Buffalo stats? Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanuckPAGirl

That girl needs therapy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting PA school in Buffalo this fall, my boyfriend is a premed, graduating Cornell this year and aiming for 05 admissions. His cummulative gpa should be about a 3.5. Not that competitive I know. He's been an EMT for three years, volunteered at a hospital, done research, shadowed a cardiologist, lots of extra currics. He's taking the August MCAT. Even worse for rolling admis... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He should be able to score at least a 32 I think. He's a smart lad, just lazy as hell.

I really want him us to be able to stay close together, so I hope he can get in at either Buffalo or Rochester. We've already been long distance for 4 years, I finally moved to be with him, I don't want it to go back, we'd probably break up :(
It seems that med school is a it of a crapshoot though... :rolleyes:

Anyone accepted to these schools? What were your stats? I just want to see how much hope we've got here...

Sorry if this post is in anyway obnoxious or misplaced.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be attending rochester and my stats can be found in my mdapplicants profile by clicking below.

I'm also starting at Rochester this fall... 33 MCAT, 3.51 GPA (Duke). I think they're one school in particular that will definitely be willing to overlook numbers to some degree if your application has other highlights to it, such as great letters or a great personal statement or just interesting extracurriculars. Of the schools I interviewed at, I'd say they seemed to be one of the least numbers-oriented places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Very encouraging information.

I'm scanning through all these profiles on mdapplicant, how does one get rejected post secondary with such high grades? is there something horribly wrong with their application I see some have 3.9, 38 MCAT and don't even receive interviews! Wow! How does that happen?

CanuckPAGirl said:
Thanks guys. Very encouraging information.

I'm scanning through all these profiles on mdapplicant, how does one get rejected post secondary with such high grades? is there something horribly wrong with their application I see some have 3.9, 38 MCAT and don't even receive interviews! Wow! How does that happen?
Some of these people probably had very bad personal statements, or other aspects of their application that the adcom felt would not go well with Rochester. They look at the whole picture. Numbers are important, but not everything.

Is your BF a NY resident? If so, Buffalo is probably a good bet. (Though not a promise) My stats (Aug MCAT) were 3.84 and 30 mcat (tons of research, great LORs, working in medical school) and I was accepted after waitlist to Buffalo, and am still waitlist at Rochester, Upstate, and StonyBrook. I think A LOT depends on where your app lands in the pile, who reads it, your LORs, your interview...really, very much "crap shoot".
Best of luck to you both!