• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Their commissions are higher than most online brokerages, but all-in-all they are not too bad. I'm forced to use them for my company stock options and they are fine. Although you shouldn't be trading with market orders anyway, I'd re-iterate not to do it with ETrade. Some of my friends have bitched about being screwed with ETrade market orders, but I don't use market orders so I don't know firsthand.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
a. foreign stocks that have adrs (listed on american exchanges) are usually the more solid companies, like the types you should be interested in. otherwise, leave it to the fund guys who have more experience/access to information.

b. i use market orders, because in the long run it won't matter if i paid a few cents, or even a few dollars more for the shares. however, if i'm really price sensitive, i sell a put option, which is basically a limit order that you get paid to use.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
TX
Status (Visible)
Well I called Etrade today to enquire about this great new feature, but unfortunately I wasn't impressed. The customer support seems awful (and I used to think Fidelity was bad)! Even though I love idea of being able to directly buy stocks listed exclusively on foreign exchanges, I'll wait for a company other than Etrade.

ADRs are a pretty pathetic lot when it comes to exposing one's portfolio to match the growth potential of an international market. ETFs are better, but again, they're still very limited in their offerings. There are a TON of great companies on certain international exchanges that simply aren't offered to US retail clients. And I don't know about leaving it to the "fund guys" to buy foreign stocks, since most mutual funds have limits on what percentage of their portfolio can be in a single company's stocks. And given the great performance (and expected performance) of many of these international markets, it's pretty apparant serious investors need to be able to invest more and invest more directly in foreign equities.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.