This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuronom

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you in advance. I'm very excited to be accepted to both programs, it's been a long journey! Currently, I'm interested in emergency medicine / general surgery - potentially in academic medicine.

Both match-lists look impressive, for what they're worth. I guess I'm looking for bare-bones 1) best match-prep 2) best city for opportunity.

BUSM

+ big Step-prep focus in their curriculum, tests which may ultimately decide my fate

+ under-served focus and mission is fantastic

+ city of Boston hub of academic opportunity, may have a leg-up to match within the city?

- cost, I expect it will be more expensive (WCM reportedly has generous need-based aid)

WCM

+ beautiful facilities for edu, AOC is great

+ top notch affiliations for research and clinical training around NYC

+ friends in the city

+ better vibe with the students

- coming from a small-town, from a low income background, not sure if I'll fit the NYC personality (Boston seems saturated with students)

Thank you for your input! I'm also wait-listed at UCLA, but I won't consider that an option currently. (Although, you can throw that if you have an opinion. I loved their mission serve-all-populations-mission as well!)
 
I would go with BUSM. EM and Gen surg aren't so competitive that you need the WCM name. I think the step prep focus of BUSM will be helpful from you given the background you mention. If you are from a small town then I think BUSM will be in a better location and a bit less abrupt for you than WCM's location. I'm sure many people will vote WCM based off of the prestige, but I would personally pick the school where I thought I would be best suited to thrive
 
Status
Not open for further replies.