buuurn out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's nothing more comforting that normalization.

Is first year burn out common? I'm under no illusion that the next few years are going to be anywhere near easy, so I'm worried that I've burn out so quickly. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am the one who chose not to come to UF last year. It was one of the hardest decisions that I have ever made. It was a great school and a great program, but I could tell how much work it would be - and I have been accustomed to that with my 80 hour a week job anyway, so I thought I needed to get some more money saved up and pick a location that would work better for us.

I am applying again this year - to more low key places, we'll see how it goes. I think it is hard when you go straight through to have any perspective - but you would be overwhelmed in MD, JD, or MBA program and in alot of jobs, I promise. Just focus on the good, lean on those who are there for you, share the load, pray, and stay close with your friends and family. A career is a lifetime - and you are making that happen.

Best of luck to you! :)

The first year is the hardest - they make it that way. I was completely incoherent after my first semester finals (for a good 2-3 days) - my husband can testify to that!

In retrospect, it still sucked. But, long run, I'm doing what I LOVE!!! It was worth it... Try to keep the big picture in mind. It's meant to be hard, but you are there for a reason.

I'm compelled to convince/encourage you to hang in there, but honestly, that's something you have to decide for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first year is the hardest - they make it that way. I was completely incoherent after my first semester finals (for a good 2-3 days) - my husband can testify to that!

Exactly. That is where the majority of a university's attrition rate will come from. People who didn't realize the work, miss family, etc.

-t

I've heard first year is hardest from others, too. You are def. not alone.

However, I'm going to throw in a diff take on this because I wished more people would had responded (on topic) to a first-year post I made once. When I came in to grad school, I looked at the requirements for my first three years and saw that they only increased after first year (mainly with therapy clients). So over the whole year, I have tried not to let stuff overwhelm me because I know I'm going to end up tackling a lot more later. Also, I've tried to appreciate any "extra time" I've had this year that I wont have as a second or third year. Like others said, I'm sure this kinda thing varies by program...but ours def. has a lot more requirements after first year.

When I came in to grad school, I looked at the requirements for my first three years and saw that they only increased after first year (mainly with therapy clients). So over the whole year, I have tried not to let stuff overwhelm me because I know I'm going to end up tackling a lot more later. Also, I've tried to appreciate any "extra time" I've had this year that I wont have as a second or third year.

I totally agree! Every year I came out learning so much - but there were these bigger themes each year as well...

Year 1 - time management! Not just for getting work done, but getting some kind of life so I could remain sane for the next 4 years. It's about self-care, boundaries, relationships, friendships, loving (not resenting) the workload, etc. In retrospect, I should have probably been in therapy this year (but who has time?)... :D