You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Buying new C arm. Do I need DSA?
Started by thecentral09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No.
Doesn't seem like it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is 10K to "prove" you were not intravascular during your epidurals, which could provide invaluable defense to you in court. To me, that is worth it.
Only if you’re doing
You do DSA on all your epidurals? That’s a lot of radiation.It is 10K to "prove" you were not intravascular during your epidurals, which could provide invaluable defense to you in court. To me, that is worth it.
You can prove the same thing by injecting contrast under live fluoro which is cheaper and less radiation than DSA.It is 10K to "prove" you were not intravascular during your epidurals, which could provide invaluable defense to you in court. To me, that is worth it.
Nay. Are there any examples of DSA making or breaking a tort case? Probably not
And there was the case of the L5 TFESI with particulate steroid causing SCI despite being done properly with DSA at a university.Nay. Are there any examples of DSA making or breaking a tort case? Probably not
DSA gives 4x the radiation and yet still isn’t a guarantee of avoiding intravascular flow.
I’ll still use DSA for my very rare cervical SNRB but that is it.
I’ll still use DSA for my very rare cervical SNRB but that is it.
If its an SNRB, im not sure DSA is helpful. If injecting results in vascular spasm, then contrast may do it as well. As long as you aren't injecting particulate steroid, Im not sure DSA helps...
Depends on where I am. I’d rather not inject anesthetic into a radicular artery.If its an SNRB, im not sure DSA is helpful. If injecting results in vascular spasm, then contrast may do it as well. As long as you aren't injecting particulate steroid, Im not sure DSA helps...
Agree that if not injecting particulate steroid, then 99% of the time DSA is not needed
Tough question.
Very useful to have (maybe) when you need it. But when will you need it? Likely never.
I used to use it a lot (I hardly ever do anymore). Truth be told, those times there WAS vascular uptake, I could see it already. I don't think I ever saw something that I failed to see with live fluoroscopy but then picked it up on DSA.
Very useful to have (maybe) when you need it. But when will you need it? Likely never.
I used to use it a lot (I hardly ever do anymore). Truth be told, those times there WAS vascular uptake, I could see it already. I don't think I ever saw something that I failed to see with live fluoroscopy but then picked it up on DSA.
Correction, when doing cervical TFESI...For cervicals DSA is a must.
Which are slower, carry greater risk, force one to use nonparticulate and are no more effective than ILESI.
I have told all the surgeons I work with that I don't do cervical TF ESI, they acknowledge it, but keep sending me cervical TF ESI. I just tell patient I no longer do those and change to interlaminar. I can see there could be some diagnostic utility in a cervical TF ESI but not worth the risk.Correction, when doing cervical TFESI...
Which are slower, carry greater risk, force one to use nonparticulate and are no more effective than ILESI.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get referrals for C3-4 and C4-5 CESI.
Always seem to go at C7-T1 though.
They don't have our literature.
And I don't tell them where to put the screws.
Always seem to go at C7-T1 though.
They don't have our literature.
And I don't tell them where to put the screws.
Yeah...I just do the C7-T1 IL and no one knows the difference.I have told all the surgeons I work with that I don't do cervical TF ESI, they acknowledge it, but keep sending me cervical TF ESI. I just tell patient I no longer do those and change to interlaminar. I can see there could be some diagnostic utility in a cervical TF ESI but not worth the risk.
Prior auth issues?Yeah...I just do the C7-T1 IL and no one knows the difference.
I do ctfesi on direct referral. Mri is reviewed. Arteries located. 25g needle tip only to lateral border of foramen. dex w 0.2cc lido. DSA. Exiting root flow obtained. done.
No one sends anymore to me for CTFESI, but when they did we just submitted new procedures orders and did the C7-T1.Prior auth issues?
I do ctfesi on direct referral. Mri is reviewed. Arteries located. 25g needle tip only to lateral border of foramen. dex w 0.2cc lido. DSA. Exiting root flow obtained. done.
In my residency, all we did was CTFESI. In my fellowship, don't even mention CTFESI.
Utility of diagnostic SNRB, or is this a therapeutic inj?Prior auth issues?
I do ctfesi on direct referral. Mri is reviewed. Arteries located. 25g needle tip only to lateral border of foramen. dex w 0.2cc lido. DSA. Exiting root flow obtained. done.
And MRI reviewed showing VA is not near your path.I don’t disagree with anything being said here… But according to Tim Maus, when’s performed prudently, the literature does not really support that TFESI has more significant adverse events an ILESI. The key obviously being that dex is used here.
No thanks. Not worth the wrvu.
And MRI reviewed showing VA is not near your path.
No thanks. Not worth the wrvu.
Correct. Fair.
I have told all the surgeons I work with that I don't do cervical TF ESI, they acknowledge it, but keep sending me cervical TF ESI. I just tell patient I no longer do those and change to interlaminar. I can see there could be some diagnostic utility in a cervical TF ESI but not worth the risk.
Im surprised lig. I know you can do ctfesi in ur sleep.
I can and have done many in the past, but stopped about 5 years ago or so. Good doc nearby had a terrible complication from one.Im surprised lig. I know you can do ctfesi in ur sleep.
I can and have done many in the past, but stopped about 5 years ago or so. Good doc nearby had a terrible complication from one.
Do you know the details?
Much appreciated if you’re able to post the literature you’re referring to.I get referrals for C3-4 and C4-5 CESI.
Always seem to go at C7-T1 though.
They don't have our literature.
And I don't tell them where to put the screws.
Much appreciated if you’re able to post the literature you’re referring to.
Avoiding Catastrophic Complications from Epidural Steroid Injections
Epidural steroid injections are frequently performed for patients with lumbar and cervical radiculopathy, the accepted indications. A review of Medicare
www.apsf.org
Never do any epidural:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 24
- Views
- 3K