business skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binsbts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what sort of business skills are specifically needed in dentistry if I were interested in private practice? I am an undergraduate student and I was wondering if I should take any business-related or economic class? Thx guys.

Members don't see this ad.

binsbts said:
what sort of business skills are specifically needed in dentistry if I were interested in private practice? I am an undergraduate student and I was wondering if I should take any business-related or economic class? Thx guys.

Ill recommend accounting. 1 or 2 beginner accounting classes will give u a huge leg up and if you really like it id go with it as far as u like.

Honestly? You should take as many business classes as you can. Here is what I would take:

Marketing
Information Systems
Organizational Behavior
Accounting (Managerial)
Accounting (Tax)
Investing
Finance
Business Law
Intro to Computer Programming (if you have the time)

I'd major in business if you were still open to deciding what major to study during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something to keep in mind: Tufts spread their practice management over the entire four years, so if that's important to you, they are a school who takes it really seriously.

Any other schools that you guys have seen which do the same?

JavadiCavity said:
Honestly? You should take as many business classes as you can. Here is what I would take:

Marketing
Information Systems
Organizational Behavior
Accounting (Managerial)
Accounting (Tax)
Investing
Finance
Business Law
Intro to Computer Programming (if you have the time)

I'd major in business if you were still open to deciding what major to study during undergrad.

Why would you major in business over a science major?

Alpha13 said:
Why would you major in business over a science major?
Because you're going to spend four years of dental school drowning in science. Undergrad is your one shot at getting a comprehensive primer in business, and not enough people take advantage of it.

I agree with the above, a major in business these days definitely will pay off down the road, when running a dental practice or just managing your finances. I don't regret majoring in biochem, but I did make a point to take a few business classes. I think accounting is probably one of the most important classes you can take in undergrad, mind you it is pretty challenging. Business law is beneficial too.