KCU Joplin vs Touro CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

confusedsoul723

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Context about me: South Asian girl who's lived in California whole life. I love California, but I am open-minded to being OOS. I'm from Norcal and Touro CA is super close to home.

Touro CA
Pros
  • known area that's only an hour drive from home
  • support system is in California
  • true P/F preclinical years
  • matches well in CA
  • 100% match
  • i think decent research opportunities (i also have ties to my previous research job in the bay)
Cons
  • no opportunity to leave CA for rotations (ik this wouldn't be a con for many but for me i have always had an itch to live in another place for a bit)
  • Vallejo isn't the greatest area
  • Campus is not the best
  • not as well respected as KCU

KCU Joplin

Pros
  • well established and respected DO program
  • match well in competitive speciality (don't know what specialty i want yet so this is important to me)
  • good rotation sites
  • smaller class could be more tight knit?
  • Two hospitals closely affiliated with the school that ik also hold residency spots for students
  • doesn't seem to push students into primary care as strongly and the emphasis on OMM is a bit less
  • only in Joplin for 2 years and then out for rotations
Cons
  • in Joplin (this is the biggest thing for me)
  • board pass rates getting lower, but this is also true for Touro CA which i think is lower
  • no support system around and no direct flights
  • heard the curriculum is challenging, but i also see how this can be helpful
  • food lol (i'm vegetarian which could be tough in the midwest)
 
When it comes to DO schools I am not sure prestige matters all that much. What is the difference in cost? If you want to match in CA I would go to a school in CA
 
When it comes to DO schools I am not sure prestige matters all that much. What is the difference in cost? If you want to match in CA I would go to a school in CA
KCU is a little cheaper. Less about prestige and more about outcomes. I think KCU matches better in competitive specialties, but Touro CA matches better in California.