Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Buffalo Waitlist Starting To Move!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hmno82, Apr 1, 2004.

1. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I HAVE SOME NEWS:

Called Buffalo today and found out that they will be offering 10-15 spots in their class to people ON THE WAITLIST in the next 2 weeks! Even though I'm not even close to the top 15, it's still exciting to see the list MOVE! Maybe all those people on the top of the waitlist found other places to go!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PsychoLulu

PsychoLulu Member
    7+ Year Member

Really? Really really? Any idea how many ppl are on the waitlist in total? Also, did they mention if those 15-20 spots are the ONLY ones they are releasing, or will there be more?? Ack, I should just grow a pair and call myself already......

P.S. I personally know 1 person who's near the top of the waitlist, but will definately be going elsewhere.... Dunno if that person is still on the list or not, but it's hopefully either way!

4. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

All Mr Rosso said was that they weren't able to fill the class, so they are moving to the waitlist as soon as he and Dean Severin evaluate the list. By evaluation I think they mean that they will be dividing the group into thirds. From what I've read in posts last year, they have about 200 on the alternate list.

5. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, and I'msure there will be more, but 10-15 will be offered right from the start. Most likely, the people that were ranked so highly on this list have been accepted to other schools. If many of these people decline then we could have some serious movement soon! I'm hoping anyway. :clap:

6. ventulus18

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    lets hear it for suny movement:clap: :clap: :clap:

7. bufer1

bufer1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know how much movement UB typically gets? Mr. Rosso placed me on the "Middle of the Highest tier"--- any idea as to the size of the tiers, if they select strictly based on ranking, of their history of past WL's?

8. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When I spoke to Mr Rosso a few months ago, I got the impression that most of the high priority got in. I was on the low part of the high list and was told I would get in eventually.

bonnie

9. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think they have about 200 people on the alternate list, and last year they got to the middle of the bottom 1/3. So that would be about 133 people they took off the list. They told me that I was at the VERY bottom of the top 1/3, but last year everyone got a letter in April describing their position, so look for that letter!

10. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called UB again today and THE LIST IS SET! It has been evaluated and everyone has been assigned to a third of the waitlist. We can only move up from here! The secretary can give you this info now. She told me that I made it to the top 1/3. I know of two other people on the list that are in the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3. Last year they got through the top third by mid May. Hope you all have good news too when you call!

11. hsouth

hsouth Member
    7+ Year Member

I am SO happy to see this thread! :) I called on 3/29 and was told that I am in the middle of the top 1/3rd, but that 22 more people were expected to interview on 3/31. I guess I should call back and find out where I fall. This waiting is killing me! Best of luck to you all! If you hear anything let us know!

~Hilary

Interviewed: U Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Stony Brook
    Waitlisted: U Rochester, Buffalo, Upstate
    And waiting, and waiting, and waiting

12. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's great news! I wouldn't think that you'd be bumped down too much, but let us know when you hear anything. Definitely reply to the post when you get a call from UB so we can figure out what part of the list they are pulling people from.

13. mrcool

mrcool Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

yes i called and found out that they are mailing out final decisions on monday -- i guess for those who havent heard back from their interview yet and some pepes on the waitlist.

14. hsouth

hsouth Member
    7+ Year Member

I called today and the secretary told me top third, nothing specific as to where in the top third, so I'm hoping that my "middle" position still holds. I doubt I moved too much with the last 22 interviewees. Since I haven't gotten accepted elsewhere (and ROchester won't even give me a clue as to where I stand) I guess I should start really thinking that I will more than likely be moving to Buffalo in July/Aug. I hope so at least! I really liked UB, actually much better than the other SUNYs.
    I was wondering, what are all of your reasons for liking (AND disliking) UB? Why would you choose UB over another NY school? Why would you choose another NY school over UB?

What I like about UB: Price! Seems really laid back, like new cirriculum, profs seemed really into working WITH students/accesible, current students really happy, decent facilities, non-competitive attitude, decent match list

Like and dislike: The fact that there are like 9 hospitals associated with the school insead of the regular one or two. Also, I didn't get to talk to any 3rd or 4 th year students to get their impression of the school, Buffalo itself (like that it's very affordable, like and dislike that it's a totally new place to me)

What do the rest of you think?

~Hilary

15. ek6

ek6 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think there's THAT much of a difference between the SUNY's. To me, it's just all about location. Stony Brook apparently is a little more prestigious - but nothing that would affect your decision so much.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind about Buffalo, however, is that their classes get out at 12:00. Apparently, the student body there has done a fine job of seeing to it that they don't waste away so much of their lives in lecture. You can check out their website to confirm this. It'd be nice if any current Buffalo students could confirm this too!

16. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, we are out by noon ALMOST always. We have a clinical skills class every other Monday (1-4 pm). The 8-12 lectures are often broken up by pbl cases, so you are not necessarily in lecture for that full four hours. It's pretty laid back.

I can say that I had no intention of ending up at Buffalo when I was applying, but I got a really good impression of the school on interview day. Now that I am here, I am really glad that I chose UB...its a good place to be.

hsouth, I am not in my clinical years yet, but I kind of see the 9 hospitals as an advantage (although I can see the disadvantage aspect of it, too). More diverse experience, fewer students around=more action per student, etc. Think about it, as the only med school in Buffalo, we have run of pretty much every hospital, clinic, and office in the area.

17. Zweihander

Zweihander Billygoat Gruff
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Good luck to all of you on the list. This thing really moves -- I was on the middle third last year and I was accepted sometime in late May/early June.

peace

18. ek6

ek6 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

8-noon lectures almost always...tough to beat that, at least with the other schools that I'm in. UB's lookin' good to me. When people are complaining about the snow...I'll be on my way out to the park on my nordics.

Anyway, keep the messages flowing - I'm on the "bottom portion of the top third" and am eager to hear from them as well.

...I'm liking this new SDN design

19. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

YEY!!! I hope that movement this year is similar to last year (it would be awesome to find out before graduation). Does anyone know if they had the same difficulty filling their class last year? This year they had 10-15 spots in their class left open at the start of April.

20. czarbasch

czarbasch Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a UB undergrad and UB is my first choice (I?m currently in the top 1/3 of the waitlist). When I first applied I really thought about going somewhere besides Buffalo because I have been here my whole life. However after interviewing at the other SUNYs I honestly think UB is one of the best because of its curriculum, its 8-12 classes, the research opportunities and the opportunities available at the various hospitals. UB is affiliated with Roswell Park Cancer Institute and UB also has the new bioinformatics center opening really soon.

Compared to the other three SUNYs, Buffalo is a good place to live. Downstate offers too much city life, Upstate not enough and Stony Brook has no city life. I like Buffalo because it is not too big and not too small. It offers all the cultural life, nightlife, music, art and other entertainment of a big city but its small enough that you can leave the city very easily and be surrounded by trees.

21. ek6

ek6 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, while we're on the topic of UB - I wanted to ask a question to any of you current UB folks out there.

I was wondering if you guys knew anyone in your class who is doing the military national guard program. I'm thinking about doing this - especially because I think balancing the weekend drills would be more doable with the lectures ending at noon, mostly. I know there are some people at UB who did the "full-fledged" military program, but wasn't aware if anyone was doing the nat'l guard early commissioning program. Thanks for any info. I guess I'll post this on the allopathic forum later as well.

22. Zweihander

Zweihander Billygoat Gruff
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

There's a military scholarship forum too that you can ask around on...

23. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called UB again today and they won't give me any information as to where on the waitlist they are pulling people from (except that they're in the top 1/3). So, if anyone has been pulled off can you please tell us what part of the top 1/3 you were on? Any other info is appreciated too!

24. czarbasch

czarbasch Member
    7+ Year Member

I recieved my letter today telling me that they updated the waitlist. However they didn't tell us in the letter how many people are on the revised list or where we rank on the list.

25. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called UB today, and they told me some terrible news. The rank that we were given a week ago is no longer valid. Since they shortened the waitlist, our rank has significantly dropped. They were giving us the rank info. based on the total number of people on the waitlist, rather than on the number of people they planned to have on their alternate list (the one in place now). I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, but as an example I was in the bottom of the top 1/3 a week ago, and I'm in the bottom of the middle 1/3 now. So, our wait is going to be a lot longer than we all thought. Sorry to have to bring you this news.

26. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    actually, your rank is exactly where it was before. It just sounds worse.

27. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, you're right from that angle, but all the information I have about a time frame for hearing from UB is based on the alternate list (the one we are on now). So last year everyone in the top 1/3 heard by mid May, and I thought this may happen to me this year because of what I was told last week. Now, since I"m on the bottom of the middle 1/3, I will be LUCKY to hear by the end of July if at all. That's why this drop is so horrible. Along with many other people, I was under the impression that our position on the waitlist (at least the 1/3 we were on) was solid last week, and I was wrong. It just sucks right now. :(

28. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Keep hope alive hmno82. I'm releasing my spot, so I hope that it goes to you. You deserve it. :)

29. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I appreciate your thoughts H&T. Good luck next year!

30. bufer1

bufer1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

called in today and they put me at the "top third", but wouldn't tell me where in that third... would it be safe for me to start looking into housing and other arrangements in buffalo and assume that the top third will be accepted?? I know it sounds presumptuous, but i really am going crazy not having a place to live next year yet!!

31. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I've read in the past 2 years of posts, you are almost guaranteed to get in. Don't get mad at me if you don't, but I highly doubt that they wouldn't get through at least the top 1/3 when last year they got through to the middle of the bottom 1/3. Maybe some veterans of the waitlist last year can comment further.

32. NikkiFSU

NikkiFSU Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I DON'T know how you guys do it. I lived in Rochester for 18 years and had to get out...I go to FSU (Go Noles) and I could never go back to Upstate NY...you guys are aware of the weather right? Like the lack of sunshine for weeks at a time and the blizzards....good med school but I hope you know what you're getting into

33. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think most of us from around here too (I am at least). The weather may suck, but umm... I guess there really isn't anything awesome about Buffalo. I just know I like it and I want to stay. The people are nice.

34. NikkiFSU

NikkiFSU Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, whereabouts are you from? Lake effect suckssssss in the ROC but Buffalo gets it bad. I still get my kicks calling up my friends back home to tell them how wonderful my tanlines are looking while they scrape the icy windshield...hahahahaha

You didn't get in U of R? It is a really good school, I worked in the neuropath lab last summer and damn I was impressed with their research

35. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm from Syracuse, and no, I didn't get into U of R. In fact, I was flat out rejected without an interview. I don't want to take out loans anyway though. If I go to a state school I'm debt free. Yey! Now I need to convince UB to take me off this darn list.

36. hsouth

hsouth Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello again from waitlist land :) I called Mr. Rosso at UB again today after seeing the changes in people's position from "waitlist" to "alternate list". Was told that I'm in the "upper, upper third", so that was good news. Hopefully I'll have some fantastic news to report soon. Does UB keep track of how many times you call? This was like my 4th total. I don't want them to think that I'm bothering them.
    I am willing to stay in NY because if I go to to state school it's cheap! And I didn't even get an interview out of state. I'd love to be some place warm, but at least I get all 4 seasons, and bad weather to complain about in the winter. It also makes me appreciate nice weather even more (and yes, I've lived upstate in Rochester for 5 years). I wouldn't mind staying IN Rochester at U of R, but who knows where I stand on that waitlist and I'm not sure that the extra $100 k is worth it. I really liked UB a lot and think I'd be happy there and isn't that what matters? :)

Good luck to all - I'll keep you updated!
    ~Hilary

37. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure if they keep track, but if they do I've probably taken up an entire drawer in their office. I'm just going to set up camp outside the admissions office until they let me in. :D

38. SwineLake98

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    While we're on the topic of UB, I still haven't heard anything since interviewing for the Early Assurance program on March 31. Seeing as I am only a soph and new to this whole interview game, does a three week delay = bad news? Don't they know when you leave on the interview day whether you're in or not for the most part? Do you think maybe the reason I haven't heard anything is because they're more concerned (an reasonably so) with filling the incomming class for this fall? (Sorry, i'm just getting kind of nervous/anxious here.) Should I call? :confused:

39. SwineLake98

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Scratch that, I called UB and then found that there was a letter at my house and I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :love:

40. prabhara

prabhara Member
    7+ Year Member

I called Buffalo yesterday and they told me i was in the middle third of the waitlist. I'm really hoping I get in! They also told me that they've already gone through "1 and a half pages" of the alternate list. I'm not exactly sure how far this extends into the waitlist, just thought I'd forward the info....

41. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I sat down with the Dean of Admissions this morning to discuss all of this. He told me a lot of great things. First, that I'm not at the bottom of the middle 1/3, more like the middle of the mid 1/3. He also told me that he doesn't think I should be too worried about getting in this year. Historically the middle 1/3 has never had a problem (ooo... I hope this year is the same). He said that he was nervous about rejecting anyone from bottom of the alternate list because they have had years where they have exhausted almost the entire list. He told me about OTHER schools that have actually had to call rejected applicants to ask if they would like to enroll because the list was not long enough. UB has a lot of turnover and most of it will occur in May, so there is hope for everyone!

42. czarbasch

czarbasch Member
    7+ Year Member

That's good news hmno82. Did Dr. Severin tell you how many people are on the waitlist or did he tell you how many people were already called off the waitlist?

Also has anyone been or know of someone who has been pulled off the UB waitlist already? Hopefully most of us will be accepted in May. It sucks interviewing in September and not getting in until a few months before classes start.

43. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The Dean didn't say anything about how many people were already taken off, but he said that 240 were on the list at first, and then later he said that there were 260. So, take your pick. They interviewed 465 people and had ~2300 applicants. He said that by the end of the season they usually take in 2+ spots per person in their class. Some things were said that made me think that most of this number is from the waitlist alone, but I could be very wrong. The Dean said that I might be able to find out in June, but obviously nothing is for sure.

44. prabhara

prabhara Member
    7+ Year Member

whats up everyone? does anyone know where buffalo is on the waitlist??

45. bufer1

bufer1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was told they are at the middle of te highest tier... good luck

46. hsouth

hsouth Member
    7+ Year Member

NO word here. :( Do you think they'll call or send a letter or what? I know that after June it's call only (and if they don't get you, you're screwed), but for now I assume they'll send a letter...it's still not the 15th, so I have a feeling there'll be much more movement at the end of the month.

~H

47. Fusion

Fusion Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What kind of numbers are needed for out-of-state applicants to get an interview at UB?

48. Laz

Laz Member
    7+ Year Member

I am an out of stater... dont have great stats (26MCAT, 3.9GPA, small non prestigious undergrad) but I did get an interview at Buffalo and was put on the waitlist (middle 1/3 is what they told me).. so i dont know if im just lucky or what :)

I did feel like both my interviews that day went really well, and one of my interviewers said I had great LOR's. Plus I had a few good ec's so Im sure that helped. Good Luck!

49. DrKram20

DrKram20 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm assuming that you're going to release your Upstate acceptance if you get into UB?? I'm on the Upstate waitlist, so I'm pulling for you at UB :laugh: Anyone else develping an ulcer with these damn waitlists? And anyone have any info on the Upstate waitlists?????????

50. hsouth

hsouth Member
    7+ Year Member

BIG news everyone - I'M IN!!!!
    :)
    Letter came today! Guess it's official - waitlist IS moving!

~Hilary

51. history _ice

history _ice Member
    10+ Year Member

hsouth,

CONGRATS!!!!

I have a few questions
    where on the waiting list were you, and did they just send a letter, or did they also email or call you. I'm told that i am in the bottom of the upper third so i just want to know how long i have to wait.

~ICE