Bye med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're kidding right? This kind of thing happens every day. There's a reason they call them "weed out" classes. Only 12 people made it through my 50-person biology sequence at a community college; even fewer of them were pre-med. This does not surprise me one bit.
I think I get the struggling-with-gen-chem part (like you said ... common issue) and what is more surprising is the sudden nevermind-about-this-med-school-thing-I'm-done-PS-grad school?

I think I get the struggling-with-gen-chem part (like you said ... common issue) and what is more surprising is the sudden nevermind-about-this-med-school-thing-I'm-done-PS-grad school?
It's probably the OP's coping mechanism, akin to applicants saying "I never wanted to go to [insert dream school] anyways" after they get rejected.

That, or the OP is just a low-grade troll.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably the OP's coping mechanism, akin to applicants saying "I never wanted to go to [insert dream school] anyways" after they get rejected.

That, or the OP is just a low-grade troll.

I just don't want to sacrifice more than 8 years of my life to a career. I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Med school is extremely hard and I'd prefer doing something else that I love but that doesn't take so long. Too expensive. Ik you guys really want to go to med school so you do you! Wishing all the best of luck to you guys! You can do whatever put your mind to!!! Working in the medical field is an amazing career but it's just not for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Fare thee well, Felicia.
May the sun be upon your face,
And the wind at your back.
As you pass the fields in which I grow my f****,
lay thine eyes upon it,
and see that it is barren.

Reactions: 10 users
Whether you're going to graduate school (for science) or medical school, you're going to need a competitive GPA. You're more than capable of bringing up your GPA to a respectable one IF you're willing to put the work in. Assess your study habits. Go to office hours. Talk to your advisor. Sitting and wishing that you could have done more will only do so much.

Reactions: 1 users
I just don't want to sacrifice more than 8 years of my life to a career. I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Med school is extremely hard and I'd prefer doing something else that I love but that doesn't take so long. Too expensive. Ik you guys really want to go to med school so you do you! Wishing all the best of luck to you guys! You can do whatever put your mind to!!! Working in the medical field is an amazing career but it's just not for me.
Whatever field you enter, you're going to have to learn to work hard and struggle. It's funny when people think that something else would be 'easier'.

Grad schools generally require a 3.0 undergrad gpa to be competitive.

Pretty sure there is one med school that takes applicants who have not taken o-chem but it is geared toward bringing humanities majors into the fold.

Not sure this is a good path for OP though given that there seems to be no head for analytical thinking there.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure there is one med school that takes applicants who have not taken o-chem but it is geared toward bringing humanities majors into the fold.

Not sure this is a good path for OP though given that there seems to be no head for analytical thinking there.
Dissed by LizzyM! I don't think it can get any lower than that...

Reactions: 1 users
y.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Whatever field you enter, you're going to have to learn to work hard and struggle. It's funny when people think that something else would be 'easier'.

If they find something that they like doing, they will understand it better. Its not easier but i actually enjoy learning about it. Even though being a basket weaving major could be a bit easier than pre med, I would struggle so much because I would find it extremely boring. I will be more motivated to work in my field because it's classes I enjoy going to.

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely thought this was going to end in "...California Northstate University" ;)

The problem is that G-Chem 1 is one of the baby pre-reqs for med school. Saying that the classes are ridiculous doesn't negate the fact that it is your responsibility to learn the material and perform.

You don't have to be a genius to get to med school, but you have to have a certain baseline intelligence to get through it. As it stands right now you are not showing that. You either need to figure out how to study, or pursue a career that is more fitting.

The problem is that G-Chem 1 is one of the baby pre-reqs for med school. Saying that the classes are ridiculous doesn't negate the fact that it is your responsibility to learn the material and perform.

You don't have to be a genius to get to med school, but you have to have a certain baseline intelligence to get through it. As it stands right now you are not showing that. You either need to figure out how to study, or pursue a career that is more fitting.

Baseline intelligence OR just a willingness to seek help until you understand it.

What do you want us to do? Pat you on the back and feel sorry for you? That won't change anything. You ****ed up. You know what you have to do to dig yourself out of this hole.

This isn't a pity party.
Give helpful advice? What the **** is wrong with you?

Reactions: 3 users
You can do flexmed programs to avoid orgo

That's not a reason why people pursue those programs, and besides, the increased competition to get into one of those requires very strong academic and extracurricular credentials. So bypassing ochem to get into med school may be possible, but it is much more difficult.

That's not a reason why people pursue those programs, and besides, the increased competition to get into one of those requires very strong academic and extracurricular credentials. So bypassing ochem to get into med school may be possible, but it is much more difficult.
I know, but I believe there is always a way to do something, and in this case there is so I wanted to share it. He doesn't have the credentials for it, but it would have been an option

Your desire to be called "Doctor," in addition to some other traits your posts suggest, make me think you'll be a successful chiropractor.

Last edited:
I just love it when people want to to be a doctor, then realize it's too hard, and then blame it on "I don't want to go to school forever and be in a lot of debt anyway." Funny how you don't hear people with 4.0's saying that... :whistle:

2 months from now:

Guys I got a 3.2 in my spring semester, bringing my cGPA to 2.5. I'm back on the pre-med track. WAMC?

-OP

Reactions: 2 users