Bus' Phat Web Site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a quick question...dunno if it's been asked:

Are the Canadian tuition+board+etc. in Canadian $?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great site you have been working on! I appreciate the time you took to do this.

To check the reliability of the ADEA stats, I went to random dental school's website, Case Western Reserve (one of the many schools that posted their stats on their site), and found out that the GPA and DAT scores don't match up.
ADEA says: Case's Website says:
Mean GPA -3.35 Mean GPA - 3.39
Science GPA - 3.22 Science GPA - 3.26
Mean DAT - 18.12 Mean DAT - 18.17
Mean PAT - 18.1 Mean PAT - 17.93

This leads me to ask -- which source is more reliable? Where does ADEA get its information and are those the same numbers that the schools use? Do they need permission from the student to release their scores?

I know that these differences are small, but so many schools have similar stats and a marginal difference could be great enough to distinguish between schools.

dds said:
That's a great site you have been working on! I appreciate the time you took to do this.

To check the reliability of the ADEA stats, I went to random dental school's website, Case Western Reserve (one of the many schools that posted their stats on their site), and found out that the GPA and DAT scores don't match up.
ADEA says: Case's Website says:
Mean GPA -3.35 Mean GPA - 3.39
Science GPA - 3.22 Science GPA - 3.26
Mean DAT - 18.12 Mean DAT - 18.17
Mean PAT - 18.1 Mean PAT - 17.93

This leads me to ask -- which source is more reliable? Where does ADEA get its information and are those the same numbers that the schools use? Do they need permission from the student to release their scores?

I know that these differences are small, but so many schools have similar stats and a marginal difference could be great enough to distinguish between schools.

Your best bet is to email the ADEA directly...

- Click on the following link: http://www.adea.org/about.html
- Click on "ADEA Staff Directory"

Members don't see this ad :)
spc213 said:
Good stuff. Thanks for doing this. Happy to help.

I appreciate it, thanks for your feedback :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: !

People keep commenting about being more competitive every year, but the data on your website suggests that the stats are consistent and in some cases went down from the 2 cycles that you have collected the stats. I am wondering if this is due to the way data is being collected being different?? :confused: I'm not saying that they are wrong because they are not shooting up, but stats are more precise one year than the other.

blankguy said:
People keep commenting about being more competitive every year, but the data on your website suggests that the stats are consistent and in some cases went down from the 2 cycles that you have collected the stats. I am wondering if this is due to the way data is being collected being different?? :confused: I'm not saying that they are wrong because they are not shooting up, but stats are more precise one year than the other.

There are several things that might influence the 'competiveness' of a cycle. Besides the number of applicants, there has been an increase the stats of the applicants (from what a few schools have told me). While such an increase might not be reflected in matriculation averages (it takes usually takes a huge increase in numbers to significantly raise an average) a school could see a lot more scores that are higher than what they have been receiving (e.g. in the past there were by far more 18AA applicants at a particular school than any other AA they were getting and now the AA is 20). When I was interviewing at OSU this same point was discussed and commented on by their director of admissions. Furthermore, the final averages of a school reflect those applicants that accepted the offer of admission - it doesn't mean those were the first nor the ones with the highest scores that applied and there are a lot of personal factors at work in the decision to attend a particular school. Also, with this cycle there has been an increase in students with a lot more dental experience, research, extracurriculars, and degrees applying and this leads to increased competitiveness, all of which are difficult to quantify and measure but nonetheless can play into the competitiveness of a cycle.