Bus' Phat Web Site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out my new Web site I created, showing stats for the 2002-2003 application cycle. It shows more information than that wack stat page everyone keeps recycling around.

http://dentalstats.150m.com/2002-2003.html

I'll update it periodically, whenever I get newer stats. Hope you guys enjoy it; it took a while to make.

Pce,

bus.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty impressive, good Job :D

Awesome job Busupshot!!!!!! Now we will just link your website to all the predents who have questions. However, I noticed some errors in your tuition prices.....for instance BU's tuition seems low, and I know that Temple's tuition is not right. I didnt check any others.

Members don't see this ad :)
avingupta said:
Awesome job Busupshot!!!!!! Now we will just link your website to all the predents who have questions. However, I noticed some errors in your tuition prices.....for instance BU's tuition seems low, and I know that Temple's tuition is not right. I didnt check any others.

Thanks guys. As for the tuition errors, I have no idea; I used information supplied from Barron's Guide to Medical & Dental Schools.

Very nice! *applause*

Avin is right about the mistaken tuition costs, though. I noticed that SIU is overestimated, while UIC is underestimated (no way SIU costs more than UIC...it's not even close).

ToothMonkey said:
Very nice! *applause*

Avin is right about the mistaken tuition costs, though. I noticed that SIU is overestimated, while UIC is underestimated (no way SIU costs more than UIC...it's not even close).

Did the tuition costs change since 2002-2003? Either that or Barron's supplied wrong info.

busupshot83 said:
Check out my new Web site I created, showing stats for the 2002-2003 application cycle. It shows more information than that wack stat page everyone keeps recycling around.

http://dentalstats.150m.com/2002-2003.html

I'll update it periodically, whenever I get newer stats. Hope you guys enjoy it; it took a while to make.

Pce,

bus.
Add that site to the Sticky Thread: "Links of Interest".

Nicely done. Would have been nicer if you had the stats/info for 2003-2004. Maybe that's too early to know.

Tufts' tuition isnt correct either. Unless they increased it without me knowing. :eek:

Dentaldream said:
Tufts' tuition isnt correct either. Unless they increased it without me knowing. :eek:
That's Tufts base tuition (excluding living, insurance, tools etc.)

beer in a bottle? ...Brilliant.

bus' website? ....Brilliant.

One criticism, if u can cut out the space between the end of the school name and the first statistic, it might be easier to see what school has what stat and there will be less horizontal scrollin. but even so, ...brilliant.

busupshot83 said:
Did the tuition costs change since 2002-2003? Either that or Barron's supplied wrong info.
The SIU number is very strange. Right now they're around $11-12k in tuition this year., so unless they've recently slashed prices by 40%+ (not likely) Barron's is way off.

UIC's figure looks pretty close, though. They've been hiking tuition dramatically in recent years so $15k may have been accurate in '02. Now it's more like $20k.

The truth is, with tuition costs increasing so quickly all the older numbers can really give us is a ballpark figure. That's still better than nothing, though. Nobody will be planning their exact budget around your website, but they can use the figures for rough comparisons between schools.

Mo007 said:
Add that site to the Sticky Thread: "Links of Interest".

Nicely done. Would have been nicer if you had the stats/info for 2003-2004. Maybe that's too early to know.

Hold your horses Mooy, I just finished this one. :laugh:

I'll update the stats when I get access to them.

quickfix said:
beer in a bottle? ...Brilliant.

bus' website? ....Brilliant.

One criticism, if u can cut out the space between the end of the school name and the first statistic, it might be easier to see what school has what stat and there will be less horizontal scrollin. but even so, ...brilliant.

I tried hard not to make the scrolling like that, but it was turning out ******ed looking. The way I have it now, I can add more stats when I get the 2003-2004 edition.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D I updated the site, using Quicfix's suggestions. I managed to squeeze it all in and still make it look good. Check it out. :D

Bus, that is TITE. Thanks for doing such a great job!

Sincerely, Sujain :)

toothpixie said:
Bus, that is TITE. Thanks for doing such a great job!

Sincerely, Sujain :)

Hey tooth, long time. Wherer you been?

my bad, Bus... :p i've been really sucked into the UCLA thread lately (there's a new one on DentalTown, too!). i like ur avatar! Makes me hungry... mmmhmmmm.

hope all is well with you,
Sincerely, Sujain

Great site! busupshot83 :thumbup:

I was under the impression that a GPA under 3.0 is not adequate. Are you being a bit generous with your ranges?

blankguy said:
Great site! busupshot83 :thumbup:

I was under the impression that a GPA under 3.0 is not adequate. Are you being a bit generous with your ranges?

not my ranges, its from Barron's book. anyhow, the "under 3.0 club" does make that range true, because we have people that do gain spots with those stats.

Sorry to add to the mistakes on your website but I can tell you first hand that there is one stat that is totally WRONG. According you your website there were only 45 applicants to the University of Nebraska dental school. The class size is from 42-45 students per year and director of admissions told me that they have hundreds of applications every year. Plus I know of plenty of people both on this message board and personally that were rejected from U of N. You may want to ckeck your sources again.

Other than that you've done a great service to future pre-dents.

I just checked the Barron's book. It strikes me as a source that I shouldn't take too much heed.

Hey Bus, nice work here. One additional statistic that may be valuable to pre-dental students would be % out-of-state applicants admitted (or # nonresidents in incoming class) at the state-funded schools. I'm fairly certain that this information is publicly available. Average admissions credentials can be highly misleading if the level of competition is different for resident and nonresident candidates.

Sam Spade said:
Hey Bus, nice work here. One additional statistic that may be valuable to pre-dental students would be % out-of-state applicants admitted (or # nonresidents in incoming class) at the state-funded schools. I'm fairly certain that this information is publicly available. Average admissions credentials can be highly misleading if the level of competition is different for resident and nonresident candidates.

i'm working on it as we speak :cool:

I find it hard to believe that there are that many schools that don't have over 1000 applicants.

blankguy said:
I find it hard to believe that there are that many schools that don't have over 1000 applicants.
Private schools have the highest #'s of applications.

well, instead of pointing out errors w/o corrections to fix them, here's some Tufts numbers for you Bus

Dental Tuition - $38850 (I forget if it's increased this past year or if it will increase next year)
Activity Fee - $190
Health Insurance - $2124
Health Admin - $170
Dental Kit - $3,100
DN Sterilization Chrg - $2,750
Preclinical Supplies - $875
Technology Fee - $260

That's the total cost of ed for the first year, not including living, eating, sleeping, clothing, driving, and other personal costs. The calculated cost of living for the first year (10 months in school) was $18,713 for the year 2003-2004

drPheta

Not bad as I thought for Boston. That's about $48,319, plus ~$15K living costs = ~$63,000 total. But the cost definetly goes up during 2nd and 3rd year right?

Ok, so that tuition figure I gave you is the recently increased tuition rate (just done for this year) since the financial aid app from last year says tuition was 37000. However, I wouldn't expect any increase over the next few years.

That said, tuition is the same for all four years. The most expensive BILLED cost of ed at Tufts should be the first year. The most expensive LIVING COST at Tufts should be most expensive the 2nd and 3rd years (in school for 11/11.5 months).

So yeah, this year we were told to expect to pay up to $67,000 for the TOTAL cost of ed. Next year should be slightly higher from the increase in living cost, but I believe 2nd year is the most expensive in terms of TOTAL cost of ed.

EDIT:
Added the attachment directly from the 2004/2005 application booklet, because I have too much time on my hands and don't want to study.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 167
drPheta

Mark told me 15% of Tufts grads get into postgrads, is that including GPR?

Mo007, for D'03 (class of 2003)
-19% went to postgrad program (not incl AEGD or GPR)
-5% AEGD
-15% GPR
-60% Private Practice/Associateship
-1% Armed Services

-----

Entering class numbers attached

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 150
drPheta said:
Mo007, for D'03 (class of 2003)
-19% went to postgrad program (not incl AEGD or GPR)
-5% AEGD
-15% GPR
-60% Private Practice/Associateship
-1% Armed Services

-----

Entering class numbers attached
19% to postgrad from a class of 150? = 29 students. That's really good.

Any idea (I probably asked you this before) about recent average NBDE 1 scores?

D'06 hasn't finished taking their boards yet, so we only have D'05, which was an 85.9 (national ave = 85.6). And it seems that Tufts has been sitting around the national average for the past two years (prior to those, they were a couple points above it).

That's something Bus should put on his site too, the board scores. However, these scores should be noted that they reflect the general student type accepted by each school and their goals in this dental career. Those who wish to specialize will strive to do very well, and most likely will. Those who simply wish to graduate as a GP will strive to pass, leading to about an average score.

Ok, I updated the site with Tufts' new tuition. I also changed the site's address to:

http://dentalstats.150m.com/main.html

I'm currently working on new stats, give me some time. In the mean time, feel free to feed me more up-to-date tuition figures.

drPheta

Thanks. I think Tufts offers a lot Clinically than any other school. From the people I met there during my visit, they looked very confident getting into private practice.

Thanks for the update bus. I was getting a bit suspicious about the previous ranges.

Upon my boi pbure's urging, I've finally ordered ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, 2004. This means BRAND NEW stats on my site. I'll get it in a week or so, so just keep checking.

In the meantime, I've updated the site's color-schemes and logo:

http://dentalstats.150m.com/main.html

Pce,

bus

Sorry to be the one to say it, but the stats out of barrons are garbage, plus that info is all old. The accurate info can be found in the ADEA book.

KDBuff said:
Sorry to be the one to say it, but the stats out of barrons are garbage, plus that info is all old. The accurate info can be found in the ADEA book.

My thoughts exactly... scroll up and read my above post.

Bus'

What changes did you make?... didnt you already have the 02-03 stats before?

Competition should have made stats much higher the following year, it should be somewhat a different picture.

Mo007 said:
Bus'

What changes did you make?... didnt you already have the 02-03 stats before?

Competition should have made stats much higher the following year, it should be somewhat a different picture.

I just ordered the new ADEA Guide to Dental Schools for 2004, and because I haven't gotten the book yet, the stats are not updated (the stats currently being shown are the old ones I had before). As I said earlier, I just updated the color-scheme of the site (it use to be a light purple). I should get the book by the 24th of October, so expect new stats by next week or so. I'll inform everyone when it's good to go. :thumbup:

Cool... I am looking forward to it too.

is it just me, or is the link down? I've tried it a couple of times today.

swolf said:
is it just me, or is the link down? I've tried it a couple of times today.

just you unfortunately... works for me

I tried to open the site and it doesnt work for me either :)

denty said:
I tried to open the site and it doesnt work for me either :)

I noticed that when I opened it one time, it said "Done, but with errors," at the bottom info bar. I'm not sure why... tell me exactly what is happening when you try the link.