Budgeting in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rlow04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I sucked at budgeting for the first four years of our marriage (two years in undergrad together and the first two years of dental school). We tried Mint, spreadsheets, but we mostly just winged it. We fought about money and overspent. Then we'd swear to be better the next month. Even little purchases can be a point of contention when you're living on a limited budget and going into debt.

Last October we bought a piece of software called You Need A Budget aka YNAB. It had a learning curve, but after the first couple of months we had it figured it out. We haven't fought about money since.

Well, that's not true - we did fight about my wife going to the dentist a few months before I started working in our school's dental clinic and could have seen her for free. She was feeling sugar sensitivity and was in her second trimester of pregnancy and had a very valid point: She hadn't been to the dentist since we've been married because I had kept telling her that she was fine and would have free dental care for life. She's never had a cavity, but her bite wings revealed a small E1 interproximal lesion that will be perfect for boards.

Anyway. YNAB is on sale right now for $40 instead of the normal $60 until July 22nd, 2013. Check out their website (youneedabudget.com), read the '4 rules', and download the free trial. If you like it, pull the trigger and buy the software while it's only $40. We bought it at $60 and it has paid for itself 20x over.

I have no connection to YNAB, I get no kickbacks, this is a breakdown/review just like in the DAT forum. I'm buying a couple copies during this sale to give as gifts.

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.