BU or Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply to one of them I think, not sure which. what do you guys know about pros/cons of each? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not apply to both? They have different admissions standards, so you may be a shoe in at one school and have no chance at the other. I have some friends at Tufts who didnt get an interview from BU and many of my classmates never even heard back from Tufts. Different schools, apply to both.

what kind of ppl does each one tend to look at? I have a low GPA, hopefully high DAT's, well-rounded applicant.... thanks for your input.

(i'm trying to save money... this whole proces is mad expensive.

I was looking into a school in Quebec Canada today, and their tuition was less than 3,000 canadian a year. now that is reasonable. oh well.)

any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:
what kind of ppl does each one tend to look at? I have a low GPA, hopefully high DAT's, well-rounded applicant.... thanks for your input.

(i'm trying to save money... this whole proces is mad expensive.

I was looking into a school in Quebec Canada today, and their tuition was less than 3,000 canadian a year. now that is reasonable. oh well.)

any advice is much appreciated.

i think you have to be a quebec resident to get that 3000$ deal. i live in quebec but theres few options here. mcgill is very hard to get into and all the other schools are 100% french

i studied french for a long time in Canada, so I can handle it, I just felt lik it might limit me in terms of practicing in the USA after. I am looking into laval and montreal as back ups... but I would have to take the canadian DAT for montreal...

mlle said:
I'm going to apply to one of them I think, not sure which. what do you guys know about pros/cons of each? thanks.

I interviewed at both. Both seemed like great schools, but I came out with a preference for Tufts.

BU has a strong emphasis on new technology (you can even choose to have all your texts on DVD), up to date facilities, what seemed like an extremely involved and helpful faculty lending to a real community feel between faculty and student. The APEX program seemed cool too. And they're supposed to have a top notch endo program, so if thats your thing, then maybe you can network with the best. I dunno.

One con of BU is its location, which is only a minor con since it is in BOSTON. Its just not in the really cool part of Boston. BU is more expensive than Tufts, but not by a whole lot. Both are pricey. If you worry about what other people think about where you go to school (you should NOT), but if you do, BU gets beat up on all the time on this forum. If I were you, try to ignore the BU bashing.

Tufts is in the cool part of Boston (Besides Cambridge of course, which is the COOLEST). Real professional and mentorship type vibe. Slightly less money than BU. And you get a Jumbo Elephant for your Mascot. How cool is that?!! They're just different really. I'd spend the extra money to apply to both then see what happens. Rezdawg is right, you might not get an interview from one or the other. Just apply to both and see for yourself. :thumbup:

BTW, I'm going to University of Michigan. Accepted to Tufts, turned them down and now wondering if I'm going to wish I were in Boston instead of Ann Arbor...Doesn't matter now.

Gulch, thanks for all your input. I'm sure you made the right choice. best of luck.

Personal preference, I think Tufts is the better school. I think they prepare you better clinically and academically. But then, I'm relying on reputation and can't back it up first hand. Anyway, I interviewed at Tufts, was accepted, and was very impressed with the school.