50,000 for tuition and living expenses. I must say despite the cost the program was well worth it. I'm finishing up my 1st year of medical school right now and the coursework from BU prepared me extremely well. It is really important to do well early. Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] or a PM.

i was in gms from 2003-2004.

fall: biochem, physiology (first half), genetics/genomics
spring: histology, physiology (second half), biostatistics
June: endocrinology, immunology

endo and immuno are taught in their own one-month block during the "second half" of spring semester.

note that my physiology was the year-long version (not with the med students) and histology was also spring semester (also not with the med students). people tend to make a huge fuss about sitting directly next to the med students for the classes. for what its worth, i don't think it's affected my application process at all as i got into 4 allo schools (including BU). i applied after my gms classes were over, and will be matriculating this fall (don't know where yet).

i hadn't ever taken the mcat until august after gms. the gms curriculum practically guarantees that you'll kick ass on the biology section.

elonDO said:
I completed the GMS program summer of 2004. My course set up was as follows:

Fall: Biochem, Histo, Intro to Pharmacology
Spring: Physiology, Pathology, Endocrinology, Immunology
Summer: Library thesis work

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say don't worry about Intro to Pharm. The course is ok, but wasn't taught overly well, there are many better options that Pharm. At least that's what I heard from other classmates. Just to let ya'll know, I completed the program in 1 year and incurred a debt of around $50,000 for tuition and living expenses. I must say despite the cost the program was well worth it. I'm finishing up my 1st year of medical school right now and the coursework from BU prepared me extremely well. It is really important to do well early. Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] or a PM.

Thank info rocks!

Same with you lightnk102....

Here's a question in reference when to take the MCAT (b/c I need to)
Should I study december-april ( take a light load, or no classes) and study for the MCAT for APRIL?

Should I take a good amount of classes spring semester ( study a lil bit, during spring, and study more so throughout summer) and take it in AUGUST?

Is it possible to do this, and complete the program in a year, or would I need to stay until that next upcoming december to complete classes (which would be duuring the application cycle anyways (post-MCAT)????

Does anyone know when we they register us for classes? It sounds like they pick them for us, but when does this happen?

They'll register you for Biochem (everyone takes it in the fall) and will put you into one of two physiology tracks. You will probably also get automatically registered for histology. Your schedule will come by mail early summer (like June). When you get to school in the fall, you will register for an additional elective class or Biostats (unless you've already taken it). Come fall, if you decide you really want the 2 semester physio and Spring histology, you'll have lots of people who want to switch with you. It's a bit harder to get into histo once school starts. But basically, they assign people on a first come first serve basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other elective courses that are taught by ADCOMS? (difficulty level close to the average elective course preferably Biostatistics)

Is there anyone who has been through the program that can comment on how hard it is to maintain friendships or relationships with people who are not in the program while you are doing it? I have heard from several students that they feel as though the program essentially forces you to "give up a year of a your life". Is this a fair statement or is it just about learning to balance the MA program with your personal life (as most of
us probably learned to do in college)? Any thoughts would be appreciated..

hcn22 said:
Is there anyone who has been through the program that can comment on how hard it is to maintain friendships or relationships with people who are not in the program while you are doing it? I have heard from several students that they feel as though the program essentially forces you to "give up a year of a your life". Is this a fair statement or is it just about learning to balance the MA program with your personal life (as most of
us probably learned to do in college)? Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Excellent question. I did the coursework part of this program in the 2003-2004 academic year. Yes, it requires a lot of studying, and yes, it is harder than college. But you have to remember that you'll have a student's schedule which means lots of free time, and if you use your time effectively, there is plenty of time for a life outside GMS. Basically you just have to keep up with the lectures and do a little bit every day.

I become pretty much nonfunctional academically after 10 PM, so I never pulled an all-nighter or anything like that and still did pretty well. I lived with some friends who were not students and was almost always able to go out for a beer and some nachos on a Thursday, go out on weekends, see a movie on a rainy Saturday, etc. It got a little busier before exams, but all in all, I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.

Feel free to PM me with questions!!

Oh, and on an unrelated topic, Immunology sucks. I highly recommend against taking Immunology. It's 2 credits taken concurrently with Endo, which is 4 credits and about a billion times easier and more interesting. Every other course in this program was really useful and will help a lot when you start medical school, but I honestly don't remember a thing from that god-awful course. I am adopting as my cause to get everyone who is starting this program to be informed about the crappiness of Immunology.

BTT ( hehe.. smirk)... just to keep the thread going

I also did the program in 2003-2004 and it was successful. Seven interviews, 3 accept., 4 waitlists.

I remember when I first began deciding on what program to do, I was worried about all the things you guys are asking now. Yes, you can have a life, first semester is a bit tough, but second semester is much more relaxed. You will meet some great people, and some not so great. Some real tools in program, but that is the nature of med school. It really depends on how you are as a person. If you're a social butterfly, and friendship is important to you, you won't have a problem. I made some great friends in the program and still keep in touch with them.

The main thing is to put all your worries aside. Forget about the amount free time, the competition, what class to take, the money, etc. Everyone pretty much takes the same courses and is in the same boat. The only thing that matters is how you perform in those classes. You have to work hard. Don't let all this lifestyle crap influence your decision. All the main SMP programs (BU, GT, Drexel, Finch) are good. If you do well (>3.6) and have a good MCAT score (30+) you'll get in somewhere - no doubt about it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good Luck!

For those people who have completed the program, I was wondering about the process of applying to med school. Does BU have a premed committee that you apply thorugh? Or are you supposed to apply through your undergrad school? Thanks a lot.

slackin60 said:
For those people who have completed the program, I was wondering about the process of applying to med school. Does BU have a premed committee that you apply thorugh? Or are you supposed to apply through your undergrad school? Thanks a lot.

There may be other ways of doing it, but here's how I did it:

They do write a committee letter for you towards the beginning of second semester. You will fill out an extensive "biosketch" about your life with some essays, etc, and meet with the coordinator, who will use the time to clarify anything on your biosketch and learn about you as a person. That letter will be drafted and sent to medical schools from the BU GMS office.

Additional recommendations (i.e., from your undergrad committee or individual professors) are sent directly to medical schools from your undergrad school without any involvement from the BU GMS office. So basically you have to have letters sent from 2 sources to each medical school you apply. Kind of a pain, but if you're organized, they'll all get there. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have some questions about the BU MA program, first can someone give me the email address for hte director of this program, or someone that I can contact about the program.
Second I was on the BU MA in Medical sCience program and it says that there is no deadline to apply for this program, so is it rolling admission and if I apply now will I be waiting for September entrance.
Third can anyone tell me what the GPA requirements are, also the GRE requirements.
Thanks

P.S. One last question, If you get into the BU MA program and take anatomy and other courses like the med students, do you repeat the same courses if you get into BU for med school, or anywhere else?

whoam said:
I have some questions about the BU MA program, first can someone give me the email address for hte director of this program, or someone that I can contact about the program.
Second I was on the BU MA in Medical sCience program and it says that there is no deadline to apply for this program, so is it rolling admission and if I apply now will I be waiting for September entrance.
Third can anyone tell me what the GPA requirements are, also the GRE requirements.
Thanks

P.S. One last question, If you get into the BU MA program and take anatomy and other courses like the med students, do you repeat the same courses if you get into BU for med school, or anywhere else?

This lady is great! She's willing to answer any question you have...

Natasha Hall
Admissions Assistant
Boston University School of Medicine
Division of Graduate Medical Sciences
Admissions Office
715 Albany Street, Rm. L-315
Boston, MA 02118
Tel: (617) 638-5217
Fax: (617) 638-5740
Email: [email protected]

It is rolling admission, and yes the spots fill up fast, but I've also heard of students getting in a few days before class starts. So I'd get on that ASAP.

I don't believe there is a strict GPA cutoff for the program. GRE scores are expected to be competitive.

Hey everyone. Applied in Jan I haven't heard back anything from the program since they sent me a letter claiming my application was incomplete in feb. :confused: Since I completed my application, i haven't heard a yay :thumbup: or a nay :thumbdown: . I am really anxious and hopeful for the program- tho after realizing that 1 year = 50k debt, i'm a little less eager. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist or do they send outright rejections? I have Low GPA but strong improvement trend, LOW MCAT and many excellent research, medical and leadership experiences.... basically I think i'm borderline acceptance. :scared: :luck:

whoam said:

You do not have to repeat the medical school courses at BU. For other schools, most likely you'll have to. I have not heard of anyone getting credit, since other schools may have different curriculums. As far as anatomy goes, I don't know if the summer course (the only one you can take in GMS) counts for BU. I've heard people say yes/no. I had no need to find out since I never took it, and really there is no reason to take it. Just focus on histo/physio/endo/immuno/biochem. Taking anatomy will not improve your chances of getting in. You'll already have enough med school courses. PM me if you have more questions. Good Luck!!

well, just try to contact them and show that you are really interested in attending BU. emails should be sufficient. Once you get in, then you can decide if 50K debt is worth having for a chance at medical schools!

ctothed said:
Hey everyone. Applied in Jan I haven't heard back anything from the program since they sent me a letter claiming my application was incomplete in feb. :confused: Since I completed my application, i haven't heard a yay :thumbup: or a nay :thumbdown: . I am really anxious and hopeful for the program- tho after realizing that 1 year = 50k debt, i'm a little less eager. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist or do they send outright rejections? I have Low GPA but strong improvement trend, LOW MCAT and many excellent research, medical and leadership experiences.... basically I think i'm borderline acceptance. :scared: :luck:

Just a thought - people who get in and go through the program AND not get accepted into a med program - what do they do? Where are they now?

wannabedoc34 said:
Just a thought - people who get in and go through the program AND not get accepted into a med program - what do they do? Where are they now?

Fortunately this is not the case for most people. I believe 85% of students are accepted into a US allopathic school. However, the rest either go to DO school, the carribbean, and some go on to complete a PhD through BU. Basically your options are the same as they are now. You will most likely be able to land a better job or research with the Master's, but your options are still limited. The program is a risk, but if you work hard and do well, you will be successful. PM me if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!

wannabedoc34 said:

I haven't met anyone in this situation, but Scoop is right, they're in the (very small) minority. I would think they'd be relatively low profile because nobody wants to come onto SDN and be like "Hi! I wasted $50K and two years of my life, and now I am selling umbrellas in Turkmenistan! I have shamed my family and intend to commit ritual suicide shortly! I just wanted everyone to know what a joke those SMPs are!"

If you finish that program, you have to be pretty much committed to a career in healthcare or research and are most likely going to go to a professional school, even if it's not your first choice type of school.

Hey, about 2 weeks ago I applied to that program but with a concentration in oral health sciences. To which concentration did you apply? Also, about how long did it take to get your acceptance and did you have to interview? I am really looking forward to getting in and would appreciate any insight to the process seeing how you are there. :D

ghadiel said:
Hey, about 2 weeks ago I applied to that program but with a concentration in oral health sciences. To which concentration did you apply? Also, about how long did it take to get your acceptance and did you have to interview? I am really looking forward to getting in and would appreciate any insight to the process seeing how you are there. :D

From my recollection you don't have to apply to a concentration. I applied to the MA in MS program. Quoting the webiste, you can direct your elective and thesis to one of three concentrations 1)Mental Health, 2) Clinical Investig. or 3) Medical Nutrition Sci, but you don't apply using that. All you do is check the little black box that says "MA" on the app.

The process is typical. Fill out the paper, or E-app. Send it. Send money. Call to confirm that the app's and the LOR's got there. Call to confirm that your App. file is complete. Continue to send them stuff if your doing current activites, or new ones (I sent in three new ones during the process...may of helped). Still back and wait.

I applied and had my app. complete around Janurary 1st (very early).

No interview (phone or personal).

If your looking forward to getting into BU, then let them know that. Put that feeling in your PS. I'm open about going anywhere (in the US) and let them know that in my PS.

(gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasp) I said all this is one breath of air. :laugh: goodluck!

Question...

In reference when to take the MCAT (b/c I need to)...
Should I study december-april ( take a light load, or no classes) and study for the MCAT for APRIL?

Should I take a good amount of classes spring semester ( study a lil bit, during spring, and study more so throughout summer) and take it in AUGUST?

Is it possible to do this, and complete the program in a year, or would I need to stay until that next upcoming december to complete classes (which would be duuring the application cycle anyways (post-MCAT)????

ShyD33 said:
Question...

In reference when to take the MCAT (b/c I need to)...

If you go the traditional route (EITHER- Histo & Biochem in the fall, physio in the spring- OR split up physio between the 2 semesters with other classes like Pharm filling in for Histo) you should have no trouble fitting MCAT studying into your spring schedule. Spring is relatively light compared to Fall. And there's the added bonus of having the earlier MCAT date.

Remember you have to do a thesis, and if you plan to finish the thesis by the end of the summer, it may get a little hairy time-wise. You'll have to start your thesis while studying for the MCAT and your other classes, which is a scary proposition. Take your time; there's no fire. Many people took at least until the following December to finish. As an example, I took until the following April.

As usual, feel free to PM me with questions :)

AnotherDork said:
If you go the traditional route (EITHER- Histo & Biochem in the fall, physio in the spring- OR split up physio between the 2 semesters with other classes like Pharm filling in for Histo) you should have no trouble fitting MCAT studying into your spring schedule. Spring is relatively light compared to Fall. And there's the added bonus of having the earlier MCAT date.

Remember you have to do a thesis, and if you plan to finish the thesis by the end of the summer, it may get a little hairy time-wise. You'll have to start your thesis while studying for the MCAT and your other classes, which is a scary proposition. Take your time; there's no fire. Many people took at least until the following December to finish. As an example, I took until the following April.

As usual, feel free to PM me with questions :)

The thesis issue really doesnt sound like one to me. I'm just concerned with the classes fall semester (biochem and med histo) and med physio spring semester. Then I could take endo and immuno in june (post MCAT), and start the thesis. There would be no rush thereafter, due to the application cycle taking forever, through that upcoming (2nd) fall semester.

So does this mean I would be taking only one class during spring semester (janurary til april)?

I know of people who took the April MCAT, and also people who took the August. April is definitely do-able.

However, keep in mind the larger goal of the program - to get as high a GPA as possible and as great of an MCAT as possible. Be honest to yourself and make a judgement call when spring comes.

Personally, I opted to take the August MCAT. I decided that risking the possibility of applying with a mediocre GPA and a mediocre MCAT for the sake of being "on time" wasn't worth it. I'd rather have my application arrive a little later but have a stellar GPA and a stellar MCAT.

I tend to do better when I tackle one thing at a time (and I'm risk-averse :) ). But if you're one of those people who can do both in April (and I know of a good number of people who took that route when I was in GMS), kudos to you! Perhaps you can give me some pointers :)

lightnk102 said:
I know of people who took the April MCAT, and also people who took the August. April is definitely do-able.

However, keep in mind the larger goal of the program - to get as high a GPA as possible and as great of an MCAT as possible. Be honest to yourself and make a judgement call when spring comes.

Personally, I opted to take the August MCAT. I decided that risking the possibility of applying with a mediocre GPA and a mediocre MCAT for the sake of being "on time" wasn't worth it. I'd rather have my application arrive a little later but have a stellar GPA and a stellar MCAT.

I tend to do better when I tackle one thing at a time (and I'm risk-averse :) ). But if you're one of those people who can do both in April (and I know of a good number of people who took that route when I was in GMS), kudos to you! Perhaps you can give me some pointers :)

I definitely agree with you. Here's my concern. How few classes need to be taken in the spring and still study for the MCAT (with a prep course, etc) Would I take just one class from Jan-April (med physio in the spring) or more? Is physio good prep for the biological sciences section?

PS- I wouldn't mind taking class all summer, or into the next fall semester (due to it still being within the application cycle)

ShyD33 said:
I definitely agree with you. Here's my concern. How few classes need to be taken in the spring and still study for the MCAT (with a prep course, etc) Would I take just one class from Jan-April (med physio in the spring) or more? Is physio good prep for the biological sciences section?

PS- I wouldn't mind taking class all summer, or into the next fall semester (due to it still being within the application cycle)

It's really up to your own individual situation/capacity. Most people only have 1 or 2 major classes in the spring, but some still opt to take the August MCAT. The individuals I know who took the April MCAT did a juggling act of Kaplan courses and regular courses. Here are a few questions to consider: how recent is your knowledge in chemistry/ochem/physics? Will you need to re-learn these if you're a few years removed? Is it your first time taking the MCAT or are you already familar with the process? Will you be starting a research thesis during the spring as well that will eat up your time?

For those that aren't aware, the advantages of a research thesis are that it's pass/fail/honors. If you receive honors on your thesis, that's 6 credits of 4.0 A's to boost your GPA. Just to give you an idea: Histology is worth 6 credits, as is Physiology and Biochemistry. Receiving Honors on it is just a matter of asking your advisor whether he thinks you deserve honors, and then he signs a piece of paper. A library thesis takes less time (and you dont have to be in a lab, or even in Boston), but it has zero impact on your GPA as its strictly pass/fail. A library thesis is basically an exercise in meeting graduation requirements.

I've been told that if you apply to BU and you do a library thesis, the interviewer will ask you why you opted not to do a research thesis and question your commitment. Then again, my library thesis was never questioned in my BU interiew, though a friend of mine's was.

For the Spring, I only had Histology and the second half of Physiology, and I personally didn't feel comfortable throwing MCAT into the mix. I was also a non-trad student who was a few years removed from the material with a poor undergrad record and I felt I really had to kick ass on the exam (I was aiming for above a 35) for my application to have a chance. That was my reasoning for dedicating the entire summer to the MCAT.

Physiology is a HUGE boon to the biology section, so I'd recommend taking Physio before you take the MCAT.

It's pretty early to be deciding your spring courseload schedule a full-year in advance. It's hard to give you a straight up "yes" or "no" answer because so much of it really is a personal choice. Play it by ear. By the time you have to register for the April MCAT, you'll be halfway through your spring semester anyways, so you'll know what your time constraints look like. You'll be able to easily see whether you have ample space for MCAT studying.

I've decided to go to EVMS over BU because I'm shooting for matriculating into med school in 2006. Would any of you make the same decision? Am I being stupid?

calbear15 said:
I've decided to go to EVMS over BU because I'm shooting for matriculating into med school in 2006. Would any of you make the same decision? Am I being stupid?

Yup, you're absolutely ******ed. :D

On a serious note, if your goal is just to go to medical school, then perhaps it is beneficial for you to do the EVMS route.
However, if you want to give yourself a chance a better shot at a good residency, then maybe BU is better.
I think it really boils down to personal preference; however, I would caution about being in a hurry, in the long run, one more year will probably not be a big deal.

whats a competitive GRE score for this program? I took both the MCATS and GREs, but waiting on the MCATS

I was wondering from aluni of the program if they could name the med schools to which they were admitted or the schools they heard of that others were admitted to.

I am curious to know if the program has been successful in getting their graduates into top tier med schools.

Also, how much help is BU in terms of the admissions process? Do they have a committe that you apply through? Do you have an interview with them? Or do you still need to use your undergrad school's premed committee?

Thanks a lot in advance.

For those of you who did the GMS program and then did the August MCAT, did you feel that getting your scores in later to med schools may have hurt your application? I will be retaking the exam and don't want to do it in April since I want to focus on my classes but am concerned that it may hurt my application to do it in August.. The other alternative would be to do it this summer- but I would prefer to have some time to enjoy myself (while working) and not be studying constantly.. Any thoughts?

Another question.. What other electives do you all recommend besides Biostats? I took Biostats this year so I don't really want to repeat it again. It sounds like Intro. to Pharmacology isn't very popular- so what other choices are there? Thanks so much.

hcn22 said:
For those of you who did the GMS program and then did the August MCAT, did you feel that getting your scores in later to med schools may have hurt your application? I will be retaking the exam and don't want to do it in April since I want to focus on my classes but am concerned that it may hurt my application to do it in August.. The other alternative would be to do it this summer- but I would prefer to have some time to enjoy myself (while working) and not be studying constantly.. Any thoughts?

If anything, it was not getting my AMCAS in early enough (and secondaries) that hurt my application. It is imperative that you do AMCAS and secondaries, many of which come immediately and are independent of when you take the MCAT, as soon as possible.

I mean, I got into 2 schools, so I'm not bitching, but I sent out 24 secondaries, and only got 6 interviews. Finish stuff EARLY!!!

slackin60 said:
I was wondering from aluni of the program if they could name the med schools to which they were admitted or the schools they heard of that others were admitted to.

I am curious to know if the program has been successful in getting their graduates into top tier med schools.

Also, how much help is BU in terms of the admissions process? Do they have a committe that you apply through? Do you have an interview with them? Or do you still need to use your undergrad school's premed committee?

Thanks a lot in advance.

39R, 3.77 in the program (with research credits yet to come).
I got interviews at: Duke, UNC, EVMS, Pitt, SLU, and BU. I was accepted into BU and UNC, waitlisted at EVMS, SLU, and Pitt, and got rejected by Duke. If I get into Pitt, that will certainly qualify as admission into a top tier school. UNC is probably there as well, since it was ranked 20th last year, and is 23rd this year.

No committee at BU. Just Wilcox and Franzblau. Yes there is an interview, but it's rather informal. Yes, you still need to use your undergrad premed committee.

In no particular order, schools that I and people I know from the GMS program have gotten into:

Boston U.
Albany Medical
UC Irvine
Drew/UCLA
Florida State
Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
Drexel
Penn State
Penn Med (MD/PhD)
Case Western
UMass
Virginia Commonwealth

Schools that people have interviewed at (in addition to the schools above, since obviously, if you get in, you have to have interviewed):

Dartmouth
Tufts
Albert Einstein
NYMC
UMDNJ-RWJ
EVMS
Wash U.
SUNY Upstate, Stonybrook, Buffalo
Duke
UMass

This is a pretty small sample size though (maybe about 3 or 4 people I still keep in touch with). You should ask the GMS office. I believe they keep a list of the schools that GMS graduates have gotten into.

lightnk102 said:
In no particular order, schools that I and people I know from the GMS program have gotten into:

Boston U.
Albany Medical
UC Irvine
Drew/UCLA
Florida State
Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
Drexel
Penn State
Penn Med (MD/PhD)
Case Western
UMass
Virginia Commonwealth

Schools that people have interviewed at (in addition to the schools above, since obviously, if you get in, you have to have interviewed):

Dartmouth
Tufts
Albert Einstein
NYMC
UMDNJ-RWJ
EVMS
Wash U.
SUNY Upstate, Stonybrook, Buffalo
Duke
UMass

This is a pretty small sample size though (maybe about 3 or 4 people I still keep in touch with). You should ask the GMS office. I believe they keep a list of the schools that GMS graduates have gotten into.

Adding a few others I've heard about:

Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis U

I just finished my coursework for the BU program and am now just working on my thesis. I'm going to Tulane this fall. We also have people going to Georgetown, BU, MSU, and Pittsburgh. So I'd say it's definitely possible to get into the top tier.

hcn22 said:
Another question.. What other electives do you all recommend besides Biostats? I took Biostats this year so I don't really want to repeat it again. It sounds like Intro. to Pharmacology isn't very popular- so what other choices are there? Thanks so much.

I think one of the best electives you can take advantage of in this program is the opportunity to take a public health course. I found that when I took Intro to Health Services it gave the basic science info I was frantically memorizing a more practical perspective. We discussed the structure of health care in america including hospitals, physicians/nurses/PAs, insurance, patients and the impact each has on the other when accessing and delivering health care. Not only was this extremely interesting and informative but I actually came to understand the profession I was going into a bit more and I found that very helpful on med school interviews (for questions such as the problems in america's health care system today).

slackin60 said:

Thanks a lot in advance.
The list of schools that has been posted is pretty much consistent with everything else that I have heard from people who have finished the program either this year or last year.

I, actually, went through the MA program and did not use my undergraduate institution at all. My undergrad has a pre-med committee but I ended up going through BU for everything and did not experience any problems at all, so it can be done.

As for help with admissions at BU, you maintain the same process as any other applicant (AMCAS, secondaries, etc) but several of the classes are taught by professors who are on the admissions committees so it definitely behooves you to get in nice with them so they have a face to put to a name when they review applications and what not.