Busting an Old Myth....How many is too many? (+ poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many dental schools will you apply to?

• less than 5

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • 5-10

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • 10-15

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • more than 15

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UNC2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is an old myth saying that if you apply to "too many" schools you'll look desperate on your application, some say 5 is the limit, some say 30!
I don't know if it is still right or not, but I'm just wondering how many dental schools you are applying to?(and list the names if you want to)
If anyone knows and has proof that applying to many school will look bad on the our applications, please share his/her reasons with us....otherwise the old myth is hereby busted!
As for myself, I'm applying to about 15!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm looking to apply to about 15 myself.
I have a pretty solid GPA and good experiences, but wanted to play it safe by applying to 15 schools given that I'll be submitting my application before I take the DAT (early July), and don't know what my actual DAT score will be. I'm from MA and our "state school" for all of NE has a really small class!

What do you think?

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on whether applying to "too many" schools really looks bad.

So I'm looking to apply to about 15 myself.
I have a pretty solid GPA and good experiences, but wanted to play it safe by applying to 15 schools given that I'll be submitting my application before I take the DAT (early July), and don't know what my actual DAT score will be. I'm from MA and our "state school" for all of NE has a really small class!

What do you think?

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on whether applying to "too many" schools really looks bad.

are you doing well on your practice tests? is that how you decided to go ahead and apply before seeing DATscores? I'm in the same boat and am worried about my score so I opted to wait until I take the test later this summer before I pick what schools to apply to but I'ms still worried about how good of a decision this is/was?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to around 20 schools. I was offered interviews at all but a few. My stats are average for my undergrad, but high for this forum. I would apply to as many as you can afford to apply to. There is no way I would have applied to only 5 schools. I wanted to be sure of an acceptance, and I needed to increase the odds.

Some schools will ask how many you have applied to. My answer was always, "I have narrowed it down to three top schools" regardless of where I was. I always told the ADCOMS that there school was head and shoulders above the rest on my list. Should you do this....? That is up to you, not me.

Good Luck:)

I'm applying to about 20 schools. I'm not worried about looking 'desperate' because I AM!!! I really wanna go to d-school, and i'll go to the best school that takes me. period. and if the 'worst' school is the only one i get into, than you bet your ass I'm going and I'll be happy as a pig in **** to be there. If i could I would apply to every school!!! Don't listen to myths/advice that put YOU at a disadvantage, you always have to think about where people are coming from with their advice...

This is one of those questions only you can answer, and that answer usually comes after December 1st. In general, if you have decent numbers, apply early (and by that I mean from May to August), and target a few schools whose admissions numbers match your own you should get some interviews. I was panicked that I wasn't going to get in so I applied to 15 schools; I ended up withdrawing from several, canceling interviews, and kicking myself for not listening to my advisor who suggested a lower number. It's funny how hindsight is always 20/20.

I wouldn't just apply to 15 random schools if I were you. I would do some research and apply to the schools that you have the best chance of getting into. I am not saying you can't throw in a few dream schools as well, because you never know if you will get a surprise acceptance, but the majority should be to schools you know you have a descent chance of getting into. As far as research goes just go to your school library or order the Official guide to Dental Schools by the ADEA and it has stats for all the schools. Some of the stats include acceptance to in state cmpared to out of state, acceptance of minorities to majorities, average DAT/GPA for accepted students, etc. For example, you don't want to apply to Houston or San Antonio if you are not in state (unless it is a dream school then you can give it a shot) because 99% of the accepted students were in-state Texas residents. So this is just an idea on how to go about selecting your schools so you can in the end save a little money.

Personally, I only applied to 4 schools. I was orginally planning on applying to 5, but my pre-dent advisor talked me down to 4. My stats are above average, but nothing amazing. Out of the 4, I got 3 interviews, 2 waitlists and a Dec 1st acceptance to my #1 choice school. My advice is not to apply anywhere you would not want to go to if you were accepted. I know many people who applied to 15 schools, got 10-12 interviews and ended up declining interviews because they were too expensive to go to. If you have the time and the money to apply to 15+ schools, then go for it!