Buying a new(er) car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to purchase a used or new car for dental school (excluding those who will attend NYC, etc.)? IF so, will you use your travel allowance to fund this purchase?

Members don't see this ad.

i still have my car from high school, it made it through 2 years hs, 5 years of college.... Ima see how far it can go. What i have been told is to live like a student when your in dental school so that you can live like a doctor when you graduate.

I'm going to have a hard time parting with my impala ss if I go to NYU but dental school is my goal and nothing is getting in the way. I love that car.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford a new car, i would get one, for one and only one reason. You dont have to deal with the headache of maintenance. A newer car or a new car will give u a sense of security(wont break down out of the blue) and reliance. I bought a newer car for college because icudnt take the headache of haveing to change something every month.

I have a very old car I bought in high school.....restored/modified it, but I'll be taking it off the road/insurance if I get into d-school, simply b/c I don't believe it's necessary. It sits all winter, and don't drive it much during school year. I'll come back to it in way later once d-school is over. Unless you are going to a d-school where you absolutely need a car to commute, then I would advise against taking on this expense. Or work with a room-mate, and split commuting costs if you or they have a car. I know I don't want to be worrying about finding parts for a rare old car in d-school.