BUSM Waitlist 2009

Started by gr8fulMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want another non-scientific way to keep track, check out the Boston University Class of 2013 facebook page to gauge how many students have already made their final decisions, and are active on facebook. Now that second look day has past, and we are getting closer to May 15, it should be a good way to see how many spots might be available for everyone on the waitlist.

Hey rbk, I can't find the FB group for BUSM Class of 2013. What is the official name of the group?
 
withdrew from the waitlist today....feel free to take my name off the list. good luck to everyone waiting to hear! I will be rooting for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I actually know some people in the group that I didn't know had gotten into BU. Small world.
 
there is only 85 ppl in that facebook '13 group...

not a good indicator.

how many ppl are on the wl, how many are they under class size? anybody know?
 
A good number of those students are not first years. Other BUSM students have been signing up for the group to welcome the new students, to find roommates, or to fill their vacated apartments.

There's still hope.
 
so...do you folks think some people on this list will hear on june 1st or do you think they'll keep us waiting longer? just wanted to speculate because idle waiting is so hard!
 
I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Post here with any good news so we can all get an idea about any movement.
 
are u sure its gonna be tomo? i thought it was as early as tomo



and nothing
 
Last edited:
i called the admissions office to ask whether they had any openings and would be seeing ANY movement on the waitlist. i figured since people aren't supposed to be holding more than 1 acceptance at this point, they would have some idea of current class size. i was told that if people drop out, they will have openings. not sure if that means that not enough people have declined BU yet...or if they were just trying to be vague.
 
I am not holding my breath this month...the way that BU handled the original acceptances ("end of March"), I do not expect anything until July. Better to be surprised than wait each day with bated breath.
 
I agree with the comments that have been made on the BU secondary blog. This is discouraging. Other waitlists are really moving, how is it that so many people have posted giving up their seats and yet there is no waitlist movement?? I know I said that I wouldn't anticipate news until July, but hearing nothing is ridiculous. Why have a waitlist at all?!?
 
Last edited:
It's not looking good, but what can you do? I heard from someone affiliated with PA admissions in the Boston area that "pretty much everyone has been accepting their spots." That's definitely not good to hear, despite the small group of people withdrawing in SDN world.

The 2009 student graduation speech is on YouTube, it was given by my tour guide, and he was accepted from the wait list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUx4xvmJG4
 
That's what happened last year, they didn't accept anyone from the waitlist! I agree, why have a waitlist at all if you aren't going to go off of it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, this is horribly discouraging. I for one have no acceptances and this is the only waitlist I'm on - not a good spot to be in at this stage of the game.

How is everyone else out there holding up?
 
Last edited:
I spoke to someone from the admissions office a few days ago. At this point, no one has been accepted from the waitlist and not enough people have declined. I'm going to my backup school, and have removed myself from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still hanging in there.
 
I spoke to someone from the admissions office a few days ago. At this point, no one has been accepted from the waitlist and not enough people have declined. I'm going to my backup school, and have removed myself from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still hanging in there.

This is such a tough waiting game. I totally understand your position and thank you for letting us all know. I am also planning on going to my backup school but with my husband stuck in Boston for the next two years, I have to stay on the list and hold out until the day classes start. Best of luck to you at your school and much success in the future.
 
Has anyone heard any news at all? Could it be that the waitlist has moved but none of those people are on SDN? My alternate school's waitlist has moved quite a bit and it is now settled. Does this mean that it is most likely that there will not be any movement at BU?

Okay so I just called (probably should have done that before posting) and the woman said that "there has not been any movement" and they have "no way of predicting if there will be any movement". She also said that the waitlist remains active until matriculation on August 10th.
 
Has anyone heard any news at all? Could it be that the waitlist has moved but none of those people are on SDN? My alternate school's waitlist has moved quite a bit and it is now settled. Does this mean that it is most likely that there will not be any movement at BU?

Okay so I just called (probably should have done that before posting) and the woman said that "there has not been any movement" and they have "no way of predicting if there will be any movement". She also said that the waitlist remains active until matriculation on August 10th.

I haven't heard anything yet. This is just my guess, but it seems likely to me that BU significantly overenrolled their class this year. I'm sure that plenty of accepted people have yielded their spots to go somewhere else -- some of them have even posted about it on SDN! -- so the fact that the waitlist hasn't moved at all would suggest that a substantial number of people were accepted up front.

Didn't this happen last year too?
 
From what I understand, the BU waitlist is actually quite short, and it almost never moves. I think there have been like 10 students accepted off the waitlist over the past few years.
 
Just FYI (to those on the waitlist), I received a post-waitlist rejection today. Hopefully, this does not mean that they have officially finalized the class and are releasing the waitlist!
 
Just FYI (to those on the waitlist), I received a post-waitlist rejection today. Hopefully, this does not mean that they have officially finalized the class and are releasing the waitlist!

I didn't know they could do that! Did you receive the notice via email or by checking your profile?

Thank you for letting us know. I hope that at least the decision provides some relief from the anxiety of waiting and that you have the absolute best of luck and success in the future.
 
I didn't know they could do that! Did you receive the notice via email or by checking your profile?

Thank you for letting us know. I hope that at least the decision provides some relief from the anxiety of waiting and that you have the absolute best of luck and success in the future.
Sorry, I should have clarified that I was actually on the waitlist itself!

I received an email to check my status page (which was updated), although the email itself contained information about the rejection.
 
BU's waitlist hasn't moved for years. I remember when I interviewed there last year, one of the BU med students told me that. Apparently, Witzburg gives his famous "I hate long waitlists speech" every year. But when May 15 arrives every year, the waitlist is usually very large (i.e. in the hundreds).

As for why no one get's off waitlist, I think that they really do a good job of selling the school. And it is a great school with an even greater city (Boston). Students that get in there have a hard time declining their acceptances.

But hopefully, you guys will have better luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed though for you guys.
 
So no news here, but I called today and spoke with a very nice woman who answered the phone. She said they have no way of predicting if and when there will be movement but the list is kept active until the day of matriculation. I realize that this information is not new nor particularly helpful but at least it breaks up the silence on this forum!
 
Due to the lack of news I withdrew my application. I had to focus on the coming year.

Best of luck to all of those still waiting, it is a tough grind.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.