BUSM vs WCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuronom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance. I'm very excited to be accepted to both programs, it's been a long journey! Currently, I'm interested in emergency medicine / general surgery - potentially in academic medicine.

Both match-lists look impressive, for what they're worth. I guess I'm looking for bare-bones 1) best match-prep 2) best city for opportunity.

BUSM

+ big Step-prep focus in their curriculum, tests which may ultimately decide my fate

+ under-served focus and mission is fantastic

+ city of Boston hub of academic opportunity, may have a leg-up to match within the city?

- cost, I expect it will be more expensive (WCM reportedly has generous need-based aid)

WCM

+ beautiful facilities for edu, AOC is great

+ top notch affiliations for research and clinical training around NYC

+ friends in the city

+ better vibe with the students

- coming from a small-town, from a low income background, not sure if I'll fit the NYC personality (Boston seems saturated with students)

Thank you for your input! I'm also wait-listed at UCLA, but I won't consider that an option currently. (Although, you can throw that if you have an opinion. I loved their mission serve-all-populations-mission as well!)

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with BUSM. EM and Gen surg aren't so competitive that you need the WCM name. I think the step prep focus of BUSM will be helpful from you given the background you mention. If you are from a small town then I think BUSM will be in a better location and a bit less abrupt for you than WCM's location. I'm sure many people will vote WCM based off of the prestige, but I would personally pick the school where I thought I would be best suited to thrive

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.