Bu vs nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental 2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know where I should go.
I got accepted to four dental schools but I am thinking between two schools, between BU and NYU. I was impressed that NYU has really good facilities and clinic, but BU has better programs.
I think there are always pro and con. So, if you need to pick a school, where would you go??? and could you please give me some reasons too.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know where I should go.
I got accepted to four dental schools but I am thinking between two schools, between BU and NYU. I was impressed that NYU has really good facilities and clinic, but BU has better programs.
I think there are always pro and con. So, if you need to pick a school, where would you go??? and could you please give me some reasons too.

What are your other options btw?

BU. It's cheaper, and I really do love Boston. However, that's up to you. Every pre-dent will tell you to go to whatever school you like most. On the other hand, dentists will tell you to attend the cheaper of the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU. It's cheaper, and I really do love Boston. However, that's up to you. Every pre-dent will tell you to go to whatever school you like most. On the other hand, dentists will tell you to attend the cheaper of the two.

Aren't they roughly the same price?

http://dentalschool.bu.edu/bulletin/DMD/fin-tuition.html

ADEA has ETA of BU: $80,239/ $81224 / $ 74940 / $ 71712

On the other hand,

NYU:
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

You're over 90k every year, except the last. So, there's about 45k (or so) difference.

Your including non educational fees in those numbers such as rent and personal expenses. That is way too variable. You can pay less rent in NYC than in Boston, or you can pay way more. Minus living expenses, they are roughly equivalent as < 10 K is not significant.

Your including non educational fees in those numbers such as rent and personal expenses. That is way too variable. You can pay less rent in NYC than in Boston, or you can pay way more. Minus living expenses, they are roughly equivalent as < 10 K is not significant.

How can one exclude personal expenses? They give you the estimate for a reason. If you want to live with 10 other guys in a condo in NYC to state it is cheaper, by all means, go for it. http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=53651000&city2=52507000

Look at the cost of living comparison. NYC is significantly more expensive to live in compared to Boston.

Well a new plus has been added to BU. They now allow 3rd and 4th year to book appointments online. No need to worry about getting up early to go into school to book appointments anymore!!!

My friend says that:
3rd years get 8 banked appointments
4ths get 10 banked appointments

As you use them, you can book ahead into the future. You can only hold 8 chairs at any given time, its first come first serve. And chairs are available like 3 weeks into the future.

Also, grading for third years has changed. No more requirements to pass, any work you do counts. Third year is now one massive clinical course. Its a 16 credit course with one grade for the year. Any and every procedure you do gets you points so you don't have to pick and choose patients on what you have left for requirements.

This is great news for BU!

My reason for picking BU over NYU was class size, location, and happiness of students. NYU kind of felt like undergrad to me in that there were a ton of people going in and out and people don't seem to know eachother. I think Manhatten is absolutely amazing, but I don't know if I can handle living there. I just felt like I wouldn't see plants for 4 years haha. Also the guy giving us the tour as well as the other students we had lunch with did not seem to be very happy. On the otherhand BU students couldn't stop talking about how great their school was.

But after everything, it's completely up to you. What I listed above may not bother you, and you may look at other things that NYU is better at. For example, facilities/technology is much nicer at NYU. Also I believe you get a decent vacation (just a 2 week summer at BU) which you may find helpful in studying for boards.

Arguing about expenses is, IMHO, pointless since they are both extremely expensive.

always good to back up one's claims with data.

Yes that is an average estimate. But then how do I know many people who live in Brooklyn (williamsburg) and Manhat, who pay less than some buddies I know working in Boston. Besides Boston sucks a lot.