Bullied...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GarcendyD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not know if this post serves as a warning or a question, venting or maybe a cry for help...perhaps all the above.

The "pre-med" track as a non-trad student can be rough. In many cases it can break people down to a point where they are so defeated, they become lost. At the beginning of my pre-med track, I could not be more sure of my course: MD all the way; I couldn't see myself doing anything else. I didn't see myself working in any other path beside that of a physician. Im sure most of us here would say that its something they have thought about the majority of their conscious lives. For me though it was a secret desire I would covet only in the place no one could see, my mind.

I was the "go down to the kindergarten class since you want to act like one" kid in school, definitely not doctor material and that lasted through out middle and all of high school into a year of community college with every instructor, teacher, and professor letting me know "you're not good enough" along the way. After sometime in the Army I went back to school upon my discharge and thought RT (Radiology Tech) would be the best bet for me. Then at my local community college, my anatomy/physiology prof. got into my head about this whole doctor thing again but this was the first time someone outside of my own voice was saying "Hey why don't you think about becoming a doctor". It was like something I never felt before: someone believing in me; I took it and a few years later I found myself transferred to a better school and working towards my degree in Neuro Science and behavior pre-med track. This is where the problem started.

I knew that for a student to be successful they would need a STRONG application:

- Good GPA
- Good MCAT
- Ex. Curriculars (Leadership)
- Lab time (Publish if possible)

and to that end I manicured my entire schedule around school work in a lab while attending all the "medical" orgs on campus and subsequently starting and leading my own.

Extra curricular activities, many warn, can destroy a students GPA if they let to much work get ahead of them. Leadership compared to membership are two very different beast. My experience with leadership was by far one of the worst I've ever experienced. As a leader, I was able to bring in many outside organization into the fold and acted as a middle man between my university and these medical groups. This did not come without some leg work, and I did do many hours of this work on my own and with my then finance. When I asked for help I was consistently ignored by my faculty advisor and ended up having to do all the work my other officers were missing or just not doing; I had to as the president of the org it would look bad on me if something were to fail and the was how my advisor put it. reaching the semesters end, I was beginning to become overwhelmed and asked our advisor to help lighten my load so I can study and get some control. She threatened my position and told me that it was none of her concern. In those moments I realized I would have to choose my GPA and the rest of my education over this organization; which is what I did and resigned my position reluctantly. I had a mental breakdown, I became depressed, anxious, and angry at varying levels all day and night into the next day. This would continue until the end of the semester where I received 2 A's a C+ and a D and calculus. I was so disgusted in the situation, and it definitely put me in a bad place for the coming semesters. Some could would come though by way of a research opportunity in the summer with one of the star PI's in the Fruit Fly community.

One thing that my research never did yield while looking into strengthening my application, is the dynamics of the lab. In many cases (for me) PI's (researchers) and their students want nothing to do with us as "pre-meds" especially as it pertains to their would be lifes work. Many times I wasn't even answered when trying to speak to PI regarding positions in the lab whether just because they weren't taking student or my favorite: the pervy scientist that only accepts young female lab assistants (y'all know what I'm talking about) The instance I did get in, was through a scholarship and I worked in a drosophila (fly) lab. I knew there would be some pimping on my first days there, it would only be natural. Sure enough there were some who could not stand the sight of us and immediately relegated us to cleaning and or minimal duties but I was working on my own experiment and this was not good. My lab experience up until that point had been at a community college with very... humble lab settings. So I was not familiar with many of the set ups, beakers, and programs being used. My "over see'ers" (1 PhD candidate, 1 Lab PhD) gave me a quick tutorial but there was this one guy, he just would let up. overtime he saw me, it was a comment about him beating me up in a fight, or how he could probably shoot me if I "went into" his house (I'm black) no problem. He would make younger (age and grade year) lab assistants my boss for the day having them tell me what to do so I would "know my place". I hated it, I hated working there every single day. I lasted for part of the summer and before my scholarship was finished, I left it. I couldn't bring myself to working in that environment anymore. I spoke to the labs PI's, my point of contact for the program and everyone told me the same thing "just ignore him" I could ignore someone being an ass, but this level was almost inhumane.

Ive felt like my life has been spiraling ever since. its the strangest thing, its like I can't be confident in this anymore. I almost hate medicine because I have to do this, I've been stuck in a rut since. This last semester my school told me to take a break from classes for the semester. I don't know what to do anymore, I know what I want, I know what I need to do to get there, but my motivation to deal with the garbage of climbing this mountain has taken a very bad hit. has anyone dealt with anything like this? how did you come back from it? Im really trying to figure it out, and I'm desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

you don't need research, quit any lab that treats you like that

threats are crimes and definitely against your university's code of conduct, report them

speak to a mental health professional, if you are at risk for self-harm go to the ED

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Very sorry to hear about your experiences in school. Many large programs have an office for veterans affairs within the registrar or Dean of Students to assist students. Im not sure if your program does but if so it could be useful to contact them. I've had friends who went to school after years in the military who encountered professors who had biases towards them. I would encourage you to reach out to them or to the dean of students office regarding what you have encountered in the lab as it likely violates numerous university policies. Additionally, many universities have a veterans student group. This could be a useful resource in terms of knowing which professors or classes to take / avoid based on the experiences of others. Unfortunately, discrimination and bias in college is real and too often goes unreported.

I knew that for a student to be successful they would need a STRONG application:

- Good GPA
- Good MCAT
- Ex. Curriculars (Leadership)*
- Lab time (Publish if possible)**

Given that you will be a non-traditional applicant and already have experience in the army, I am doubtful that your involvement in pre-medical organizations will add much to your resume. From experience in undergrad, as well as a post-bac student, many pre-medical organizations aren't very substantive and are simply something to put on a resume. I would get out of them if they aren't providing you what you're looking for or if you're left to manage all the pieces (especially with the advisor that you described above). For ECs, do things that you enjoy and also volunteer. Get clinical volunteering experience where you're around folks who are sick, suffering, dealing with addiction or mental illness. Volunteer with some non-medical organizations to demonstrate altruism and an interest in bettering your community.

For your med school application, you need a combination of strong GPA, MCAT score, and volunteer/clinical experience to demonstrate you're committed to the field. While research experience can be interesting and useful, if it something that is causing distress or impeding your ability to do well in your classes, get out of it. No organization or experience is worthwhile enough to endure abuse or mistreatment. Plenty of folks get accepted to medical school without research. I found that during my interview at my state MD program, almost all young applicants (21-23) had research experience while almost all older applicants (26 - my age) did not. Most of us had substantive work experience working in the public sector helping others.

I don't know what to do anymore, I know what I want, I know what I need to do to get there, but my motivation to deal with the garbage of climbing this mountain has taken a very bad hit. has anyone dealt with anything like this? how did you come back from it? Im really trying to figure it out, and I'm desperate
Not knowing if you want to pursue a career in medicine is perfectly valid. Take some time to volunteer and shadow physicians to see if a career in medicine is what you want to do. If it is, then when you are able, jump back into taking classes and focus on doing well. One difficult semester will not break your application. However, continuing to engage with toxic individuals can be very detrimental to one's well being and their ability to do well in school. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If someone isn't treating you well or If an environment is toxic for you just leave. Simple as that. Clearly this lab isn't a good place for you to be so you need to leave.

Things you identify you need:
- Good GPA... Wrong, It doesn't need to be good... you need mostly A's.
- Good MCAT Yup
- Ex. Curriculars (Leadership) Sure, like volunteering in clinical settings but leadership isn't that big a deal and those pre-med clubs don't add much to your application.
- Lab time (Publish if possible) ehhh. Research experience helps for sure for a lot of MD schools but isn't a requirement and you certainly don't need a publication.

It's imperative that you seek out some type of mental health support. Counseling/Whatever works for you. If you need to take a break take a break do it because it sounds like it's affecting your grades... and honestly going forward in medical school/residency... there are going to be a lot of people/institutions that treat you terribly (and are unfair to you) as a med student/resident and honestly?... most of the time you'll be expected to just suck it up and move forward. Fair or not. It can be really hard for anyone. For you to be able to get through this you are going to have to develop coping skills. Your #1 priority right now should be getting yourself in a better mental state and developing this coping skills.

In regards to getting your motivation back... Just get yourself out of the toxic environments, take care of your mental state, and try to remind yourself why you wanted to become a physician in the first place and see if that still applies. Like was mentioned in posts above, its fair to re-evaluate whether you still want to do this. Volunteering and shadowing would be good ways to re-affirm this for you. There is nothing wrong with deciding to do something else with your life if your motivation doesn't return. This process shouldn't be miserable.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no need to put up with that. You were right to quit.

Not sure how adcoms view things but SDN frequently echoes the opinion that research is overrated, and mostly preferred at top-tier schools.

Having worked in a lab the glut of premeds trying to get in and do stuff is hard to work with. You end up with a lot of people who want to volunteer, but meaningful work for someone around for 1-2 days a week is hard to come by. In the end a lot of labs just don't need or want the premeds and end up taking more volunteers than they might ever need. Its really not good for anyone.

If you want to do research and can find a cool PI do it. If you can't get the experience you want don't waste your time on it.

Reactions: 2 users
I do not know if this post serves as a warning or a question, venting or maybe a cry for help...

Ive felt like my life has been spiraling ever since. its the strangest thing, its like I can't be confident in this anymore...

This last semester my school told me to take a break from classes for the semester. I don't know what to do anymore, I know what I want, I know what I need to do to get there, but my motivation to deal with the garbage of climbing this mountain has taken a very bad hit. has anyone dealt with anything like this? how did you come back from it? Im really trying to figure it out, and I'm desperate.
Step away from Mt. Garbage and find a cognitive behavioral therapist. Once you’re out of your “spiral” and back to happy GarcendyD, get back to the grind of knocking items off your pre med to do list. I would like to reiterate another poster’s advice: if you are at risk of self harm, please seek immediate help - go to the ED. Also, here is the toll free number for the National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Our situations are not identical, but maybe you can draw some parallels. I want to go to medical school and I have years before I can get there.

Perhaps you need to adjust the way you think about what it’s going to take to accomplish your goals. A mountain? Eek. I have a check list, and I make it my b****. Last semester? I dominated it. I have two jobs, full time grad school, and am a single parent. I could get down about how stressful my life is, but that does nothing but increase my anxiety - I’ve been through much worse. Now I’m making enough money to put food on the table with both food and cash left to spare, making progress towards my career goals, and have a precious child who loves me and thinks I’m awesome. Today I’m going to exercise, do a couple hours of studying and then go in to work where I’m going to reassure scared patients and help bring them comfort. I get to study topics that will help me save lives (nursing research theory can be quite dry but is a necessary evil for me to incorporate evidence based practice).

About three years ago I finalized a drawn out divorce, was living with my super religious parents and required to attend church (I’m an atheist), broke (account empty with nothing but oatmeal for days prior to moving home), working in a toxic job. I was absolutely miserable and hated my life. When I thought I couldn’t take it anymore I started seeing a psychiatrist - major depression. He referred me to a therapist. Therapy didn’t just talk me off the ledge, it helped me take control and change my life. My therapist helped me make changes in how I think about myself and recognize when I was internalizing someone else’s poor behavior and mistreatment as a reflection of myself. Lots of “Aha!” moments. She said, “you’re not looking for your dream job today” and encouraged me to find a job that met criteria that enabled me to move out.

Not gonna lie, I also have a ...healthy... caffeine addiction. My life’s little pleasures: I have a moka pot, Chemex for pour over coffee, French press, a burr grinder for my snobby whole bean coffee from local roasters, a variety of whole leaf oolong and black teas, and a tea kettle I program to the exact temperature (93C? 195F? 173F? whatever I want). Today I’m going for a dark roast Iron Goddess of Mercy oolong tea. It helps get me out of bed when I’m tired :) . On Christmas break I took my son to an indoor waterpark. I’m planning a vacation for my son and myself between spring and summer semesters. I deactivated Facebook so I’m not tempted to compare my life to the matching Christmas pajamas family who just got back from Disney or the couple vacationing in Bora Bora. Find fun and happiness in the everyday mundane, and something to look forward to that’s not years away.

overtime he saw me, it was a comment about him beating me up in a fight, or how he could probably shoot me if I "went into" his house (I'm black) no problem. He would make younger (age and grade year) lab assistants my boss for the day having them tell me what to do so I would "know my place"

This is more than just bullying. Let’s call this what it is... racial discrimination. Check out your school’s website for where to go for filing a complaint with your Student Equal Opportunity Coordinator (perhaps your Dean of Students fill this role). I’m sorry you had to experience such abhorrent behavior.

*edited for typos and clarity

Thank you @ everyone for the words of encouragement. Ill be taking this time off to refocus my sights and allow me some time to just....breath. Do the things I love like photography and designing webcomics two things that Ive ignored for the grind. I think I may have taken it all too personally. aside from the comments made by the individual in lab and the professor that also bullied me (I've reported both to the ombudsman) I may have taken it harder than i should. Maybe my skin wasn't as thick as I thought, but again Ill be working on that. Like some of you guys said: this isn't the last time this will happen but I can certainly take steps to minimize being in toxic environments. I'll be using those coping skills to help me through this academic hiatus and hopefully come out better then I went in. Thank you again my people in med, I am glad I opened up!

Very Greatful

Reactions: 3 users
Hey OP, hope you're doing better. I know you've already answered to other responders. But burnout is a very serious thing. You can be in the best lab/workplace with every opportunity to do well. But if the environment is toxic, you will definitely crash and burn. I've been there before, to a point where I wondered if I had any business getting into medicine.

On thing to note: there's a difference between "being told how you're doing something wrong/made a mistake" and being threatened. The former is just a crappy part of working. You take the good with the bad and learn from it. Especially if your boss is angry and may come off as rude. If you can come up with a plan to correct your mistakes, then that's okay behavior.

But if you're being threatened and have been a victim of subtle racism, that is NOT okay. Hell, being demeaned in the work place (i.e. "you're an incompetent idiot" in front of others) is not okay either. Speak up about that too.