Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBlaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How necessary is having a car as a Buffalo dental student? Do most students have a car?
Also, how are the grad apartments offered by Buffalo? Which ones are the best to live in? Do most dental schools live on or off campus?

Members don't see this ad.

All of these questions will be answered for you on the orientation website, which has a forum board as well if you still have questions

How necessary is having a car as a Buffalo dental student? Do most students have a car?
Also, how are the grad apartments offered by Buffalo? Which ones are the best to live in? Do most dental schools live on or off campus?

Hey, did you decide to go to Buffalo?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey man a car is definitely not needed if you live in the apartments on campus (South Lake, Hadley, or Flint on North Campus)...The buses run frequently so it's not a problem going from one campus to the other. The apartments are really nice (the ones I mentioned above) and are furnished as well. I think most of the students probably live off campus since it is much cheaper (almost half the cost of one of the on campus apartments) but the houses don't come furnished and might not be as nice as the apartments. Hope this helps!

Having a car is very very convenient just for getting to school, to the grocery, to social events and going to lab after hours when there is a practical coming up or a project due. If you can afford to get one, do it.

Most people do not live on campus because the graduate campus housing is on north campus (~20 min away) and runs literally double what you will pay to live in an apartment with a roommate closer to campus. Find someone who needs a roommate on facebook or something and try to coordinate a living situation. Even if it doesn't work out after first year at least you will have been close to school and in a far more affordable and convenient living situation.

But isnt the south area (closer to the dental school) more dangerous and more risky to live? which apartments on campus are recommended to live in?

Immediately around campus (like across the street, south of campus) are not favourable areas to live, but travel slightly north and west of the school and you will be in much safer areas and still maintain proximity. On and around Hertel avenue is where a lot of my classmates live as well as living off of kenmore (check it out on a map). I understand being apprehensive about living near to school if you don't know the area but I lived very close to north campus my first year and it was a pain in the you know what to go to school with traffic/snow/late nights. It also made it hard to be social and go to after class happy hours etc etc. I moved way closer to school for my 2nd year (~7 min commute) and it is infinitely better

thanks anatty,
so living off campus you definitely need a car to get around?

Can any current students give advice on to what area is preferred to look at for off campus housing? I have only really heard about elmwood village for the most part but will be coming up there the first week of February to meet will a realtor to see some places and would like to just be pointed in the right direction with regards to an area not far from school, other students close by, access to food and essential etc.. any help would be appreciated.

I am interested in university court. Appears to be walking distance from the school and they are one bedroom apartments. Any reviews? Thoughts?

I'm also interested in getting a 2 bedroom place off campus in Amherst, if anyone has any recommendations on where to look or what to spend.

I'm also interested in getting a 2 bedroom place off campus in Amherst, if anyone has any recommendations on where to look or what to spend.
That's a really nice area. Prob 900 ish for a 2 bedroom. I'm gonna get a box of a place. Don't need a 2 bedroom.

Can any current students give advice on to what area is preferred to look at for off campus housing? I have only really heard about elmwood village for the most part but will be coming up there the first week of February to meet will a realtor to see some places and would like to just be pointed in the right direction with regards to an area not far from school, other students close by, access to food and essential etc.. any help would be appreciated.

Williamsville is a very nice area (close to walmart, aldi, bestbuy etc), as long as you don't mind 20 minue ish commute to South campus.

Is there an orientation website available now? I remember hearing something about a website that will have housing options during my interview.

Many students live in North Buffalo off of Hertel or off of Kenmore, you can find a decently sized 2 br for around 700-800 dollars in a safe neighbourhood that is about a 6 min drive to campus. Believe me you will not want to commute 20 min first year (I lived 20 min away and moved closer as soon as I had the chance)

Some people do live in Williamsville but they tend to be native buffalonians still living at home to save $$ b/c rent out there is pricey since it's such a nice area.

Elmwood village is very nice as well, young vibe similar to Hertel but a little more removed from school.

Lots of people also live in Amherst, off of Niagara Falls Boulevard or off of Eggert, it's still close to school and pretty reasonably priced.

Many people with families (aka they care about the school district) live in Cheektowaga, also not too far a drive to school, maybe 10 min or so.

Hope that helped!

You can look into springville st., and callodine st. They are like a block or two away from campus and you wouldn't need to drive to school every day. Time saving is phenomenal.