This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Based on my situation, where do you think I should go, Buffalo or NYU?

• University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • New York University College of Dentistry

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

futuredentist1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow SDNers,

I know this question has been asked a lot in this forum and I have spent a lot of time reading carefully through every single one of them, yet I still can't make the decision. Something is still missing in my decision making, or may be I just want some personal advice, a personal re-assurance from you guys. Also, since I'm not an English native speaker, please let me apologize in advance if I express something not accurately or inappropriately.

From the information I've gathered here on SDN forum, I believe most people would recommend me to go to Buffalo due to cost. Because I'm an international student, I won't have the privilege to get loan or get the in-state residence tuition, thus the cost-of-attendance difference between the two is about 100,000-110,000$ over 4 years. I'm very fortunate that my parents will pay for all of my education, and they told me to not worry about the cost, and to go wherever that I can make the most out of my education. I know you may tell me that dental school outcome is depended on how much effort I invest in. I am the first generation of my family here in the US, and I will study hard no matter where I go and what I study, so that would not be a problem. I'm also ok with the weather from Buffalo (I've lived in Minnesota for 8 years). I also don't go out a lot either (I enjoy hang out with close friends). From what I read here, both schools are capable of producing competent dentists, thus to me, most of my concern is about the non-curriculum aspects about the schools

NYU: Most of my normal friends (I mean friends not in dentistry and non-SDNers) and family seems to really admire NYU. My friends from all over the world told me how well-known NYU is in their countries. Even in the US, I talked to my friendship family here and saw how excited they were hearing about NYU. One of my friends from the west coast even told me no one in California know about Buffalo thus getting dental job there is hard. I heard that graduating from NYU will give me a better opportunity to find jobs in the city. In addition, I also heard rumors that NYU kicks out their students in their 2nd or 3rd year. That makes me nervous a little, I want to study hard to become a great dentist, not to make sure I won't be kick out. I think being competitive is good, but competitive compared to my classmates in order to stay in the program is unhealthy. Also I'm not sure if I can make good friends being in the class size of 360 at NYU. I am an extremely friendly person. I smile and make friends, lots of friends wherever I go, however I want to make "good" friends for life in dental school.

Buffalo: The atmosphere I felt at Buffalo is very laid back, family type,which I really like. The day I went there I saw the students interacted with each other in sim-lab, saw the way they laugh and had fun while doing work with each other, it was amazing. I always told my parents that Buffalo school is well-established and has very solid program. If I go there, I feel I will become a competent dentist based on my personal experience with the school and from what I read here. The only concern I have with Buffalo is whether the "well-known" thing between the two schools will "ever" put me in disadvantage situations.

I'm aware that lots of what I wrote here is "I heard from this...I heard from that...", and I truly apologize if any information I provided are inaccurate. I understand that these non-curriculum aspects are rather vague, thus I need clarification from you guys (pre-dents, current students, practicing dentists). Every time I feel I'm sure about going to Buffalo, I start thinking about NYU, and vice versa, to the point that I paid deposits in both just to buy more time. However, the 2nd deposit at NYU is approaching and therefore I need to make the final decision.

I thank you so much for spending your valuable time reading my long post. Please help me, my family thank you and my future self thank you also

Best Regards

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if cost truly is not an issue...like not at all....come to NYU.

you'll get a great education here. cost is a hugeeeeeeee con. but, if it's not an issue i would pick NYU 100%

Reactions: 1 user
Choosing between NYU and Buffalo was the hardest decision I had to make. I was born and raised in the bronx and lived there for 24 years. My friends and family were there and I actually met my current gf year before that Dec 1st date. I had many firsts with her and she's a big part of my life.
Ultimately, I couldn't do the large class size and I really couldn't do the commute to NYU. Even going to see my gf downtown was draining than it use to be in my teens. The last thing I wanted to do was drag myself through the1 hour MTA commute after a long day at dental school and I was never one to study in the library. And I definitely couldn't do that for 4 years. The cost difference was really significant, and I went to an accountant and had the numbers done, down to the monthly payment in change, as well as 5-10-15 year payment schedules and interest accumulated. I couldn't stomach the living expenses if I decided to move closer to the school.

I eyeballed a place in dec near UB, 3442 main street. I couldn't shake the feeling of being across the street from the school, coming home for lunch breaks, going in late whenever I wanted to. Especially during the first two academic/lab heavy years. Not worrying about traffic, about delays or any other type of congestion. And to my luck, it was 15 minutes away from the airport. I had a very independent girlfriend that understood the sacrifice she was making and the one I was trying to do for our potential future. She encouraged me to go, as well as my friends and family, despite them preferring me to stay home. They definitely felt better when I had my monthly trips booked.

That huge convenience negated whatever exhaustion I felt from traveling. The trips are insanely fast. I simply just study in the air and most of the time its not enough because as soon as you're in the air, 20 minutes past and your desenting. I leave my car at buffalo airport and a bus picks me up as soon as I park my car. My flights back NYC were at 6:35pm on friday, I leave my house at 5:30-50. I also got TSA-precheck to avoid any hassles and congestions. Even without, I rarely waited at a buffalo airport. Its somehow always empty lol.

The trips home allowed me to recharge and give me a reminder on what I was fighting for. Dental school time goes by ridiculously fast. My gf came up one weekend to start and two towards the end a month. Its definitely doable. It all depends on the person and their ability to retain the material. nothing in dental school is hard really, just the volume of material.

Perhaps I typed up a bit too much, but you're in the same situation I was in and I really feel for you and your confusion at your cross road. I'm here in anyway you need. You're more than welcome to ask more questions. Buffalo has treated me with open arms. My class mates are nice, aside from a few knuckle heads. Teachers are nothing but supportive. And theres nothing better than having a cheaper loan release and seeing your apt in the distancesoon as you leave the dental school. I had Rutgers and Uconn to choose from too, but buffalo made me feel a bit warmer.

If your parents really want to help out, why not have them buy you a cheap condo here in buffalo? I wish I saved for one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your parents really want to help out, why not have them buy you a cheap condo here in buffalo? I wish I saved for one.

^Exactly, and then you can rent it out once you're done with dental school; incoming rental income!

Reactions: 2 users
^Exactly, and then you can rent it out once you're done with dental school; incoming rental income!

I'm a 2nd year student at UB. Going to UB vs going to NYU will have absolutely no impact on your future in terms of a "disadvantage". Pretty much all the 4th years that applied to their residency of choice got in this year. I got into 3 different schools (including chapel hill in NC which was hard to turn down as they only accept 5% out of state and was brand new) and chose UB mainly because my wife works at the VA here and loves her job so wanted her to have it a bit longer but I don't regret my choice at all. Also UB just got approved an 11 million dollar renovation and the preclinic and clinics will be completely redone (which of course will be done the year I graduate lol).

Reactions: 4 users
Going to UB vs going to NYU will have absolutely no impact on your future in terms of a "disadvantage".
QelDNW

Dear fellow SDNers,

NYU: Most of my normal friends (I mean friends not in dentistry and non-SDNers) and family seems to really admire NYU. My friends from all over the world told me how well-known NYU is in their countries. Even in the US, I talked to my friendship family here and saw how excited they were hearing about NYU. One of my friends from the west coast even told me no one in California know about Buffalo thus getting dental job there is hard. I heard that graduating from NYU will give me a better opportunity to find jobs in the city. In addition, I also heard rumors that NYU kicks out their students in their 2nd or 3rd year. That makes me nervous a little, I want to study hard to become a great dentist, not to make sure I won't be kick out. I think being competitive is good, but competitive compared to my classmates in order to stay in the program is unhealthy. Also I'm not sure if I can make good friends being in the class size of 360 at NYU. I am an extremely friendly person. I smile and make friends, lots of friends wherever I go, however I want to make "good" friends for life in dental school.

I'm just thinking back on what I was told during my interview at NYU. The whole "students getting kicked out of school half way through their dental school career" is nothing more than a myth. Being a private school, much of the school's funds are provided by the tuition of the students, so it would not be wise to just kick out whats supporting the school financially. If students do leave then that may very well be on their on accord. The school seemed to have student help centers and other resources in place to help students who were having trouble in their studies.
Basically every school that I visited gave me the impression that they really want their students to succeed and those who take this opportunity seriously and put forth the effort even if they are having some trouble a long the way will make it.

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes with this decision, and it is definitely a tougher choice when you take the cost of attendance out of it. The thing is that the schools are very different and provide different learning styles.

I really enjoyed my visit at both programs as they offered different strengths. Being that I'm from NYC I'd want to pick NYU, as its in an area that I'm already familiar with, and I'd still be close to my friends, family etc. More importantly though, I know my personal learning style and I would have an "easier" time at Buffalo as opposed to NYU due to the class size. I perform better in smaller class sizes where I can have more individual interactions with my professors.

From what I had gathered during my interview

NYU has a very large class size. From what I was told they really try to minimize the optic or feeling of being in such a large class by breaking students up in smaller work groups where they have a support system among themselves to lean on, but ultimately the class size is still apparent. As a result you will need to be more self reliant than you may need to be in other programs. The example that I was given during my interview was that that in clinic the professor will demonstrate the procedure in front of the class and then its up to you to start performing it. If you have a question then by all means ask, but do not expect them to hover around or consistently check your individual performance as you go step by step. This may not be the case with a smaller program where professor's have less students to divide their attention to.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any program, but think of which one best fits your strengths and what you plan to accomplish. Do you want to specialize etc?

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm just thinking back on what I was told during my interview at NYU. The whole "students getting kicked out of school half way through there dental school career" is nothing more than a myth. Being a private school, much of the schools funds are provided by the tuition of the students so it would not be wise to just kick out whats supporting the school financially. If students do leave then that may very well be on their on accord. The school seemed to have student help centers and other resources in place to help students who were having trouble in their studies.
Basically every school that I visited gave me the impression that they really want their students to succeed and those who take this opportunity seriously and put forth the effort even if they are having some trouble a long the way will make it.

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes with this decision, and it is definitely a tougher choice when you take the cost of attendance out of it. The thing is that the schools are very different and provide different learning styles.

I really enjoyed my visit at both programs as they offered different strengths. Being that I'm from NYC I'd want to pick NYU, as its in an area that I'm already familiar with and, I'd still be close to my friends, family etc. More importantly though, I know my personal learning style and I would have an "easier" time at Buffalo as opposed to NYU due to the class size. I perform better in smaller class sizes where I can have more individual interactions with my professors.

From what I had gathered during my interview

NYU has a very large class size. From what I was told they really try to minimize the optic or feeling of being in such a large class by breaking students up in smaller work groups where they have a support system among themselves to lean on, but ultimately the class size is still apparent. As a result you will need to be more self reliant than you may need to be in other programs. The example that I was given during my interview was that that in clinic the professor will demonstrate the procedure in front of the class and then its up to you to start performing it. If you have a question then by all means ask, but do not expect them to hover around or consistently check your individual performance as you go step by step. This may not be the case with a smaller program where professor's have less students to divide their attention to.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any program, but think of which one best fits your strengths and what you plan to accomplish. Do you want to specialize etc?

Just my 2 cents

Thank you for your sincere opinion. I definitely like the smaller class size and the individual interactions with my professors. Therefore, in term of curriculum, I think I like Buffalo more. I guess everything else about NYU and may be NYC is too attractive, that's why I'm hesitated in making my decision. Also, the cost difference to me is only 100k (I know it's still a lot), but not as much as some of you guys (200k-250k due to being American citizens and in state residence). I don't plan to specialize either.

Thank you for your sincere opinion. I definitely like the smaller class size and the individual interactions with my professors. Therefore, in term of curriculum, I think I like Buffalo more. I guess everything else about NYU and may be NYC is too attractive, that's why I'm hesitated in making my decision. Also, the cost difference to me is only 100k (I know it's still a lot), but not as much as some of you guys (200k-250k due to being American citizens and in state residence). I don't plan to specialize either.

Also, and this is just me, I'd still say cost is a factor because I wouldn't want to make my parents pay an extra 100k when they didn't have to.

I had the chance to see both schools when I applied. Go with Buffalo. NYU's claim to fame was some of their programs such as their law program. The dental program is on a completely different level in terms of prestige. I have heard of some serious horror stories from students who have gone there. Best of luck with your choice.

Thank you all for your advises. I just submitted all of my required documents to Buffalo. I guess It's time for me to learn how to drive and also buy a thick coat for the next winter :)

Interviewed at both and was accepted to both, so I was in your position for a while. I live near NYC and went to UB for undergrad so I had the chance to talk to many people from each institution. All in all, I think you made the right choice by choosing UB. Good luck.

I interviewed both and decided to choose Buffalo between the two. With New York University, the class size was just too large for me! I felt that I was just a number in the dental school's eyes, but with Buffalo I felt the warmth and welcoming from all the students and faculties. I just didn't feel that way with NYU.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile