Business Degree to Veterinary Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hperkins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior business administration major with a double emphasis (marketing and international business). Up until last year, I thought I had my life planned out. I have done everything right in terms of setting my self up for a life in business (internships, conferences, etc) but now am considering veterinary school.
I have done the research and understand how hard it is to actually be admitted into these schools. Here are my stats:
-3.3 gpa (not great but i have many extra-curriculars)
-D1 Varsity rowing 4 years (captain 2 years) (36 hrs/week)
-North American Delegate (APEC)
-Part-time waiter (20 hrs/week)
-Study Abroad (internship abroad)
-Internship

I guess my plan would be to take the necessary pre-reqs at a community college and volunteer at a clinic over the next year and then apply the following year.. (unless there are better options)

I guess my question to you is: Is this goal attainable, or will I be overlooked in the initial review of applicants because i have no degree in science. Thanks so much for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome! First piece of advice is to get some veterinary experience to make absolutely positively sure that this is what you want to do. In addition, veterinary schools require it for admission. You can shadow a vet, volunteer, or work at a clinic.

Next, yes, you would need to take the prerequisites. They differ by school; http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm has great information about the application process and the requirements of each school.

It will probably take you more than one year to get all of that done, unless you happened to take a lot of chemistry and biology as electives :) However, it is definitely possible to get into veterinary school with a non-science degree. Take a search at past "successful applicants" threads to get a sense of the stats.

If you are looking to own your own practice someday, having a business degree would be a huge advantage. I got my MBA and would say that it actually helped me a little in the application process because it fits with my career goals.

Good luck.

Ditto. It'll take a min of 2+ years to complete the pre-reqs if you haven't taken any science courses. If you have a state school, check them out to see what the exact reqs are.

Do you have any vet experience? I highly recommend it for three reasons. One, you need a letter of rec from a DVM to just apply. Two, you need to have experience in some aspect of vet me to be considered by most schools, especially American schools. Three, you need to know if vet med is what you really, really, want to do - it's a long and semi painful yet rewarding road and it's good to know what you're getting into. Experience in many aspects of vet med is looked upon quite favorably.

I also suggest looking at the successful applicant stats to get a feel of what might be ahead of you in prepping for vet school and apps.

I think it's a HUGE asset to have a business degree. One thing that most vets in practice need MORE of is business knowledge. I'd say that's fantastic!

Welcome :)

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a long and semi painful

What's this "semi" part? Wait until you've been in school a little longer, it can get very painful. ;) (I've only been studying pathology for the last 5.5 hours, so sorry :p)

To the OP:

All and all, I have to agree with Lailanni that it is rewarding, but you do need to know what you're getting into. Vet experience is very important. And I also agree with the above posters that business can only help you!

Wait a minute, isn't it all just puppies and kittens?? :D

Well, since I'm studying Gen Path right now...I guess it's all dead puppies and kittens....wow, that's depressing!! ;)