bugs in the carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.2be

Patiently Waiting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I know this is going to sound silly but I was curious.
I was on valumed and read some of the post about the living conditions in the carribean and it not being the best. I know if I get in I will be there to study but the environment is a concern for me. When it comes to bugs I simply freak out (and yes I am a girl) NE way I saw threads stating that living there is like HELL because of all the bugs that are at times in ur own dorm/apartment. How freaquent are things like HUGE roaches and centipedes and all that in your apartment??? Please be honnest I mean I don't mind them outside but in my living quarters that's anotehr thing
By the way I'm planning on applying to SGU/ROSS so more info on those island would be appreciated.
Sorry for being silly but I was curious
Dr.2be

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.2be said:
Hey
I was on valumed and read some of the post about the living conditions in the carribean and it not being the best. I know if I get in I will be there to study but the environment is a concern for me. When it comes to bugs I simply freak out (and yes I am a girl) NE way I saw threads stating that living there is like HELL because of all the bugs that are at times in ur own dorm/apartment. How freaquent are things like HUGE roaches and centipedes and all that in your apartment??? Please be honnest I mean I don't mind them outside but in my living quarters that's anotehr thing
By the way I'm planning on applying to SGU/ROSS so more info on those island would be appreciated.
Dr.2be
awwww roaches..centipedes................what about lizards????????? i hope not...please advise both of us! thanks.

You don't have to be a girl to be afraid of roaches and bugs. I feel the same way you do abt bugs in my personal space. I also read somewhere I can't remember that this one dude came home and there was a roach abt the size of a small bird on his kitchen counter. No kidding. I heard moth balls keep insects away I also heard that where there are ants there aren't any roaches. So if you decided to go then I guess you can bring moth balls or find a living quarter that is near some ant hills.

Members don't see this ad :)
because of the way houses are built in the caribbean (alot more open areas), it is not uncommon for insects and the like to find their way into your home. You'll get used to it! Roaches can be avoided by ensuring cleanliness of the surroundings and as an added protector, roach bait. Centipedes usually come crawling out when its moist, i.e if you have bathroom or kitchen leaks tend to them! Lots of lizards running around, also geckos but they're harmless. Moth balls will definitely safeguard ur clothes in your drawer/closet. Investment in bug spray and insect repellent is good for the warding off of mosquitoes and sandflies(day/night. anyway, it is not likely that u will live in some insect infested area unless u are doing something to attract these pests!

phisigman03 said:
You don't have to be a girl to be afraid of roaches and bugs. I feel the same way you do abt bugs in my personal space. I also read somewhere I can't remember that this one dude came home and there was a roach abt the size of a small bird on his kitchen counter. No kidding. I heard moth balls keep insects away I also heard that where there are ants there aren't any roaches. So if you decided to go then I guess you can bring moth balls or find a living quarter that is near some ant hills.
roach the size of a bird?? u r not helping herre.....
i seriously won't make it then....really seriously can't!

i'm sure that the person was exaggerating when they said it was the size of a small bird......all of those i've ever seen have been regular sized, dont start panicking yet! :laugh:

and they fly too I heard. I don't like it neither but Because caribb schools are in the hot and humid area so there is no escaping from those things. You are beter off sticking with a school that will be most valueable as far as getting your MD.

Honestly, if you're going to nix your medical career over an insect phobia, you must not have been that interested in it to begin with. I know phobias can be quite bad for some people, and I'm even a little bit grossed out by insects and bugs, but you can easily overcome it with a bit of cognitive therapy....or you can just suck it up and overcome your fears. ;)

If my 4 small children survived Dominica I think you'll be just fine. Another thing to remember is that people actually choose to live on the island! Bugs will be the least of your worries...that other dreaded B word will be the source of your problems...BOOKS!

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I do not enjoy the bugs but I want that M.D. after my name and if the Carribean med school has to be my route then so be it...with the roaches and all. I guess I have one more year to mentally prepare in order to get use to the suckers... :laugh:
Thanks again

And I never saw roaches but had ants which drove me crazy...actually called them "crazy ants" cause they were small and acted like they were on drugs. Saw a centipede only once. Geckos lots but they eat mosq. so they are your friends. It is and it isn't bad...I mean you just get used to things and then when you move back to the U.S. you will be like "I can't believe how hard it was to be a homemaker there". I am starting to miss some things and look forward to yrs. down the road taking the kids back. Good luck.

I am from Southern Florida which is the closest place in the U.S. to the Caribbean. I am in West Palm beach which is 80 miles due west of Freeport in the Bahamas. Of course roaches crawl into the house a lot, there are centipedes, and after a big storm (usually a hurricane) we will sometimes see unusual birds in the backyard. I remember very, very well that after Andrew in 1992 (I lived 90 miles north of the center so no damage), there was a parrot in my backyard! I had never seen that before!

Also, there are big lizards with curly tails that are originally from Cuba.
And during the summer, the temperature is in the 90s with humidity that makes it feel over 100 with big thunderstorms in the afternoon. After a while, you get used to it and you realize this is what makes the place unique.

When I was in Dominica, I had a problem with small black birds with a yellow beak. These little birds just did not like me. Whenever I entered Ross's main campus gate and had to walk along the street to Class Room 1, these birds come flying at me (one at a time), barely touch me, then fly away. It used to happen to me everytime I enter Ross's main gate (except at nights). It was so bad, that I changed my route, entering Ross from PBH instead. These little birds do not "attack" everyboby, only some students. I just happened to be one of the unlucky ones they did not like.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I never saw roaches but had ants which drove me crazy...actually called them "crazy ants" cause they were small and acted like they were on drugs.

:laugh: I used to call them crazy ants too. no matter how hard u stomped on them they never died. LOL, in my 18 years of living in the Caribbean i have seen my share of insects. :laugh:

i go to school in pr (Ponce School of Medicine)....and its a lot better being in PR than being on one of those tiny islands in the leser antilles....u should check them out...they are all acredited and like any school you get what you want out of your education (the end results always reflect the amount of effort you put in)

Dr.2be said:
Hey
Dr.2be

Yeah!!! There are 5 feet long cockroaches and centipedes that eat humans...watch out!!! Don’t worry people; these insects are very much afraid of giants (humans). They just look for nice, dark and humid places to rest during the day. So please, do not leave a pile of sweaty work out gear in your room for several days. Trust me, a centipede will feel very much like home in pile like that(true story). BTW, be afraid of other humans in the Caribbean. Good luck.

Mom2five said:
If my 4 small children survived Dominica I think you'll be just fine. Another thing to remember is that people actually choose to live on the island! Bugs will be the least of your worries...that other dreaded B word will be the source of your problems...BOOKS!

i will be heading to Ross with husband in Sept. 06. I noticed that you said you were there with kids. We have a daugher and possible another on on the way. I would love to chat with you and find out all about your experience at Ross. Please email me if you can.
Thanks
[email protected]

katielaz said:
i will be heading to Ross with husband in Sept. 06. I noticed that you said you were there with kids. We have a daugher and possible another on on the way. I would love to chat with you and find out all about your experience at Ross. Please email me if you can.
Thanks
[email protected]

I emailed you.

Hi
Im having a blast reading all this about giant bugs! seriously...
I live in Dominican Republic, and it´s true there´re a lot of bugs, but if u live in very bad areas (i mean very bad and ugly areas = cheaper) and if u try ur best to keep ur apartment dirty...

ugly place + filthy tenants= giant bugs!
:scared:

More than bugs, the real pain in the ass about the caribbean is the HEAT!

Advices:
Keep ur windows closed
Keep ur apartment clean
Buy an AC 4 ur apartment
And STUDY!! and forget about the frigging bugs!!

SERIOUSLY! VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY HOT! :eek:

Dr.2be said:
Hey
Dr.2be

watch out fuh dem jack-spanya... dey is bite ya up rel good!

Dr.2be said:
Hey
Dr.2be

I'm not a Carribean student, but I read this and I really feel for you guys. Man I'd freak out if I woke up and saw huge insects in my room. I was on a service trip to the Dominican Republic once and the mosquitos there were freaky!! :scared: :scared:

I would wake up and there would be mosquitos surrouneding the cloth mosquito net that is drapped round my bed.

But look at it this way, if you go to the Carribean you will come back a tough doctor. :thumbup: NO BUG in America will ever scare you ever again. When you see a bug you'd probably be like "Aww that so cute" and then step on it in front of your doctor colleagues. And they'll be like, "man.. she's the man."

CatsandCradles said:
But look at it this way, if you go to the Carribean you will come back a tough doctor. :thumbup: NO BUG in America will ever scare you ever again. When you see a bug you'd probably be like "Aww that so cute" and then step on it in front of your doctor colleagues. And they'll be like, "man.. she's the man."

:laugh: :laugh: Good one, Cats.

Yeah there will be bugs etc. My dad is from a third world country. You wouldn't believe the thousands of different kinds of lizards, insects, spiders, worms etc. that I've seen when visiting. I highly doubt it can be that bad in the Carrib. schools. But even if it is, you'll learn to live with it.

The way I look at it....you're only there for two years (you do your rotations here in the States). That will go by very quickly. Especially in med school when you'll always be busy. It's two years for the rest of your life. Just keep your eyes on the prize.....that MD degree and a career in medicine.