Buddy Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHSDOMBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
Just curious to know how good buddies can enter EM residencies together? Is the "couple's match" necessary? It seems kind of awkward to do that. I realize that it must be really hard to be matched at the same place if things were done separately. Please let me know if you have any advice.

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You better act fast before there is a constitutional amendment passed to stop you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, "buddy matching" was legally recognized for a brief period of time a few months ago in several states, but I think it has since been repealed.

Good to see everyone is back to "helping people"

If you really want to go to residency with someone, you should couple's match (not just for married people, which is why it is called "couple's" and not "bring your spouse").

It seems to me you want to guarantee a spot for you and your buddy without going through the couple's match, but you don't give any reason why. There are two reasons not to go through the couple's match: you don't really want to go together badly enough (e.g. you don't want to coordinate your rank lists and make sacrifices in your program selection) or you are afraid of the homophobia/assumptions that people would make.

If it is worth it (you are willing to go to a sub-par program/locations in order to stay with your buddy), you should couple's match. You don't have to tell programs. You also can submit your paired rankings and then your combinations that are not paired (see the NRMP site for details)--so that the top 10 combos have you together and then the next 30 have you in different cities. As for the assumptions/homophobia aspect (thank you fellow SDNers for making that point): you don't need to tell anyone else what you are doing.

As far as I know, the couples match tries to put you in the same city, not necessarily the same program.

beriberi said:
If it is worth it (you are willing to go to a sub-par program/locations in order to stay with your buddy), you should couple's match. You don't have to tell programs. You also can submit your paired rankings and then your combinations that are not paired (see the NRMP site for details)--so that the top 10 combos have you together and then the next 30 have you in different cities. As for the assumptions/homophobia aspect (thank you fellow SDNers for making that point): you don't need to tell anyone else what you are doing.

Dead wrong. The programs will have to know due to the mechanism of the couple's match. In the couples match, one person is the "lead". That person ROL is used to "drive" the match. The "first" program (i.e., where they would have matched absent the coupling) is determined for that individual and then programs listed as "acceptable" to the other person given the first one's match are called directly and asked for a match. It may be easier with an example. Dr. A and Dr. B are couples matching. Dr. A is the lead. Dr. A submits a ROL list as follows 1. City Hospital - EM, Any City, IL 2. County Hospital - EM, Any County, IL 3. General Hospital - EM, Any City, NY. Dr. B's list looks like this 1. If Dr. A matches to City Hospital - EM, Any City, IL then 1. City Hospital - EM, Any City, IL 2. City Hospital - IM, Any City, IL 3. Community Hospital - EM, Any City, IL 4. No match 2. If Dr. B matches to County Hospital - EM, Any County, IL then 1. County Hospital - EM, Any County, IL 2. No match 3. If Dr. A matches to General Hospital - EM, Any City NY then 1. General Hospital - EM, Any City, NY 2. No match. So the match begins and Dr. A matches to City Hospital - EM. The NRMP then calls Dr. B's list, in order. Fo rthe sake of example, none of those programs offers a slot to Dr. B. Dr. A is then matched to County Hospital. To end the example, lets assume County also offers a slot to Dr. B.

Why do I know this? I was in the same boat as the OP. I heavily considered "couples matching" with a close friend of mine of the same gender. In the end, we chose not to. We asked several trusted advisors, some heavily involved in residency programs, and all said it would likely be percieved as though we (my friend and I) were romantically linked. And, as unfortunate a commentary on society as it is, they all felt this would likely adversely effect our applications. And I am MARRIED!

I'm sorry BeriBeri but homophobia is real. I am not argeeing with it or supporting it. But I did not feel the need, after working hard to get through medical school, to "fall on my sword" just to prove a point. There are enough challenges in the matching process, I would advise against subjecting yourself to additional ones.

- H

The Couples Match will put you in the same city, same program, or different cities and programs. It is completly dependent on how the couple sets up their ROLs.

I would like to just say, I in no way, assumed the poster was homosexual, nor would I care either way. In fact if you would like to flame me, I would suggest you complain that I?m politicizing the discussion by making an attempt to make a mockery of a movement that I feel is writing bigotry and religious intolerance into the constitution.

On the helping side, I can offer little more than encouragement, which I should have done in the initial message. I did not at that time since I instead went for the joke, however I will do so at this juncture. So, UHSDOMBA, I wish you luck whatever you decide and hopefully I will see you out on the interview trail this year.

Now for another joke: I for one am not burdened with this issue as I have no friends and people have tried to develop an anti-couples match involving me.

FoughtFyr said:
Dead wrong. The programs will have to know due to the mechanism of the couple's match. In the couples match, one person is the "lead". That person ROL is used to "drive" the match. The "first" program (i.e., where they would have matched absent the coupling) is determined for that individual and then programs listed as "acceptable" to the other person given the first one's match are called directly and asked for a match. - H

I went through the couples match, but I am not familiar with this "lead" mechanism that you are describing.

Bottom line: Programs DO NOT have to know you are couples matching. You may tell them if you wish, or indicate on ERAS that you are couples matching.

There is not necessarily program-to-program contact during the interviews or match.

My wife and I asked our respective programs to contact each other, because we didn't want any interviews at programs where there wasn't a reciprocal interview for the other. Some programs contacted one another, some didn't. Most interviewers had no idea I was couples matching.

The NRMP algorithum matches a couple at the highest position on their ROL where BOTH were ranked and positions are available. It is the same algorithum for the regular match, except it is linked to your partner's ROL.

in case I offended anybody, I was completely kidding. I actually edited my original post down from a lengthy discussion about homophobia/assumptions programs would have to make and the resulting potential discrimination issues (and perhaps lawsuits) that could ultimately stem from something as innocent as two good friends trying to match into the same program or a gay couple trying to couple's match. Humor aside, unless you really ARE gay and need to stay with your SO, it certainly wouldnt be worth the couple's match attempt.

margaritaboy said:
I went through the couples match, but I am not familiar with this "lead" mechanism that you are describing.

Bottom line: Programs DO NOT have to know you are couples matching. You may tell them if you wish, or indicate on ERAS that you are couples matching.

There is not necessarily program-to-program contact during the interviews or match.

My wife and I asked our respective programs to contact each other, because we didn't want any interviews at programs where there wasn't a reciprocal interview for the other. Some programs contacted one another, some didn't. Most interviewers had no idea I was couples matching.

The NRMP algorithum matches a couple at the highest position on their ROL where BOTH were ranked and positions are available. It is the same algorithum for the regular match, except it is linked to your partner's ROL.

The mechanism I described was for couples matching in "early match" (e.g., Optho) and NRMP (e.g., EM). I didn't realize the difference.

I humbly stand corrected. :oops:

I would still be a bit concerned if programs "discovered" the coupling. And hiding it would create the impression there was something to hide.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
The mechanism I described was for couples matching in "early match" (e.g., Optho) and NRMP (e.g., EM). I didn't realize the difference.

I humbly stand corrected. :oops:

I would still be a bit concerned if programs "discovered" the coupling. And hiding it would create the impression there was something to hide.

- H

Dude, no sweat. I didn't know the early match even offered a couples match, so that is good to know.

I stand humbly educated.

Hey dudes and dudettes,
I did not mean to trigger so many reactions. My good bud who's happily married and has a little boy and I have been good friends for years. We just want to hang out and be stupid like the cast on Scrubs during our residency. However, from the feedback I have received, that seems highly unlikely. Oh well, I wish the application process is similar to the one for medical school. Anyhow, best of luck to all of you. And to all, a good night! :D