Buffalo Waitlist Starting To Move!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm. that's interesting. i was told i was at the top of the middle third and i haven't heard a word from them yet. i actually called the other day and was told that maybe i'd hear in a week or so. i wonder if all of my calling annoyed them enough to bump me down on the list. :eek:

on the bright side, when i asked if the list was still moving she told me that they're sending letters out everyday.

Members don't see this ad.

The secretary told me they were only sending out a couple a week. I wish we could all get the same answer on this stuff. Let us know if you hear anything!

my letter came! i was in the top of the middle third so they're definitely moving!

i hope you all get your letters soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
May I be the first SDNer to say CONGRATS!! :)
~H

CONGRATULATIONS!

When was the last time you were told your position on the waitlist? It's wierd that you were in the top of the middle 1/3 and they told me that they were pulling from the middle of the middle 1/3. I'm just trying to figure out where the communication went wrong. :)

Thanks and CONGRATS AGAIN!

thanks hsouth and hmno82!!!

here's what i think happened with the miscommunication. i've called them about every other week and each time they said i was in the top of the middle third. about 2 1/2 weeks ago they said it was the first day the were moving into the middle third and that i should hear soon. i called again this past tuesday and the woman in admissions said i was "very very very close to the top of the list" and that i should hear soon. that was the 8th and my letter was dated the 9th. so i think that when you (hmno82) called they had already moved into the middle of the middle third but i hadn't received my letter yet. also, they only gave me one week to decide but a friend of mine was accepted from the first tier and had at least 2 weeks to decide. so maybe the list will move faster now!!

hsouth--are you definitely going to UB?

hmno82--i think you'll definitely hear soon!! i'm hoping you do since it seems like you really want to go! good luck

Thanks for the info. I hope that they get to my part too. They told me all along that I was top third. I called every 2 weeks since October, and then suddenly in April I was knocked all the way down into the second half of the middle third. I tried to get an answer as to how that would happen, but after speaking with the Dean I only felt more confused. Oh, well... life is full of ups and downs I guess (literally in this case).

Do you think you'll be at UB in the fall?

yeah, i'm definitely going to buffalo. it was my last hope for med school this year and i'm psyched it worked out. i actually fell in love with the school when i went up there for my interview.

I spoke with Mr. Rosso today to get things straightened out and he said what I feared the most... "we're in the upper portion of the middle third and we're moving very slowly." Just thought I'd let ya all know. :(

That's depressing news. I was hoping to hear w/i the next two weeks. Starting June 21 when they start calling people do you have to decide at that precise moment? Maybe things will move faster then:)

Also has anyone heard anything about financial aid?

I got accepted last month, and i received my financial aid letter in the mail just this past week. All I got were my loans amounts. There is also this scholarship committee , but i don't know if that is the same as financial aid.

Be prepared to wait if you fill out the scholarship application. I applied as soon as they sent the letters out back in march, and still have not heard. After talking to some others, it seems that no one has received a decision as of yet. It would be nice if they would let us know before school started. I've asked repeatedly, and everytime they just say "decisions will be made shortly"

Hey hmno2, What happened to your update? Any news? What part of that waitlist are they on now?
Hope you get in soon......

Good Luck Everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Laz said:
That's depressing news. I was hoping to hear w/i the next two weeks. Starting June 21 when they start calling people do you have to decide at that precise moment? Maybe things will move faster then:)

Also has anyone heard anything about financial aid?

When I sat down with the Dean and Mr. Rosso they told me that the procedure after June 21st is this:

1. They will call you and try to offer an acceptance.
2. If they cannot reach you, they will start calling those that you have designated (you can designate one person as your "power of authority" who can accept on your behalf... you can name any amount of people that can be called by UB "to be notified of an important issue regarding your status UB med", BUT those people must spend the rest of the day trying to get in touch with you or your power of authority and they do not have the ability to accept for you)
3. They cannot leave an acceptance on an answering machine, but they will say that "you need to call UB because there is an important issue regarding your status"
4. Once they have called you (left a message or actually talked with you), you have until the end of the business day to give them an answer. If they call in the afternoon, you have until the next morning to give a responce.

Hopefully this means that some life will be pumped into the waitlist movement again.

Oh, for KNightinBlue... I have not called again, so I'm not sure if they've moved at all. Are you on the waitlist too? Thanks for your thoughts.

hmno82 said:
When I sat down with the Dean and Mr. Rosso they told me that the procedure after June 21st is this:

1. They will call you and try to offer an acceptance.
2. If they cannot reach you, they will start calling those that you have designated (you can designate one person as your "power of authority" who can accept on your behalf... you can name any amount of people that can be called by UB "to be notified of an important issue regarding your status UB med", BUT those people must spend the rest of the day trying to get in touch with you or your power of authority and they do not have the ability to accept for you)
3. They cannot leave an acceptance on an answering machine, but they will say that "you need to call UB because there is an important issue regarding your status"
4. Once they have called you (left a message or actually talked with you), you have until the end of the business day to give them an answer. If they call in the afternoon, you have until the next morning to give a responce.

Hopefully this means that some life will be pumped into the waitlist movement again.

Oh, for KNightinBlue... I have not called again, so I'm not sure if they've moved at all. Are you on the waitlist too? Thanks for your thoughts.
I haven't applied yet, I apply this year. But a good friend of mine is on the waitlist and she is literally going crazy. Atleast you have an acceptance. This is her only waitlist...

Damn! The tension on this thread can literally be felt all the way here in Ohio.

I hope all goes well for everyone on this thread; especially hmno. Your avatar is cool! :thumbup:

Hey everyone! I used to get emails saying that this thread has been posted to, but apparently not any more so I'm a little behind.

Peanut - Yup, I'm definitely going to UB. Finace and I are putting in an offer on a house tomorrow in Cheektowaga, so we definitely have to live in Buffalo for the next 4 years! Now we have to find a place to live until we can move into the house in Sept.

I just realized that I didn't write back to the scholarship committee. Da*nit! I got my offer on May 6th and they said a month, right? Think it's too late? I've just been a mess with a big trip this month for a science meeting, my wedding, searching for a house, work etc. that it slipped my mind. Who would I call at UB to ask? Mr Rosso?

For the rest of you waiting - hang in there! If it's meant to be, it'll happen! :)

~Hsouth

When I received my letter from UB indicating that I was on the "alternate list", there was no mention of the "thirds portions" of the list. I only found out about it threw a colleague who currently attends UB. Given some of the discrepancies about the actual positions of the list-- and how they are not exactly 'real'-- do you think it would behoove me to call up (or email) and find out my status; especially given the impending big day TOMORROW!!!

jopdo said:
When I received my letter from UB indicating that I was on the "alternate list", there was no mention of the "thirds portions" of the list. I only found out about it threw a colleague who currently attends UB. Given some of the discrepancies about the actual positions of the list-- and how they are not exactly 'real'-- do you think it would behoove me to call up (or email) and find out my status; especially given the impending big day TOMORROW!!!
Without a doubt, call them. There are ppl on this thread who have called virtually every week. It certainly doesn't hurt to know where you stand.
As for the 'annoyance' factor, they must get a 100s of calls, I highly doubt they'd get annoyed by one more.

Good Luck

jopdo said:
do you think it would behoove me to call up (or email) and find out my status; especially given the impending big day TOMORROW!!!

sure give them a call, why not? and... what is tomorrow?

jopdo said:

why not? i sent an LOI and i was accepted 2 or 3 weeks later. i'm not sure how much it will influence them though. when i found out i was on the alternate list they said that the rankings were set and that it was just a matter of waiting to see how many people withdrew and if they'd get to your spot on the list. they said not to send things like LORs and stuff. but i can't see how expressing interest would hurt. definitely call! they seem to give up little snippets of info every now and then about how far away you are.

good luck to everyone with the direct phone calls!!! stay by your phones!

Hey hmno82, I am still cheering for you. If anyone deserves to get in, it's you.

czarbasch said:
Hey hmno82, I am still cheering for you. If anyone deserves to get in, it's you.
I second that.

KNightInBlue said:
I second that.

Thanks guys! I found out some good news today! I talked with Mr. Rosso and he said "My prediction is that we'll be into the middle of the middle third by Thursday." I hope that nothing slows the list down, but I guess we'll see. I'm in the lowest portion of the middle section of the middle third, so maybe in July I'll hear some awesome news! I'll keep you all posted!

peanut99 said:
why not? i sent an LOI and i was accepted 2 or 3 weeks later. i'm not sure how much it will influence them though. when i found out i was on the alternate list they said that the rankings were set and that it was just a matter of waiting to see how many people withdrew and if they'd get to your spot on the list. they said not to send things like LORs and stuff. but i can't see how expressing interest would hurt. definitely call! they seem to give up little snippets of info every now and then about how far away you are.

good luck to everyone with the direct phone calls!!! stay by your phones!
Thanks for the encouragement. I tend to be a little hesitant about coming off too pushy , i.e. giving them a call... Anyhow, I will call. Just a quick question about your acronym: LOI. What is that? Letter of ????? Sorry, if I seem so in the dark. Thanks again.

IceKid said:
sure give them a call, why not? and... what is tomorrow?
Tomorrow/ now today, is the day that they "officially" start to call back people on the waitlist.

KNightInBlue said:
But a good friend of mine is on the waitlist and she is literally going crazy. Atleast you have an acceptance. This is her only waitlist...

Oh my..just like me....send me her user ID - maybe we can pull out our hair together! :(

hmno82 said:

Is that true? They can leave a message that they've called? I thought Mr. Rosso said that the just hang up and aren't allowed to leave any message at all!

Sidenote: When I called, I keep on getting confused and calling him Mr. R U sso instead of R O sso...(yeah, I'm an idiot :rolleyes: ).Thankfully, only the secretary heard and corrected me - hope it doesn't piss them off tho!

jopdo said:
Thanks for the encouragement. I tend to be a little hesitant about coming off too pushy , i.e. giving them a call... Anyhow, I will call. Just a quick question about your acronym: LOI. What is that? Letter of ????? Sorry, if I seem so in the dark. Thanks again.

sorry, LOI=letter of intent. i just said that i would definitely go to ub if i got in off the waiting list. it was my only waitlist, but i figured i'd leave that part out. :) i'm proof that there's definitely hope for people with only one waitlist!

i'm pulling for you all still waiting! i know how much it sucks

As info for all of you, I received the call today (monday, June 21). It was Mr. Rosso and he left a message saying that I have been offered a spot and that "it is policy" that I call back to let them know before 5:00 or else my offer will be withdrawn. Just wanted to let you all know since this is a very active thread! Good luck to all.

ek6 said:
As info for all of you, I received the call today (monday, June 21). It was Mr. Rosso and he left a message saying that I have been offered a spot and that "it is policy" that I call back to let them know before 5:00 or else my offer will be withdrawn. Just wanted to let you all know since this is a very active thread! Good luck to all.
Holy poop!

That's kinda scary. :scared: :eek:

It's almost like the medical schools are fly-fishing in the waitlist-pool now...

ek6 said:

What did you do? Did you accept? Just curious.

jopdo said:
What did you do? Did you accept? Just curious.

It was a touch decision! In the end, I called them literally at 4:55 and left a message declining the offer. So be prepared for the "call back by 5:00" policy if you get the call. Good luck to the rest of you. There were definitely a lot of things I liked about UB.

ek6 said:
It was a touch decision! In the end, I called them literally at 4:55 and left a message declining the offer. So be prepared for the "call back by 5:00" policy if you get the call. Good luck to the rest of you. There were definitely a lot of things I liked about UB.

Thanks for your candor ek6. I spoke with Mr. Rosso about my waitlist status on Monday. I am in the upper portion of the lower third of the list. I am accepted at UMDNJ(Osteo) and don't know what I will do if UB accepts me. The decision is hard because, while I am interested in Buffalo as a school and place to live, UMDNJ has offered me a position (only offered to six others in the entering class) in their PBL (Problem Based Learning) curriculum. This means that all the science and learning I will do is "case based". And, all of the learning is done in seminar fashion-- NO LECTURES, however I can attend any and all the lectures that I want to provided they don't interfere with the small group seminars. This seems like a pretty cool opportunity, but I am concerned about the riskiness of a DO degree v. an MD degree. ANY OPINIONS OUT THERE???

For those of you considering a SUNY school, just be aware that our wonderful state has proposed yet another tuition hike for medical students. This would be the 5th tuition hike in 5 years. They are trying to push the cost up to $20,000 a year. It's actually getting to the point where private schools don't look like such a bad idea

shwtime11 said:
For those of you considering a SUNY school, just be aware that our wonderful state has proposed yet another tuition hike for medical students. This would be the 5th tuition hike in 5 years. They are trying to push the cost up to $20,000 a year. It's actually getting to the point where private schools don't look like such a bad idea
Yeppers, the same happened for me in California. Now I'm in Ohio doing the Medical School thing, because it's cheaper, plus a set of other reasons...

:thumbup:

shwtime11 said:
It's actually getting to the point where private schools don't look like such a bad idea
Plus Private schools have better sounding names. :D ;) :laugh:

Harvard vs. New Jersey Med
Yale vs. East Tennessee State
Stanford vs. North Eastern Ohio Universities

:idea: :confused: :idea: :confused: maybe? ;)

Any news on the ol' UB WL? Would love to know...

shwtime11 said:
and thats just for in-staters............wonder how much it is now for out-of-staters.....

I believe it's $34,000 or $36,000.....I can't remember what the article said

jopdo said:
Any news on the ol' UB WL? Would love to know...

If you're interested, give them a call and ask for Mr. Rosso. I only call on Monday's, and sometimes I don't post if there isn't anything exciting happening. They would get really annoyed if I called any more than that. They know who I am now. :laugh:

hmno82, What are your reasons for wanting to attend SUNY Buffalo instead of SUNY Upstate? I notice that you are from Buffalo, but are there other reasons? Is it curriculum? Rotation schedules? Residency Placement?

hmno82 said:
If you're interested, give them a call and ask for Mr. Rosso. I only call on Monday's, and sometimes I don't post if there isn't anything exciting happening. They would get really annoyed if I called any more than that. They know who I am now. :laugh:

Hi hmno82, Thanks for the advice. I think I will follow your lead and follow the one call/week rule. I already called this Monday to find out where they were at. Just wanted to know if there was any movement among our colleagues. I figure that they have to probably move down the list an applicant/day. Mr. Rosso wouldn't give me the quantity of people on the WL. I am guestimating about 20 or 30 to a "third".

Umi said:
hmno82, What are your reasons for wanting to attend SUNY Buffalo instead of SUNY Upstate? I notice that you are from Buffalo, but are there other reasons? Is it curriculum? Rotation schedules? Residency Placement?

I'm getting married after my second year to someone in Buffalo. That's the main reason why I want UB over Upstate.

jopdo said:
Hi hmno82, Thanks for the advice. I think I will follow your lead and follow the one call/week rule. I already called this Monday to find out where they were at. Just wanted to know if there was any movement among our colleagues. I figure that they have to probably move down the list an applicant/day. Mr. Rosso wouldn't give me the quantity of people on the WL. I am guestimating about 20 or 30 to a "third".

I know that there are about 240-260 people on the waitlist, so about 80-87 people per third. If they're getting into the middle portion then they should have taken about 110 people off already, maybe more. If they're only calling one person a day then we're in trouble. :(

hmno82 said:
I know that there are about 240-260 people on the waitlist, so about 80-87 people per third. If they're getting into the middle portion then they should have taken about 110 people off already, maybe more. If they're only calling one person a day then we're in trouble. :(

If those numbers are correct and my assumption is correct about one call/day, then we are in trouble. I am in the "top of the bottom third" as Mr. Rosso told me. It seems like you have more of an 'insiders take' than I have. Maybe you can use your magic to figure out if they do indeed make more than one call per day. But, come to think of it, it is probably more logical that they make more than one/day, but on a more hit & miss basis. Would love more speculation. Good luck to all.

hmno82 said:
I'm getting married after my second year to someone in Buffalo. That's the main reason why I want UB over Upstate.

hmno82, This is a very good reason...best of luck to you. Perhaps we will be classmates in the fall!

Umi said:
hmno82, This is a very good reason...best of luck to you. Perhaps we will be classmates in the fall!

I really really hope so! We'll see what happens in July. When were you accepted (and CONGRATS)!?

hmno82 said:
I really really hope so! We'll see what happens in July. When were you accepted (and CONGRATS)!?

I was very fortunate to have been accepted on October 17th. Keep the faith...there is still a whole month for waitlist movement to occur, and don't worry...you are into medical school SOMEWHERE, so you will have your M.D. in four years regardless! :thumbup:

Just called the office. The secretary said they are in the lower of the middle third! Hopefully we'll be hearing sometime soon.....