Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Buffalo or Maryland or Job?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Leah27, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Here's my situation: I applied to 5 schools, got rejected from UOP, Albany , and Drake and havn't heard from Maryland or Buffalo yet. I graduate in May... should I start activly looking for a relevant job position (ie. Pharm Tech) now, or should I wait until I know for sure if I'm going to pharm school or not? I'd hate to apply to a job and lie about how long I could work there (say a year, then get accpeted and leave in 3 months!) But then again, Maryland's website says I may not hear from them until May, and Buffalo's says August!!! What should I do?!?! Any advice?

2. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My personal opinion, I think u should start looking for a job. If not a pharm tech job, then try being a pharm clerk or sometimes they call it a pharmacy assistant. Another job u might try is what they call pharmacy typiest. Pharmacy typiest are allowed to type new prescriptions and take prescription refills, but unlike a tech, are not allowed to touch the medication. I know many pharmacy schools are big on experience. It will help u to answer some interview question too just incase they might ask u questions like, is there anything in pharmacy that u do not like or what do u see are some of the biggest challenges to the pharmacy profession.

U might also want to take more upper divisional classes at a junior college or some 4 year university that are pharmacy related like microbiology or immunology, which are usually not a prequiste for pharmacy school but would show them that u are highly qualified student. Make sure u keep on raising ur gpa, especially ur science gpa.

Prepare to answer this question on ur essay or at an interview just in case they ask this, "since u didn't get in last year, why should we take u this year," or alternatively, "what have u done to improve ur application since last year."

U also should think about turning in ur application a little bit earlier. I know if u wait until the last minute, it is very difficult to get an interview spot. I am pretty sure that is the reason why I got rejected from UOP. I waited until the very last day to send in my application. So u might want to start filling out applications either late summer or early Sept.

Recommendation. Get good letter of recs, not from professors who know u got an A. They can tell that from ur transcripts. But professors who can testify to u as a person. Especially get one from a pharmacist, especially one who is an alumni of the school u want to go to. My pharmacist knew me on a personal level and since he also went to usc, knew what they were looking for in an applicant. My best recommendation, get one from a science professor who can testify to ur knowledge in the science courses. Get one from a pharmacist who can testify to ur ability to become a pharmacist. Get one from a manager who can best testify to ur work ethics and character.

Visits. Arrange visits to the schools u really want to go to. Show them u took time to look at their campus and tell them why u want to go to their school. What part of the school that is unique that makes u want to . For example, usc is big on community service and block curriculum. If u tell usc, yes i went to visit ur campus and I love how u guys give back to the community, it shows the admission officers that u really want to come to this school.

Expand ur application pool. In other words be flexible. In all honesty, I applied to 10 schools and got rejected from almost all of them. Towards the end, I knew I should of applied to more. Apply to some top tier schools, some middle, and some bottom. You will never know which schools will take u and which will reject u. Apply in state, out of state, private, public. But above all, apply to as many as u can. I know it will cost a lot of money, but in the end, is a few hundred dollars for more applications worth another year of ur life. And think about it, every year u are not in pharmacy school, is another year u did not make 100K. So in the end, a few hundred dollars for extra application is nothing.

Hope this helps. I can't gurantee u will make it into the school u want, but I can gurantee u that if u keep on working at it, u will get into some pharmacy school eventually. Good luck.

3. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for your advice. I know I made some of the same mistakes as you (ie. Applying to UOP too late) I know I did a lot right too... (pharmacist letter of rec, volunteer experience in pharmacy) I feel like it is a crap shoot at this point whether I get into U Buffalo and U Maryland or not. My biggest beef though is that I have all that science experience in all those odd courses.. microbio, neuroscience, evolution, ect. and I will have a B.S from a tough school. And, I don't care what pharmacy school I get in... I just want to get in to ONE! I will expand my prereqs at night school if i dont' get in this year (A& P, Biochem ect) But I can't see taking those irrelevant prereqs some schools request......(public speaking? I was only going to take that if I got into UOP first.... why spend 300 bucks to take such a dumb course?) Thank you for the suggestions on other jobs.. I never heard of pharmacy typist! I will def look into that.

4. gdk420

gdk420 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Also you probably have to consider expanding ur application pool. For sure, include more private schools. Publics schools are mandated to take a majority of the students from their state into their school. Certain schools like USC and Creighton could care less where u come from, as long as u have the numbers and are willing to pay. Four or five schools is not enough I feel. I think the minium should be at least ten schools.

Public speaking- try taking this class at a junior college. It is much cheaper and it is not that important of a class when they consider ur application. Unlike the other prerequiste such as organic chemistry and biology, which carries a much bigger weight. The reason why public speaking is required is because you would have to give many presentations to ur classmates, preceptors, professors, and doctors. I know at usc, starting third year, more of the exams become oral instead of just pure writing. They want to make sure that u not only know the facts, but how to communicate them to ur specific audience.

Try finishing up all of the pharmacy prerequiste before u apply, it looks better, even if it is stupid public speaking.

It's not just the number of volunteer hours, but the quality of the volunteership. I know I got more from volunteering as a pharmacy typiest than some people who just work as a tech and filled all day.

5. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

On a different note: Has anyone gotten rejections from Buffalo or Maryland yet? The waiting is driving me nuts.

6. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I received a rejection from UM last month.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I recieved my rejection letter today :(

8. shal

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Leah - I am so sorry to hear that. Have you tried calling the universities to find out why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Shal, No I havn't yet, but I plan on it. Although I suspect I will get the same old response... too many applicants, many qualified applicants, apply earlier ect. ect. ect. It is just a discouraging experience. I'm not looking forward to applying to pharmacy related jobs now either.... I am guessing that it is going to be competitive to apply to those jobs now too, because everyone that got rejected will have the same idea. It will just be a continuation of this train wreck... sigh.

10. shal

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Leah - I sent a PM. Also, you can try and find volunteer opportunities within a pharmacy and ask to shadow a pharmacist.

11. Leah27

Leah27 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i sent you one back.. thanks