BU MA in Medical Sciences Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What books can I buy over the summer to prep for classes?

Lippincott's??

Does anyone know the actual books for certain classes (maybe the med. school classes)???

I'm debating whether to prep for 1) Biochem and 2) Physio.. or other subjects like pharmacology, immuno, or path???

Members don't see this ad.

ShyD33 said:
What books can I buy over the summer to prep for classes?

Lippincott's??

Does anyone know the actual books for certain classes (maybe the med. school classes)???

I'm debating whether to prep for 1) Biochem and 2) Physio.. or other subjects like pharmacology, immuno, or path???

Really, don't bother buying textbooks. The best thing to study from is the syllabus, anyway, which you'll get on the first day of classes. IF you must buy books, just buy review books for now like Lippincott's Biochem, some of the Lange Physio series, etc. I never opened a textbook this year and got straight A's. You really don't need them. If you are going to "prep" this summer (which I don't recommend), then Biochem is your best bet. Don't bother prepping for pharm, path or immuno because you might not end up taking those classes and it will have been a waste of your time. The course of study is extremely manageable; you'll be fine just studying when the term starts. Good luck.

gh said:
whats a competitive GRE score for this program? I took both the MCATS and GREs, but waiting on the MCATS

The website (I believe) says above 70th percentile.

Shoot for a 1300+

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the GMS program at BUMC. You won't want to take anatomy in the summer, as you will have far too many other things going on. Anyways, you'll have the opportunity to cut up cadavers in med school. - Also, it is just a lot of memorization, and there are other classes as impressive as anatomy (histo, biochem, physio, endo, immuno ect) You will be able to take these classes.

since the BU program is two years, do we have to pay two years worth of tuition?

calbear15 said:
since the BU program is two years, do we have to pay two years worth of tuition?

The minimum requirement for graduation is to have been registered in at least 4 semesters. For those looking to pay the bare minimum (as I was), this means be enrolled in the fall and spring semesters of your first year plus two additional semesters which could be either: summer I and summer II, summer II and fall, or fall and spring (of your second year). Which of these you decide to pursue will most likely depend on how you plan to complete your thesis. I needed more time than just the two summer sessions and by enrolling in summer II and fall of my second year I gave myself enough time to complete the paper (barely) without having to pay for an extra (5th) semester. Also, if you aren't taking courses (which I wasn't), you are required to pay only the continuing student fee of around $3K per semester. So if you'd like to see the numbers crunched, this means fall+spring+sumII+fall= 15K+15K+3K+3K= $36K for four semesters.

Hope this helps!

However, one year + summer can also be done! :smuggrin:

cammy1313 said:
The minimum requirement for graduation is to have been registered in at least 4 semesters. For those looking to pay the bare minimum (as I was), this means be enrolled in the fall and spring semesters of your first year plus two additional semesters which could be either: summer I and summer II, summer II and fall, or fall and spring (of your second year). Which of these you decide to pursue will most likely depend on how you plan to complete your thesis. I needed more time than just the two summer sessions and by enrolling in summer II and fall of my second year I gave myself enough time to complete the paper (barely) without having to pay for an extra (5th) semester. Also, if you aren't taking courses (which I wasn't), you are required to pay only the continuing student fee of around $3K per semester. So if you'd like to see the numbers crunched, this means fall+spring+sumII+fall= 15K+15K+3K+3K= $36K for four semesters.

Hope this helps!

I know that there's a thesis requirement at the end of the classes. But do you guys think I could work for a lab in my first year? Would I have time to do a few hours a week, maybe wash some tubes on the weekends?

How much is the tuition at BU? I couldn't find this on their website.

calbear15 said:
I know that there's a thesis requirement at the end of the classes. But do you guys think I could work for a lab in my first year? Would I have time to do a few hours a week, maybe wash some tubes on the weekends?

You could absolutely work in a lab the first year for a few hours a week. It might be difficult trying to find a PI who would pay you to do it, but you could volunteer. You will definitely have time. I'd recommend waiting until the second semester to start though- it's a lighter courseload and you'll know the ropes a little better.

Don't go in ASKING to wash test tubes though. You could get a little project for yourself if you find the right PI. The first day of orientation, you will get a binder which includes a list of faculty members and their research interests. Pick someone from there that interests you and contact him/her. Good luck!

wannabedoc34 said:
However, one year + summer can also be done! :smuggrin:

Right, that's what I was referring to. So to clarify, summer I = summer session I, and summer II = summer session II. This is all one summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
bravotwozero said:
How much is the tuition at BU? I couldn't find this on their website.

Yeah, so anyone care to answer?

AnotherDork said:
You could absolutely work in a lab the first year for a few hours a week. It might be difficult trying to find a PI who would pay you to do it, but you could volunteer. You will definitely have time. I'd recommend waiting until the second semester to start though- it's a lighter courseload and you'll know the ropes a little better.

Don't go in ASKING to wash test tubes though. You could get a little project for yourself if you find the right PI. The first day of orientation, you will get a binder which includes a list of faculty members and their research interests. Pick someone from there that interests you and contact him/her. Good luck!

I would recommend any professor whose class you are performing well in or are enjoying. What I did was go see a professor I trusted and asked for names--I didn't want to do her research, but I told her my interests, and she sent me in the right direction. Most professors would be happy to have free lab help... in our lab, one of the post-docs is actually taking on a couple of undergrads because they're free labor, and we had some high schoolers last summer, one of who ended up attending M.I.T., so it's not hard to find someone to work for, even if you have no experience.

Try to find a professor who actually does research, though... O'Bryan or Vaughan wouldn't necessarily be able to help you because they're not in that world.

I have a new question....

What is the best approach to finding apartments in South End. I plan on living there (very close to campus)

Are there any great Realty Agencies that have lots of rental listings?

(and no, no craigslist, i'm currently cruising there already)

ShyD33 said:
I have a new question....

What is the best approach to finding apartments in South End. I plan on living there (very close to campus)

Are there any great Realty Agencies that have lots of rental listings?

(and no, no craigslist, i'm currently cruising there already)

do you get the e-mail listing from the office of housing resources from BU?

if you do already, this maybe be helpful for others. send an e-mail to [email protected], i believe that's the address and they can add you to their list, an e-mail goes out about once a week showing the available apartment listings in the boston area.

So what about those people who decide to do the lab thesis? That would take the full two years to pull off, right?

If you do the class work the first year, can you work on the research thesis and toward an MPH the second year?

Did anyone do the MPH at BU?

sunnyjohn said:
So what about those people who decide to do the lab thesis? That would take the full two years to pull off, right?

If you do the class work the first year, can you work on the research thesis and toward an MPH the second year?

I know people who did a lab thesis, and got into BU, in one year, but it's tough. Most people who do a lab thesis end up starting somewhere in the middle of the first year to end of the first year and finish anywhere from the middle of second year to the end of second year.

Regarding the MPH, I also know people who did both research and MPH. The MPH classes are mostly at night, so you can work during the day and take class at night. They're not supposed to be very hard, especially when you've had so much "med school" already, so it shouldn't be too bad. All of this really depends on how intense you want your thesis to be, though. I happened to get into an intense lab with a lot of demands, so I didn't have time for any more coursework.

I'm writing my thesis as we speak... hopefully to finish in the next couple of weeks (considering I need to be done by August 1st).

Singing Devil said:
I know people who did a lab thesis, and got into BU, in one year, but it's tough. Most people who do a lab thesis end up starting somewhere in the middle of the first year to end of the first year and finish anywhere from the middle of second year to the end of second year.

Regarding the MPH, I also know people who did both research and MPH. The MPH classes are mostly at night, so you can work during the day and take class at night. They're not supposed to be very hard, especially when you've had so much "med school" already, so it shouldn't be too bad. All of this really depends on how intense you want your thesis to be, though. I happened to get into an intense lab with a lot of demands, so I didn't have time for any more coursework.

I'm writing my thesis as we speak... hopefully to finish in the next couple of weeks (considering I need to be done by August 1st).

Thanks SD.

I have lots to think about.

sunnyjohn said:

Several people I know (myself included) didn't begin their theses until the first year of classes concluded, and then finished them all by the end of the second year (April). These were lab-based theses.

I'm pretty sure your thesis MUST involve the school of public health somehow if you intend to get the dual degree, but I only know 1 person who was doing this. Her thesis was a public health thesis.

Hey guyz,

Well, I applied for MD schools last year and didn't get one interview. So, that's why I've decided to get a Master's. I really only want to spent at most 1 calendar year in the program. So far, I've gotten into BU, Drexel MSP, and UMDNJ. The Drexel MSP is 2 years, so I'm trying to decide between BU and UMDNJ. Anyone else get accepted to both and know why they chose BU over UMDNJ? If so, please write back and help a brotha out. Haha. Can the BU program be completed within a year? I've been reading some of the posts and it seems like you guyz are saying it'll take 2. I don't plan on applying until June of 2006 anyways, so i guess i can go over 1 year, but 1 year would be my ideal limit. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, so that someone can give me a straight up answer. Thanks guys.

John

I've been looking at places around BUMC. Looking at the city, it does not seem as big. What are the consequences of living 6-10 miles away (i.e. Brookline) and driving to campus? 6-10 miles isn't that big of a deal right?

Also, if you guys are still looking for roommate, you guys should check out the roommate matching website.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=375&PageID=6765
pm for temp login.

wannabedoc34 said:
I've been looking at places around BUMC. Looking at the city, it does not seem as big. What are the consequences of living 6-10 miles away (i.e. Brookline) and driving to campus? 6-10 miles isn't that big of a deal right?

Also, if you guys are still looking for roommate, you guys should check out the roommate matching website.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=375&PageID=6765
pm for temp login.

you won't be able to park.

Doctak04 said:
Hey guyz,

Can the BU program be completed within a year? I've been reading some of the posts and it seems like you guyz are saying it'll take 2. I don't plan on applying until June of 2006 anyways, so i guess i can go over 1 year, but 1 year would be my ideal limit. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, so that someone can give me a straight up answer. Thanks guys.

John

From what I understand, the BU program definitely takes two years to complete. If you want a 1 year program, you're better off sticking with something like Georgetown's SMP program.

Doctak04 said:
Can the BU program be completed within a year? I've been reading some of the posts and it seems like you guyz are saying it'll take 2. I don't plan on applying until June of 2006 anyways, so i guess i can go over 1 year, but 1 year would be my ideal limit.

John
John,

BU's program can be completed in one year, but many take two years (especially if they're doing a lab thesis). Your best bet is to do the library thesis instead of the lab thesis if you want to complete the program in one year. There are some students that are able to complete the program in one year with a lab thesis, but this is very rare.

UMDNJ's program is typically 1.5 years if you're doing the MS in Biomedical Sciences. It's possible to complete it in one, but the lab thesis tends to draw things out longer. I've never heard of anyone completing the program in one year, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Alternatively, you can opt for the Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS degree) if you really want to complete the program in one year. The difference with the MS in Biomedical Sciences and the MBS is that the MBS is non-thesis. The MS is the one that UMDNJ suggests for those trying to get into medical school, but the MBS track is also offered for that purpose.

Phil Anthropist said:
John,

BU's program can be completed in one year, but many take two years (especially if they're doing a lab thesis). Your best bet is to do the library thesis instead of the lab thesis if you want to complete the program in one year. There are some students that are able to complete the program in one year with a lab thesis, but this is very rare.

I defer to Phil's mighty wisdom and guidance :D

word on the street (ok, actually one of these forums) is that there's an open house on july 14th and 15th. Can anyone confirm this and Is anyone going to check it out? Thanks.

just out of curiosity, are any of you picking BU's program over Georgetown's?

calbear15 said:
you won't be able to park.

There is parking at BMC and students can get reduced rates.

Phil Anthropist said:

Most people I know are completing the program in one year AND doing a lab thesis. It's not that rare. The only girl I know doing a library thesis is doing it because she's start BU in the fall and doesn't really care about doing a lab thesis since she's already in.

stinkycheese said:
Most people I know are completing the program in one year AND doing a lab thesis. It's not that rare. The only girl I know doing a library thesis is doing it because she's start BU in the fall and doesn't really care about doing a lab thesis since she's already in.
Now I'm confused stinkycheese! :p

From this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119348
Singing Devil said:
1 year is possible, and is done, and some people get out with a research thesis(though usually not), and sometimes get into schools other than BU(though usually not). That is the vast minority.
stinkycheese said:
Singing Devil said:
That is the vast minority.
Absolutely true.

Did I misunderstand something? :confused: I was under the impression that most people opt for the library thesis if they're trying to complete the program in one year.

And are you still headed to NOLA for med school? Good luck! :)

Phil Anthropist said:
Now I'm confused stinkycheese! :p

From this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119348

Did I misunderstand something? :confused: I was under the impression that most people opt for the library thesis if they're trying to complete the program in one year.

And are you still headed to NOLA for med school? Good luck! :)

Hey. I think maybe I had underestimated the number of people in my class who were doing library theses. Now that I have spoken to a larger sample size, I am surprised to find that most of the people I have spoken to are actually doing lab theses and almost everyone is finishing up this year. Pretty cool. Sorry for the confusion :) Thanks for the well wishes about school. Are you doing the BU program this year? It's great.

So, is anyone doing the BU program in one year? I'd like to hear how doable it is. I know everyone says it can be done in a year, but it seems like most take two years.

mosaic said:
So, is anyone doing the BU program in one year? I'd like to hear how doable it is. I know everyone says it can be done in a year, but it seems like most take two years.

Umm... see above, where I stated that almost everyone I know is doing it in one year. Very doable. It's not a whole lot of credits, just 32, and since 8 can be research credits, you only need to take 12 credits each semester, which is like, nothing. It's not a difficult program. It's just about pulling out the good grades.

oops, missed that little bit. thanks for the info!

BU looks like a great program.

I have noticed that some people take Histology in the summer to start. Aside from this being a kick in the oants, does this really take the prssure off during the folowing semesters?

I'd like to do the MS/MPH. Would you recommend doing Histology in the summer to free up hours for MPH study during the year or MPH study during the summer and MS calsses during the regular school year?

sunnyjohn said:
BU looks like a great program.

I have noticed that some people take Histology in the summer to start. Aside from this being a kick in the oants, does this really take the prssure off during the folowing semesters?

People take histo in the summer if they missed it during the year, not to start the whole program, I think. It would be a waste of your summer before school because it is intense and you will burned out before you begin. You need to not be burned out so you can do well in biochem.

I'd like to do the MS/MPH. Would you recommend doing Histology in the summer to free up hours for MPH study during the year or MPH study during the summer and MS calsses during the regular school year?

MPH summer, histo during the year. Anyway, summer histo starts this week I believe, so it's probably too late to take it.

stinkycheese said:
People take histo in the summer if they missed it during the year, not to start the whole program, I think. It would be a waste of your summer before school because it is intense and you will burned out before you begin. You need to not be burned out so you can do well in biochem.

Unless they've changed the policy in the last 2 years, this is simply not true. I know several people who took histo the summer before the program "officially" started in the fall. I agree that it seems to be more intense than if you took it during the year.

I wouldn't call it a waste, either. If you want to take it, but don't take it during the year, you'll either: have 1 tough summer before the academic year starts, or: 1 tough summer after it ends. It just depends on where you want your free time. Also consider that many people are writing their theses/ studying for the MCAT/ applying to schools during the summer after classes, so histo on top of that isn't so appetizing :) You really just need to carefully plan out when you're going to do everything.

In a related story, I just got my degree in the mail yesterday. I can't believe it's officially done! What a long, strange trip it's been. Well, not so long... or strange...

Thanks for the info AnotherDork and stinkycheese. Did either of you do the MPH/MA? Know anyone who did?

I want that MPH but I have to get the best GPA I can in the MA classes.

I figure summer(I &II), fall, spring, summer (I) should be enough to get the 64 credit they require for both degrees. What do you guys think?

I qualify for a little-known international private scholarship if I go for the combined degree with the MPH.

As long as those MPH classes aren't a full kicker I'll be okay.

I am thinking about doing MPH (during my lag year). When did people in the MAMS program apply? Is it difficult? Any thoughts will be appreciated...

Anyone accepted to the BU MA program this fall who also haven't received info. on the orientation and classes of which to choose? I thought they'd be here by now.

sunnyjohn said:
Thanks for the info AnotherDork and stinkycheese. Did either of you do the MPH/MA? Know anyone who did?

I want that MPH but I have to get the best GPA I can in the MA classes.

I figure summer(I &II), fall, spring, summer (I) should be enough to get the 64 credit they require for both degrees. What do you guys think?

I qualify for a little-known international private scholarship if I go for the combined degree with the MPH.

As long as those MPH classes aren't a full kicker I'll be okay.

I don't think you need to pack it in so closely, actually, Sunnyjohn. You need to be registered for 4 semesters, so if you do Fall, spring, following fall, following spring, with the intervening summer to work on your thesis and apply to medical schools, you should have plenty of time. Medical schools will see you're working toward your MPH, and that will be a plus, but they won't see grades, which shouldn't matter because those courses don't go into your BCPM.

Of course, if you want to take histo before your first academic year, or in the intervening summer, this means 6 semesters, and that starts to get expensive.

I knew 1 person who did the combined MA/MPH, but I don't know if she took histo. If she did, it was sometime during the second year. Hope this helps!

ghadiel said:
Anyone accepted to the BU MA program this fall who also haven't received info. on the orientation and classes of which to choose? I thought they'd be here by now.

yeah, i didn't get my info for the fall either. but from what i've been told, most of the classes in our schedules will be the same.

has anyone had any luck finding housing? I talked to Lauri Du Bois and she put me on an email waiting list but it's hard to know what to look for if you don't know boston that well (i'm going to go visit in a couple of weeks).

ghadiel said:
same here

ghadiel said:

When I was up at BU a while back, they said late June to mid-July. So I guess we should just be a little more patient. :D I know, it's hard.

dave

P.S. I saw one of the binders they sent out last year, it's huge!! Which could explain why it takes so long as well.

Anyone know how many people are in the Medical Sciences program?