BU MA in Medical Sciences Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wannabedoc34 said:
Anyone know how many people are in the Medical Sciences program?

It's gonna be about 130-160 this year. Looks like they are taking more and more each year.

And yes, almost everyone is also from CA, what's up with that? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

jklasser17 said:
It's gonna be about 130-160 this year. Looks like they are taking more and more each year.

And yes, almost everyone is also from CA, what's up with that? :cool:
Wow 130? That's as big as some MS1 classes!

Hey guys, I got a 'small' BU packet in the mail today. It basically had a schedule for the orientation days (9/1 and 9/2), a map of campus, etc. Also, there was a class schedule for 3 courses (14cu's). I'm not really sure how this whole registration works, but at the moment mine shows Histology (6cu), Biochem (6cu), and Rel Med Sci (2cu). I guess this means that means the med Physio is in the Spring term? It says that further registration is done during orientation week. Do most add another elective in there? And how many cu's are considered a hefty load?

Can any past MAMS'ers help us n00bs out? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone has filled out any financial aid info?

ragingbull said:
Hey guys, I got a 'small' BU packet in the mail today.

Sorry folks, the big binder is awaiting us at orientation. I'm an a$$, don't mind me.

monu1234 said:
I was wondering if anyone has filled out any financial aid info?

I was wondering teh same thing...i have already done the FAFSA, but that's about it.

Orientation Schedule

1st Day:
* 8:30 AM - 9:45 AM - Orientation Check-In, L-301
* 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Division Orientation and Breakfast, Hiebert Lounge
* 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM - I.D. Picture Session, Room G03-1, 91 East Concord Street
* 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM - Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Manadatory Orientation, Bakst Auditorium
* 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Chemical Hygiene and Laboratory Safety Orientation and Radiation Safety Orientation (for MA & Ph.D. Students who will be working in labs), L-110
* 6:00 PM - GMSSO Party at the Bell in Hand (Quincy Market)

Second Day:
* 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Academic Conduct Orientation, (Mandatory), Bakst Auditorium
* 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM - ID Picture Session, Room G03-1, 91 East Concord Street
* 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM - M.A. in Medical Sciences Advising Sessions (mandatory), room to be assigned

Got it off of:
http://www.thezonelive.com/zone/public/6/calendar.asp?p=month&v=calendar&d=9/9/2005

They also offer the handbook from last year (for those people who are too anxious). Check the left column of links.

Enjoy.

ragingbull said:
Hey guys, I got a 'small' BU packet in the mail today. It basically had a schedule for the orientation days (9/1 and 9/2), a map of campus, etc. Also, there was a class schedule for 3 courses (14cu's). I'm not really sure how this whole registration works, but at the moment mine shows Histology (6cu), Biochem (6cu), and Rel Med Sci (2cu). I guess this means that means the med Physio is in the Spring term? It says that further registration is done during orientation week. Do most add another elective in there? And how many cu's are considered a hefty load?

Can any past MAMS'ers help us n00bs out? :p

Raging Bull- you have one of two "traditional" schedules (the better one, IMHO :thumbup: ). You are pre-registered for Histology, which means you're in histo for the fall unless you don't want it (but I would recommend you take it- good class). You will take Physio as a full block in the spring, along with the med students.

The other traditional schedule is fall semester physio, which is basically cardio and GI (spring semester physio will be respiratory and kidneys), along with biochemistry.

I think almost every GMS person takes biochem together in the first semester.

You will be able to choose another class or 2 to take along with histo and biochem (biostats, pharm, or some other random ones you'll learn about at orientation).

Don't worry about Rel Med Sci- it has to do with your thesis and will be applied later if you do a lab-based one. It means absolutely nothing for the moment.

I ended up with 17 CU's fall semester. It was a hefty load, but manageable. Hope this helps!

Another Question....

How long does Spring Med. Physiology go for... ( dates)

When are those classes that start in June? (if I'm not mistaken) , and what are they? Immuno? Endo?

This gets back to my issue ( and maybe others ) with having to take the MCAT in either April, or August.

MY idea would be take Med physio and MCAT prep (from Dec,Jan through April), and then take more courses starting in may,or june.

I would start a Lab thesis in the summer.

The Spring Physio goes from the very end of January to the first week of May (we ended on the 13th). Then you get a weeked off and start endo and immuno, which goes till June 15th (give or take a day).

You can definitely take an MCAT prep course along with physio -- quite a few people did it this past year. Plus, you'll have about 2-3 weeks after the MCAT to prep for the physio final. Just don't take any additional spring electives, and you'll be fine.

I recommend doing this so you can get your application out early.

ShyD33 said:
Another Question....

How long does Spring Med. Physiology go for... ( dates)

When are those classes that start in June? (if I'm not mistaken) , and what are they? Immuno? Endo?

This gets back to my issue ( and maybe others ) with having to take the MCAT in either April, or August.

MY idea would be take Med physio and MCAT prep (from Dec,Jan through April), and then take more courses starting in may,or june.

I would start a Lab thesis in the summer.

ygreenst said:
The Spring Physio goes from the very end of January to the first week of May (we ended on the 13th). Then you get a weeked off and start endo and immuno, which goes till June 15th (give or take a day).

You can definitely take an MCAT prep course along with physio -- quite a few people did it this past year. Plus, you'll have about 2-3 weeks after the MCAT to prep for the physio final. Just don't take any additional spring electives, and you'll be fine.

I recommend doing this so you can get your application out early.

Thanks man. I really think that the best way to go with having to take the MCAT in April ( just take one course, Physio, and then pick up with Endo, and Immuno after the April test)

Question again...We have to take a biostats course right? Do we choose which biostats course to take out of the two from the sample cirriculum on the website?

GMS BI 751 Biochemistry, 6 cr, 1st sem
GMS PH 740 Physiology, 6 cr, 2nd sem
-or-
GMS PH 730, 731 Human Physiology A, B, 4 cr each semester, 1st and 2nd sem
GMS MS 700 Elementary Biostatistics, 2 cr, 1st and 2nd sem
-or-
GMS CI 670 Elementary Biostatistics with Computer, 4 cr, 1st sem

You do pick between the two biochem courses. Most people can do just the 2 credit class and they take it in the Fall. I think the computer one involved a Saturday class this past year, so not many took that...unless you really like computers and are going to need to use biostatistical software for your thesis. You can also pretty easily opt out of Biostats if you've taken any Stats in college.
If you're gonna take Biostats, do it in the fall so it won't interfere with Physio and the MCAT.

ShyD33 said:
Thanks man. I really think that the best way to go with having to take the MCAT in April ( just take one course, Physio, and then pick up with Endo, and Immuno after the April test)

Question again...We have to take a biostats course right? Do we choose which biostats course to take out of the two from the sample cirriculum on the website?

GMS BI 751 Biochemistry, 6 cr, 1st sem
GMS PH 740 Physiology, 6 cr, 2nd sem
-or-
GMS PH 730, 731 Human Physiology A, B, 4 cr each semester, 1st and 2nd sem
GMS MS 700 Elementary Biostatistics, 2 cr, 1st and 2nd sem
-or-
GMS CI 670 Elementary Biostatistics with Computer, 4 cr, 1st sem

ygreenst said:
You do pick between the two biochem courses. Most people can do just the 2 credit class and they take it in the Fall. I think the computer one involved a Saturday class this past year, so not many took that...unless you really like computers and are going to need to use biostatistical software for your thesis. You can also pretty easily opt out of Biostats if you've taken any Stats in college.
If you're gonna take Biostats, do it in the fall so it won't interfere with Physio and the MCAT.

Alright then. So i've taken a 200 level Behaviorial Statistics 2nd year of undergrad. Would you think I would be exempt?

And I'm in med biochem, med histology, and REL MED SCI..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread with my question, so just wondering.. when should you have your application in to be considered for admission for September 2006 ?

Out of curiousity, what is the percentage who matriculate into the program that get accepted into med school? Do you think it markedly improves your chances of acceptance?

UofT-Girl said:
Hey guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread with my question, so just wondering.. when should you have your application in to be considered for admission for September 2006 ?

i sent in my application in april of 2005 to start in sept of 2005... oh yeah, i didn't get my acceptance til early june but i think alot of people apply earlier and find their acceptances earlier

Hey!
I just got my acceptance letter today; it G-town doesn't pan out, it looks like i'll be heading to Boston this fall.

:)

I know BU MAMS can be done in one year. But, do you graduate after 2 years?

Silent Cool said:
Hey!
I just got my acceptance letter today; it G-town doesn't pan out, it looks like i'll be heading to Boston this fall.

:)

i sent my app in late june and got accepted for this fall. i'm wondering in past years what percent of the students have already applied to med school before and/or plan on applying while in the program?

j04177117 said:
i sent my app in late june and got accepted for this fall. i'm wondering in past years what percent of the students have already applied to med school before and/or plan on applying while in the program?

Most people have applied and been rejected in the past...though a few seemed to just go straight into the program without any previous attempts to get in. Not many apply while in the program. I'd say in our class, about 20-40 (I'm guessing) out of 160 applied this year. Out of those people, not sure how many got in. Maybe 10-15 people. It is doable, but it will be harder to get into BU then other schools because preference is given to 2nd year GMS students. Hope this helps.

And for the previous question:

The BU program can be completed in 12 months. You have to write your thesis by August and your degree is conferred in Spetember after you finish classes. So it doesn't take 2 years to graduate.

ygreenst said:
Most people have applied and been rejected in the past...though a few seemed to just go straight into the program without any previous attempts to get in. Not many apply while in the program. I'd say in our class, about 20-40 (I'm guessing) out of 160 applied this year. Out of those people, not sure how many got in. Maybe 10-15 people. It is doable, but it will be harder to get into BU then other schools because preference is given to 2nd year GMS students. Hope this helps.

And for the previous question:

The BU program can be completed in 12 months. You have to write your thesis by August and your degree is conferred in Spetember after you finish classes. So it doesn't take 2 years to graduate.

i had 7 interviews, zero acceptances, and currently sitting on 2 waitlists for this fall. i already wasn't sure about doing the BU program because in terms of numbers, i'm okay, albeit a low undergrad gpa in engineering. now, however, after reading a few threads about the BU program, seems like the BU program won't help much if i'm re-applying at the same time. i haven't turned in my amcas 2006 yet, so do you think it's wise to NOT mention i might do the BU program so med schools will review my app earlier? thanks in advance for any advice.

ok, so far all i got was a pamphlet about early bird class access. and some stuff about health care which came in with my acceptance. did anyone receive anything more thorough? like anything regarding financial aid or class info or anything? i know we get the bulk fo the stuff during orientation, but still, i thought i wuda gotten more than this so far :confused:

monu1234 said:
ok, so far all i got was a pamphlet about early bird class access. and some stuff about health care which came in with my acceptance. did anyone receive anything more thorough? like anything regarding financial aid or class info or anything? i know we get the bulk fo the stuff during orientation, but still, i thought i wuda gotten more than this so far :confused:

Hey,

i got my financial aid info about a month ago, and my class info just a week ago. I applied in march, was accepted towards the end of may. Perhaps your stuff (financial aid and class info ) is on its way? If you can, call the program up and ask them when you'll get more info. So far i've gotten: financial aid, class info, early bird acs pamphlet and the healthcare package. I think most of the other stuff we get during orientation.

monu1234 said:

I'm still waiting for my class and orientation schedule too. This is what Michelle Hall told me on July 6th:

'Orientation information for the new in-coming students were mailed out last week.* If you do not receive your orientation packet by Monday, July 11th, please let me know. I will resend you another packet.'
Michelle Hall <[email protected]>

Hope that helps!

hey, i got my class info (i have biochem and rel med sci) and the orientation info. I'm going up to boston this sat and stay through housing open house, is anyone else going to be there?

AnotherDork, stinkycheese, ygreenst, cammy

Do you guys mind providing some info on the thesis requirement.

What is required for a successful library thesis?

What about the lab thesis?

Do you write them based on class work during the program?

Still looking for an apartment in Boston..can someone please pm me some contact info or deals that they thought were great? :thumbup: Really appreciate it.

ME too,, im looking for a pad as well. Reasonable price, one bedroom or studio,,,realtively close to medical campus...HELP

ghadiel said:
ME too,, im looking for a pad as well. Reasonable price, one bedroom or studio,,,realtively close to medical campus...HELP

Don't have much advice regarding housing -- just look at craigslist and contact the BU housing woman so she can email you listings.

As for the thesis, I don't know much about the lab one, but if you do a lab thesis, you can get grades for it. I am doing a library thesis (Pass/Fail) ~45-50 pages are required on the topic of your choice. It's supposed to be a review-type article that involves personal opinions on an issue (like the latest diabetes meds, public health problem, or anything else that iterests you).You have 2 faculty readers look over and approve it. The library thesis is something most GMS people don't work on till the summer/year after they finish classes.

Hope this helps!

sunnyjohn said:

Do you guys mind providing some info on the thesis requirement.

What is required for a successful library thesis?

I think ygreenst pretty much covered this question. One thing is that you pretty much have to throw your life into completing the thesis on time, particularly if you aim to finish within a 3 month period. Some students have the good fortune of finding an incredibly understanding advisor that will happily expedite the completion of the paper. However, things always come up and most never seem to finish when they want to. But if you must finish by next fall because you have a med school admission then you definately will but the question becomes how hard you'll have to work to get it done. Point is, the final say is up to your advisor so choose wisely.

hey guys, i completed my fafsa stuff but i don't know where to go from there when applying for my financial aids/student loans stuff... can anyone please point me in the right direction?

ShyD33 said:
Alright then. So i've taken a 200 level Behaviorial Statistics 2nd year of undergrad. Would you think I would be exempt?

And I'm in med biochem, med histology, and REL MED SCI..?

if u've taken any stats class u dont have to take the stats course that the program requires u to take..i got the exemption and didnt bother to take the class, instead i took pharm.

FYI: If you haven't received your financial aid STUFF, email Michelle Hall. They will resend it to you.

jiggaman said:
if u've taken any stats class u dont have to take the stats course that the program requires u to take..i got the exemption and didnt bother to take the class, instead i took pharm.

Awesome to hear then. I hope everything works out. What are some good electives (med or non-med)?

sunnyjohn said:

Hey guys,

Sorry, I've been away... haven't checked SDN in a while. Cammy and ygreenst answered the library-based thesis question pretty well. I did a lab-based one. It usually takes a little longer to do a lab-based one, because you have to run all the experiments, etc (unless you're doing some sort of statistical analysis of previously generated data- that counts as a lab thesis too). The upside is that it doesn't have to be any minimum length in terms of pages, although experiments tend to involve a fair amount of troubleshooting, etc. and may be more of a hassle than writing a library-based thesis.

Almost everyone I know who did a lab-based thesis graduated the following May (i.e., a year after classes ended). So they definitely seem to take a little longer. But that's the lag year, anyway, and you need to find SOMETHING to occupy your time :)

If you find the right advisor or can get a position at another hospital, you can get a salary while you're working on your thesis (it's perfectly acceptable). Some may require you to do other work, and just work on your thesis in your spare time, but others may let you spend days just writing and reading journal articles. Cammy is right, as usual: you need to sort of gauge the advisor and choose wisely.

Don't sweat the thesis until second semester though. You'll have your hands full enough the first semester. Good luck!

AnotherDork said:
Hey guys,

Sorry, I've been away... haven't checked SDN in a while. Cammy and ygreenst answered the library-based thesis question pretty well. I did a lab-based one. It usually takes a little longer to do a lab-based one, because you have to run all the experiments, etc (unless you're doing some sort of statistical analysis of previously generated data- that counts as a lab thesis too). The upside is that it doesn't have to be any minimum length in terms of pages, although experiments tend to involve a fair amount of troubleshooting, etc. and may be more of a hassle than writing a library-based thesis.

Almost everyone I know who did a lab-based thesis graduated the following May (i.e., a year after classes ended). So they definitely seem to take a little longer. But that's the lag year, anyway, and you need to find SOMETHING to occupy your time :)

If you find the right advisor or can get a position at another hospital, you can get a salary while you're working on your thesis (it's perfectly acceptable). Some may require you to do other work, and just work on your thesis in your spare time, but others may let you spend days just writing and reading journal articles. Cammy is right, as usual: you need to sort of gauge the advisor and choose wisely.

Don't sweat the thesis until second semester though. You'll have your hands full enough the first semester. Good luck!

I might inject that from what I've been told that lab based thesis may have more credits than library based according to Broitman.

blankguy said:
I might inject that from what I've been told that lab based thesis may have more credits than library based according to Broitman.

and that you get an actual grade that goes towards your gpa and not just pass/fail, right?

ragingbull said:
and that you get an actual grade that goes towards your gpa and not just pass/fail, right?

Sarcasm not appreciated.
But going back to the lab vs library how many credits does each fetch?

Hey guys,
I was just accepted to the Boston Masters Program. I'm planning to go to Dental School. I also got accepted to Barry University. Which should I go to? Thanks.

dentallover15 said:
Hey guys,
I was just accepted to the Boston Masters Program. I'm planning to go to Dental School. I also got accepted to Barry University. Which should I go to? Thanks.

go to whichever one you feel you can really kick ass at. if you have more family/support systems in one area than another, go there. if money's an issue, keep in mind boston is ridiculously expensive. and cold. i don't know anything about barry's program, but if you do well at bu, you'll be in a very good position for applying.

Im in the BU program and I love it. They really seem to want us to succeed. I can't comment on the other program though. Good luck.

Hi everyone,
I'll be at the BU MAMS program this Fall and just got into town this week. I was wondering if anyone would want to go sightseeing before orientation/school starts? There's so much time to kill and I want to see the city before I have to look at the inside of a library for the rest of the year. PM me if you're interested. :)

to those who have already finished the program. I've heard from friends in med school (ok, 2 friends, but they went to colombia and wash U so their advice has to be good, right???) that sometimes they didn't need to buy text books for certain classes, they just used notes. They also pre-empted this by saying it definitely depends on the professor, so they had to ask upper classmen for advice. So my long-winded question is, are their any classes for which I won't need to buy textbooks?

monu1234 said:
to those who have already finished the program. I've heard from friends in med school (ok, 2 friends, but they went to colombia and wash U so their advice has to be good, right???) that sometimes they didn't need to buy text books for certain classes, they just used notes. They also pre-empted this by saying it definitely depends on the professor, so they had to ask upper classmen for advice. So my long-winded question is, are their any classes for which I won't need to buy textbooks?

I'm pre-registered for Histology an Biochemistry in the fall and one of the medical students in my building asked me if I wanted to purchase his textbooks. He was willing to sell me them for half price. I believe the Biochem book is $150 new and $110 used at the bookstore. I almost did buy them, until my roommate, who is an MD-PhD student at BUSM, and a friend convinced me not to. They told me that the handouts that are passed out are comprehensive enough and thus there really is no need to buy the textbooks. Besides, you could always go to the library if you really wanted to look over a textbook.

trust me you will only need the syllabus. don't buy textbooks.

So, we've been admitted to BU MAMS. :) I was thinking about the lag year and what my options were. Other than doing a MPH or a MBA, what else do people do in their lag year? Jobs, you say? What types of jobs are available (doesn't have to be around Boston).

Hey im starting the MAMS program this fall and im here a few days early trying to move into my aptartment. But yeah if anyone is down to check out some places in Boston while we have the free time let me know. My email is [email protected].

radioh3ad said:
trust me you will only need the syllabus. don't buy textbooks.

So which classes do we need textbooks for? Where's everyone living?

After being to the first day of orientation, what are the most interesting (not necessarily the easiest) classes for electives this fall? we have advising tomorrow.