BU MA in Medical Sciences Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am actually (still, if you can believe it) debating attending BU this Fall. I applied as a non-degree student so I wouldnt have to commit to a whole year or two and it seems like I'm headed there...maybe. Anyway, anyone still looking for a roommate or a place to stay? Also, any tips on cheap apts? Doesnt have to be near BU. I would rather live in the burbs and commute in anyway. How much does a semester parking pass run?

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh! Susan Wilcox reminds me of Karen from Will and Grace.

FlipLoob said:

thats the funniest **** that I've read =) and I agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyD33 said:
thats the funniest **** that I've read =) and I agree.

:laugh: i couldn't agree more! actually, that was the first thing that popped in my head when she started talking.....AND this is her REAL voice (versus the voice of the actress who plays that part really isn't hers)

FlipLoob said:

Only Karen isn't as flighty. You guys will find out what I mean ;)

P.S. I can't believe I am commenting on that stupid show. If it wasn't for the fact that it's one of my gf's favorite shows, I probably wouldn't know what you were talking about. I'd much rather use those two or three brain cells for something more productive, like sleeping.

Live within walking distance. You will have to study at least 6hrs/d - commuting sucks.

junebuguf said:
So I am actually (still, if you can believe it) debating attending BU this Fall. I applied as a non-degree student so I wouldnt have to commit to a whole year or two and it seems like I'm headed there...maybe. Anyway, anyone still looking for a roommate or a place to stay? Also, any tips on cheap apts? Doesnt have to be near BU. I would rather live in the burbs and commute in anyway. How much does a semester parking pass run?

junebuguf said:

keep in mind that driving into boston is AWFUL. especially towards bu med-- it's basically at the intersection of all hellish traffic in boston.

lemonlite said:
Live within walking distance. You will have to study at least 6hrs/d - commuting sucks.

you are TOTALLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! i'm living in brighton, which is SOO FREAKIN FAR from campus. i had no idea where "my school" was until classes started (should have researched more). on a good day, it takes me 30 minutes (aka at 6am or 8pm). bad day=1hour

6 hours a day??? Be honest, you guys study for 6 hours a day? (does that include class time)?

Well, according to my neighbor when I was taking the MCAT. It IS a fulltime committment. I swear I felt like I was surrounded by BU MA people at the Chinatown site. :eek:

Gosh, I never thought a colon could look so pretty until I took histology. ;)

Does the letter drafted by the MAMS program count as a committee letter for med school secondaries? I took two years of post-bacc pre-med classes at two different schools and didnt meet either pre-med offices' requirements to get a committee letter. Has anyone used the MAMS letter for secondaries? Had any problems? Also, are the profs in Physio/Endo/Immuno receptive to recommendation requests from MAMS students?

Also, I am thinking of taking Neuro next semester since its in a block by itself before physio. Is this a bad idea?

Hi, here is my question for people who has experience with this program. I am thinking of applying to this program this year. And I am also thinking about reapplying to med school for 2007 matriculation. Has anyone done this?

In other words is it plausible to attend BU program starting Fall 2006 and matriculate to a medical school Fall 2007?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
silkworm said:
Hi, here is my question for people who has experience with this program. I am thinking of applying to this program this year. And I am also thinking about reapplying to med school for 2007 matriculation. Has anyone done this?

In other words is it plausible to attend BU program starting Fall 2006 and matriculate to a medical school Fall 2007?

Thanks

if you look through the sdn posts concerning this, people say that it is possible to complete and matriculate, but it is discouraged to try this route. the 2 year route is much more successful.

I've got some questions about applying to the MA in medical sciences program and I hope someone will be able to answer them.
How does one send MCAT scores to the BU MA program? I've scoured the website and the THx site and I have no idea and I'm getting angry and I've hit my computer and yelled at it and spit at it and I even gave it the silent treatment but it's just not answering my question. Maybe one of you can answer it - and I won't even yell at you or spit at you or hit you or give you the silent treatment... unless you want me to.
If I have questions about the application (I'm applying to med school this year and without any interviews it doesn't look like I'll get in, I've been out of undergraduate for 3+ years - since 2002 - so it'll be pretty much impossible to get new LORs, will it be possible to use my med school LORs for BU's MA program? I hope so.) who do I contact? The 2 program co-chairs? Should I just send an email to Dr. Franzblau? I can't even find Dr. Broitman's email address...
How easy is it to establish MA residency? If one attends this program can he establish MA residency at the same time and use said residency to apply to UMass during the 2nd year?
Thanks in advance.

If anyone knows the answer to Desired's questions regarding LORs please post it - or if you find it D, will you lemme know please? Also, for the personal statement BU requires did you folks simply submit your AMCAS personal statement or rewrite one tailored to BU? Obviously the latter would be better but would submitting the AMCAS PS be extremely detrimental? ...all this essay writing is really cramping my style.

Bill, I'm writing a new personal statement. The AMCAS one is so different and BU's application doesn't have a spot for the ECs. I figure any volunteer experience, clinical experience, awards, blah blah blah; ho pimpin would need to be explained in my personal statement.
I'm finna email Dr. Franzblau and I'll post what he says. But I would appreciate any insight from current/former BU MA students.

i believe you can simply go to the amcas website and subit your mcat scores or just email them a copy of the webpage with your code or snail mail them a printout of what's on the Thx page on amcas. it's not that big of a deal.

if you have any questions, email [email protected] or [email protected]. if you get on natasha hall's good side (she handles most of the administrative aspect of the mams application process) you should be fine. if you have other questions, hit me a pm!

ghadiel said:
Im in the BU program and I love it. They really seem to want us to succeed. I can't comment on the other program though. Good luck.
Hi ghadiel,
I am applying for the BU MAMS this year (to start this fall '06). Are you still enjoying the program? How big is your class? Do many of that students in your program complete the MA in a year or are more people in the 2-year track? Do you still do a thesis if you choose the 1-year track? Thank you so much for the feedback!

So, I'm applying to this program but I've got a question about the essay/statement of purpose. What the hell is it supposed to be about? All I can do write this dry essay (really poorly written, at that) about why I want to go there, and list my research and my volunteering experience.
So, um, what the hell do I write? Do they honestly expect passion about their program?

desiredusername said:
So, I'm applying to this program but I've got a question about the essay/statement of purpose. What the hell is it supposed to be about? All I can do write this dry essay (really poorly written, at that) about why I want to go there, and list my research and my volunteering experience.
So, um, what the hell do I write? Do they honestly expect passion about their program?

I completed the program in 2004, therefore I applied in the spring of 2003. When I applied I tailored my essay specifically to the program. Yeah it's a drag and tedious considering all the essays you've been writing, but it's worth it. That way they know you're serious about the program. For me my AMCAS essay and BU GMS essay were quite different. Although the ultimate goal is to get into medical school, I think you need to tailor your essay for the goal at hand. Any questions feel free to drop me a PM or email @ [email protected].

Thanks, elon. I've actually got a totally new (non AMCAS) essay but it's just so boring.
"I want to attend the BU MAMS because of X. I feel it will provide me with a better understanding of Y and Z, preparing me for an application for and a career in medicine, etc." followed by a dry (oooh, it's boring) description of my ECs and research and publications, and then a recapitulation of what I said.
C'est la vie. I'm going to keep working on it. I'm glad to see that the MAMS program worked for you and got you into med school, though. Seeing that makes me feel like working to make this essay better will be worthwhile.

desiredusername said:
Thanks, elon. I've actually got a totally new (non AMCAS) essay but it's just so boring.
"I want to attend the BU MAMS because of X. I feel it will provide me with a better understanding of Y and Z, preparing me for an application for and a career in medicine, etc." followed by a dry (oooh, it's boring) description of my ECs and research and publications, and then a recapitulation of what I said.
C'est la vie. I'm going to keep working on it. I'm glad to see that the MAMS program worked for you and got you into med school, though. Seeing that makes me feel like working to make this essay better will be worthwhile.

I'll admit, as dull & boring as it is, my essay said about the same story. There is light at the end of the tunnel and the BU GMS program is well worth the effort in my opinion. Best of luck, drop me a line if you have any questions.

Has everyone seen the new US News rankings where BU cracks the top 30, specifically 28? Supposedly, its because of the new Bioterrorism Lab funding. G'Town is ranked 46, I think. Anyway, since we're all taking med school classes at the :):hungover:rums::) 28th ranked medical school in the country, will this mean that we finally get as much love as G'Town's SMP?

Nope. And the reason has less to do with the rankings of the respective med schools and more to do with the programs themselves.
GT's students take nothing but courses for a year. That's it. They don't do research or write a thesis. And GT's SMP coordinators discourage volunteering (at least that's what they told me). Their students just work to improve their academic credentials for one year.
For whatever reason GT's SMP is perceived as harder. Maybe this perception is justified, I don't know. But as it stands now, BU's SMP is just considered more leisurely and a little bit softer...
Sort of a shame, ain't it? Either way, I'm applying to both and BU seems more attractive to me.

jebus said:
Nope. And the reason has less to do with the rankings of the respective med schools and more to do with the programs themselves.
GT's students take nothing but courses for a year. That's it. They don't do research or write a thesis. And GT's SMP coordinators discourage volunteering (at least that's what they told me). Their students just work to improve their academic credentials for one year.
For whatever reason GT's SMP is perceived as harder. Maybe this perception is justified, I don't know. But as it stands now, BU's SMP is just considered more leisurely and a little bit softer...
Sort of a shame, ain't it? Either way, I'm applying to both and BU seems more attractive to me.

You may be right, but I disagree with your reasoning. For one, if what matters is pure course load, then you can take as many med school courses as you want...and even add a grad school class or two if you're up to it. Second, I see no reason for anyone to presume that G'Town is more rigorous than BU, because BU's med program has traditionally been top 40 even without the bioterrorism lab bump. And lastly, since when is completing a more demanding and meaningful lab based thesis less of an accomplishment than a library research thesis? Even if that were true, you can opt for a library thesis here. All in all, if you could choose to model a program almost exactly like G'Towns in terms of courses and thesis and finish in the same time frame. At BU though, you have the option of taking a wider array of med school classes (for instance, Anatomy in the Summer) and doing a research thesis. And the research you do will definitely help when you get to med school for it will indocrinate you to lab protocols and even open opportunities in labs that would not otherwise be there. After all, your first year is going to be noticeably less pressure-filled than for your peers, so you may as well do research to pad your residency application.

Still, you cant argue with numbers and G'Town does seem to place an awful lot of people into allo programs. Though BU's avg is very nearly close.

Hey,

I am applying to the BU MAMS program right now. I had a few questions and I was hoping that someone would help me with it.

1) Once you have submitted your application, what's the turnaround time for a decision? Does anyone know the acceptance rate? Should I be applying to a lot of programs as backup? So far Ive only applied to this one, but I really want to go here.

2) Is it really too late for financial aid if you apply after January 1st? Do students just take out loans for the rest of the time? :(

3) I am interested in the MAMS with a concentration in Mental Health Conseling, but maybe also the MA/MPH degree (can I still have a concentration with a dual degree? Would I still graduate in two years?)
I'm a little bit confused about how to specify concentration programs on the application: should I choose the concentration or choose the general MAMS option. Also, I don't see the MPH option on the list of Department / Programs. Just to clarify, can you tell me exactly which option I should choose on the application for the following choices:

* Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Mental Health Counseling
* Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Mental Health Counseling and Masters in Public Health
* Masters in Public Health

Thank you,

SD

I thought some current and possibly future GMSers might find this information useful:

Dear Millie, Please let me know if I should direct this question to another
person in the GMS office. I had 2 questions about completing my Masters
Research with the GMS Program.

1. I know that we must be registered for 4 semesters for this Program.
I plan to start my research on August 1, 2006 and plan to be done by the end
of Spring Semester 2007. I believe this is more than 2 semesters (Summer II
- when does that start?, Fall 2006 and Spring 2007). How does this
registration work. Am I allowed to register for 3 semesters or do I just
register for Fall and Spring, even though I start my research in the summer?

YOU SHOULD REGISTER FOR FALL & SPRING TO AVOID PAYING EXTRA TUITION.
SUMMER II BEGINS IN JULY TRHOUGH AUGUST 10TH.

2. Additionally, I was wondering what the cost is of the continuing
education fee is that GMS Students must pay during the time they are
completing their masters research. Is it a different value for the summer
since I assume this is a shorter semester?

TUITION FOR THE CONINUING STUDY IS EQUAL TO TWO CREDITS ($1970) PER
SEMESTER.

GIVE ME A CALL IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.

THANKS
MILLIE AGOSTO

SGMD1 said:
Just wondering what the lowest stats are that have gained anyone admission to the BU program, that you know of...

Not sure about the lowest stats, but several have gotten in with a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA.