BU with advanced standing for foreign trained dentists.How have You done it with kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lena

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,everyone!
I will be attending BU 2year Program for foreign trained dentists.Is anybody there who has done it or similar programs?I understand they are intense and tough,but I want to ask a lot of details...The things are tough for me because i have a 6 year old daughter who will probably live with me.I am not familiar with Boston area at all.Where should i live(taking in consideration the commute time and public schools)?Any info will help.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you write or e-mail the dental school about your concerns? They may prove helpful in answering your questions and they may even have printed information about housing, cost of living, transportation, day care, etc. You might ask your name and email address be given to any Korean students in the program or even in the dental school itself, so you can ask questions of students. And not Koreans only: ask to be put in touch with any women with children in the program or in the dental school classes.

Many schools are receptive to this, so don't think you are imposing on them. The worst they can tell you is they can't help you now.

There also must be some Korean-American organization in Boston you might contact for help. Perhaps a Korean consulate office is in Boston; if not, there is surely one in New York City. Your own government can supply addresses. American consulates usually have information on studying in the US; there is surely one in Seoul.

It is a big step you are taking, so do your homework. Meanwhile, congratulations and good luck.

Thanks for the promt reply. First I have to say that I am an ethnic Russian; my American husbund is in the US military stationed in S.Korea.
I addressed the director of admissions with the same questions. I asked the questions you suggested but got a response with few useful points. I actually asked to get an email of Russian students and expressed the understanding of privacy issues involved. The only answer was that the classes are from 8-5 and some students volunteered to do the lab work after hours.(I know that students are much busier than that.) There is no housing. The booklet advises to contact a real estate agency and gives the areas of Boston proper that are close to the school. I looked up some statistics about public schools and got discouraged. I searched the Net as much as I could. I even printed out the zoning chart for the elementary schools in Suburbs. There is a large Russian community in Boston, but I did not find anything helpful on the Web.
Unfortunately, the closest my husband could get stationed is the Washinton, D.C. area where he will work as a pilot shuttling military VIPs along the east coast with somewhat irregular hours. He is considering getting out of the military and getting a very low paying commuter pilot job in order to accelerate his career to the Major airlines. (Irregular hours again) We are wrestling with a decision if he should stay in for the $$ sake or get out and live with me and our daughter.
I am looking for any advice on housing, for the best areas considering I have a 6 year old daughter for whom I like to attend a decent public school. Also, what do or what have other moms done at the dental school to cope with both the demands of school and raising a child? Finally, I want a realistic picture of just how busy most the dental students are in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lena,

Here's a thought: if you are a member of a religious denomination, why don't you search (web) for the local diocese or congregation in the Boston area. Not only will they be willing to give you advice, but they may have a congregant who would be able to put you and your daughter up until you find a place to live (and maybe help you find one).

Go BU!
[I'm a BU alum, B.S. '87, M.S. '89]

Thank You for a good thought.Lena.

I am surprised, Lena, that BU dental school was so unhelpful, and I am sorry to know that.

Try contacting a friend of mine at Tufts University. She is the undergraduate advisor but she should be helpful, if she has the time. Tell her that Dr. DM from NY suggested that, because she is such a good person and so well informed, she might be willing to give you advice. Don't push her if she says she is too busy; she IS very busy and has no requirment to help an orphan of the storm with no connection to Tufts.
At least, maybe she can direct you to where you can get the info you need.

Don't mislead her, as you did me, with the Korean address. My fault: I violated a principle--never make assumptions!

Ms Carol Baffi-Dugan
[email protected]