BUCOM vs KCU Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which one would you choose?


  • Total voters
    4

Medstudent3202

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got off the waitlist for KCU Joplin campus and I got accepted into BUCOM as well. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I am from Nashville, TN. What would be the best choice for me regarding these two?

BUCOM

Pros:

  • Affiliated with Baptist Memorial and has in home residencies
  • Cheaper by $16k/yr
  • Seems to have a great environment
  • Campus is beautiful
Cons:

  • Newer school, so limited data and i am not sure if they have things as sorted and organized as they should be
  • Despite family being close by, Memphis isn't rly the most desirable city to be in
  • Graded
  • No MPH

KCU-Joplin

Pros:
  • Two great hospitals very closely affiliated with the school
  • Less focus on OMM. I'm fine with OMM, but I do like having more time to study other things
  • has match rate and board pass rates
  • P/F
  • established

Cons:
  • Rural for first two years(I can rotate at KC for 3rd year)
  • Heard its curriculum is harder than most DOs(but idk how true that is).
  • Heard that a curve will no longer be applied for exams (originally KCU would curve classes to 85% but it doesn’t do that anymore)
  • Far away
  • Low board pass rate compared to previous years